[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
the new Apple TV & AirPlay  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
dominicwa

Admin wrote:I don't think Air Video will be able to use Air Play. It's not very likely that they expose this functionality to 3rd party developers.

Also, Air Play probably transmits encoded mp4 stream (the video itself), not decoded picture.

Yes it's looking like 3rd party support is in. In fact, app devs may not have to do much if they're already using the built-in media playback of the SDK...

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/09/huge-ios-42-native-player-airplayenabled-works-netflix-html5-videos-mlb-bat/

Does AirVideo do some other wizardry though with codecs on-the-fly etc. in-app that might prevent it from then pushing out over AirPlay? Would be a shame if this is a no-go... my purchase of an AppleTV (at least in the near future) very much depends on AirVideo's ability to do this.

Oh and I think this is my first post so... great app mate. My most used on the iPad.
Admin

Air Video doesn't use any special stuff on client side that should prevent AirPlay from working. But it's still hypothetical at best.
Mullo

Admin wrote:Air Video doesn't use any special stuff on client side that should prevent AirPlay from working. But it's still hypothetical at best.
Love your App, Only reason a bought an Apple TV was for Air Video !! hope you can get it working The best App i've used on my Ipad.
steveum

I just wish Air Video had an option that allowed you convert the videos to a format optimal for the new apple tv. Once they are added to itunes, then the apple tv can play them. The whole airplay business is sort irrelevant.

I bought one about a week ago. My experience so far is that the conversions that are targeted for an iphone don't really look great on the apple tv. I think it would really be slick to choose the video(s) you want to watch with the air video app on the iphone, but just indicate that you want the higher quality conversion. For someone like me who has a library of mkv and ts videos, this would make things seem pretty seamless.
cflocation

Wanted to chime in here. I have tested air video with airplay(audio only) and it works fine. AirPlay will play anything that uses the quicktime player. So as of now unless anything changes it will work fine at launch.

Spiderma

I did just want to say that since ive got my iphone 4 it plays all of the films ive converted for my apple tv, so if i have to plug my phone in to the tv the films look great. Where as my 3g iphone wouldnt play them.
clixia

Any official word from this from the Air Video people?

Gold Master of iOS 4.2 is out, with AirPlay support back in. As I understand it from previous postings here and elsewhere, AirPlay is open to developers.

So if I get an Apple TV, am I going to be able to tap the AirPlay button within Air Video and get my films on the TV? Sounds like a LOT of people want this...
mpmchugh

I would upgrade to the new AppleTV for this feature alone.

AirPlay from AirVideo and/or StremToMe would be great.

-mpm
stu

I would upgrade to the new AppleTV for this feature alone.

Me too. I could see a heck of a lot more AppleTV's and copies of AirVideo.app selling if this is the case.
clixia

Air Video admin people - any news on this??
clixia

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone???
vanillawafer

I have the latest iPad GM OS 4.2 and can confirm that you can't stream air video from the iPad to the Apple TV 2. This would be such an awesome feature, hope they add it soon, would be such a great feature.
Admin

I'm really not sure what we can do about it. As far as I know there isn't any API to enable Air Play in specific applications. Air Video doesn't use custom UI for media player.
vanillawafer

Was just browsing around the apple dev forums and it appears that at this time Apple TV doesn't have all the updates it needs to support AirPlay in its entirety. Lots of people can only send audio, not video. So maybe here in the near future an update to apple tv 2 will allow for this to happen.
JasonMc

I thought Airplay was going to be a 4.2 addition. I'd expect there would be an associated update for the new Apple TV, since it is also running iOS.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: