[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
linux support?  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
zoidberg

Hi, first of all thank you very much for putting some effort in the Linux Version. My server here at home is a FreeBSD 8.0 AMD64 machine unfortunately. So I gave it a try and spend the last days compiling your custom version of ffmpeg. When I finally got the switches right ffmpeg compiled successfully and I fired up the jar of the AirVideoServer. Well, at first glance everything looked ok, but as soon as I navigated through my folders to the actual files the JVM crashes:

If anyone else is trying to get the AirVideo Server running properly on FreeBSD, please let me know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/10/2010 11:17:38

burnot

For those who didn’t know, a kind soul has packaged air-video-server with all its dependencies (including the custom ffmpeg version) for Arch Linux.
You can find it in the AUR, installing is as simple as typing "packer -S air-video-server" and you are up and running.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35301

Does this linux server binary also support the native iPad application right out of the box or will we have to wait for a new build?
braaam

Just tried the universal app, works a charm on both iphone and ipad. Server app worked out of the box following instructions on Ubuntu Karmic. So great! Hope to see continued support for the linux server..

It *almost* cross encodes 720p content on a 1.6GHz core duo - impressive.
Jessesn

Can we get a new Linux build that works with the latest Air Video for iPad? Functionally everything is still working great with original build you provided us, but a warning pops up saying your server is out of date whenever you connect to the server.

Thanks again for the Linux support and for including the iPad support!
Admin

You can get new build here:

http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha2/AirVideoServerLinux.jar

It's quite untested though.
Jessesn

Awesome! Thanks for the great support! It seems to all be working for me.
sassafras

What new features, if any are there in the new .jar build?

sassafras
Admin

Most significant one is improved video quality on iPad.
holmesy999

followed as many steps as I can - I now have the jar file running in a terminal, go to my ipod touch, enter my server details ip address - I am able to see the directories I specified in the test.properties file, navigate through to a file, but I get nothing - looking at my terminal screen, it comes up with a bunch of error messages, and I guess the first line is the standout one :

Exception in thread "LimitedExecutionThread" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/home/wade/ffmpeg": java.io.IOException: error=13, Permission denied

I'm guessing I either don't have the right directory for ffmpeg (which is highly likely as I don't really get directories in linux!), or that I need to set a permission for it so it can be used?
umisef

Admin wrote:You can get new build here:

http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha2/AirVideoServerLinux.jar

It's quite untested though.

Excellent! Let me add another voice to the chorus of "Thanks for the linux version".

(Now I just need to work out why ffmpeg's "-ss" option fails so miserably on raw DVB-T Mpeg transport streams from Australian digital TV... Currently, I still need to wrap ffmpeg in a small Perl script to remove non-zero seeking, or it will just spend a long time on most files without doing much of anything. Means I get my thumbnails right from the start of the file, and can't jump around during live conversion.)

Any chance that future versions may allow specifying the directory for the temporary video and audio streams created during offline conversion? Storing them with the original is a bit wasteful in situations (like mine) where the original is on a remote network share while the machine actually doing the conversion has lots of free disk.
Similarly, storing the final conversion output next to the original is not always the best thing to do --- it requires the user to have *write* access to that location, which really isn't required for anything else, *and* requires the location to have free space available. So it would be great if it were possible to configure a directory (or the base of a directory tree) where offline-converted files are stored. E.g. if I convert the file "/mnt/media/movies/hero.mpg" and configure the base to be "/home/umisef/airvideo/conversions", then the server could store the conversion in "/home/umisef/airvideo/conversions/mnt/media/movies/hero.mpg" (after creating the necessary directories).

I believe this sort of capability would be beneficial regardless of OS, too.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/11/2010 02:55:21

Map

First, thanks a lot for providing a Linux Server jar file! The Programm is really great, nor awaiting to get an iPad

holmesy999 wrote:followed as many steps as I can - I now have the jar file running in a terminal, go to my ipod touch, enter my server details ip address - I am able to see the directories I specified in the test.properties file, navigate through to a file, but I get nothing - looking at my terminal screen, it comes up with a bunch of error messages, and I guess the first line is the standout one :

Exception in thread "LimitedExecutionThread" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/home/wade/ffmpeg": java.io.IOException: error=13, Permission denied

I'm guessing I either don't have the right directory for ffmpeg (which is highly likely as I don't really get directories in linux!), or that I need to set a permission for it so it can be used?

You didn`t point to the correct ffmpeg file. The path
/home/wade/ffmpeg
only points to the folder of FFMPEG, but not to the program itself.

Change the path within the test.properties to the following:

path.ffmpeg = /home/wade/ffmpeg/ffmpeg

Don`t forget to run "make" for compiling and make install for installation, else you will probably get the same error again

Regards
holmesy999

Change the path within the test.properties to the following:

path.ffmpeg = /home/wade/ffmpeg/ffmpeg

that did it - thanks champ - really appreciate that
NickDawon

Adding one more to the long list of folks who registered just to say thanks!

The linux server is working really well with my iPad and iPhone - great solution!

The best part is that it frees up a spare 2.0ghz macbook that was living life as a dedicated Orb server.

NickDawson.net | @nickdawson
TylerL

Running the Server component on my Ubuntu recording/storage box is so very very wonderful. Thanks!

One question I have:
How can subtitles be disabled outright? There's a checkbox in the Mac UI to do this if no subtitle language matches, but no config variable for the Linux version as far as I can tell.
Admin

Subtitles probably can't be turned off by default in linux version.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: