[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
mpeg4 option for slower PCs ?  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
toolman2k10

just realised i was typing what i was thinking, and i use more words than neccessary, so here's the short version:

please add:
- mpeg4 video option for slower pcs
- option to set buffer size in seconds
- more encoding controls like bitrate, encoding passes, video codec, audio codec (grouped in advanced panel?)

------------------
Long version:

first of all: this is one cool app its very simple and fast. i love it.

however, i noticed that you're using avc/h264 for video encoding...while this is a very efficient codec, but demands alot of power from your PC.

I have done some tests on my good old P4 2.8Ghz, h264 encoding is crawling slow, but mpeg4 is about 2x realtime, which is enough for live transcoding. mpeg4 at, say 700kbps, looks very good to me, seems identical.....but is way less stressing on my PC.
so my request is:please add an option to use mpeg4 instead of h264. this way lots of users can use their dust collecting pcs as a nice video streamer, while leaving their brand new octo-core for other tasks

this shouldnt be too difficult since youre using ffmpeg. my tests were also done with ffmpeg.

also, it would be good if you could set a buffer size in seconds. that way you could let it buffer just a tad more, in order to prevent buffering during playback. network hiccups are always around the corner and this way we could set it at a "safer" level.

in general, more encoding control would be nice...you could think of having an advanced options to set codec, default resolution, buffer time, bitrate etc....that way you keep the main app simple and clean....but do offer more options for those who crave it.

now im thinking, you could even auto set encoding to mpeg4 on older machines based on specs ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/25/2009 19:50:16

Admin

Hi,

unfortunately live conversion with mpeg4 is not possible. It is possible to encode such stream but iPhone will refuse to decode it. Live streaming in iPhone is limited to x264 for video playback. (mpeg4 in m4v and mov container will work but those can't be used for live conversion).

Also we have no way to affect buffer size. It is internal to iPhone media player component over which we have no control.
toolman2k10

really? thats too bad and quite weird....another quircky Apple restriction i guess too bad....this would mean the app is usable for a much wider audience. thanks for the quick reply though!

ps. are you using the http video streaming protocol introduced in os 3.0 ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/25/2009 19:53:15

Admin

toolman2k10 wrote:really? thats too bad and quite weird....another quircky Apple restriction i guess too bad....this would mean the app is usable for a much wider audience. thanks for the quick reply though!

ps. are you using the http video streaming protocol introduced in os 3.0 ?

Yes. The protocol only allows for x264 and aac/mp3 to be in transport stream. mpeg4 is not supported.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: