[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Air Video Client for my laptop.  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
Ayla

Admin,

QuickTime X in Snow Leopard supports live http streaming, just as the iPhone does.

Wouldn't it be possible to make an OS X client of Air Video (or even simpler, a web interface), that used QuickTime X for playing back the video stream?

I would gladly pay for an OS X client that could connect to the Air Video Server and do live transcoding, so I could watch my video library on my MacBook Pro

PS. It's a bit similar to what Elgato has done with their EyeTV Live3G app.

You connect to the EyeTV server service from a web browser and then choose which TV channel to watch and it starts playing it in Safari (with the QuickTime X framework).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/17/2010 14:09:32

Admin

It's something that we consider for future, however currently we have more pressing features that we want to deliver.
utp

sjk wrote:
chapindad wrote:Building and then supporting apps for multiple platforms is a royal pain especially when people want you to keep them up to date....

Right, which relates my comments in another thread:

Theoretically a PSP (Android, et. al.) developer could write mobile clients that communicate with Air Video Server.

InMethod might have reasons for wanting to be the exclusive AV client developer (e.g. because the server is freely available), but to me different parties possibly writing multi-platform clients seems more in the spirit of open server/client development than relying on a single party to do it.

I haven't noticed anyone encouraging InMethod to make Air Video Server open to other developers with desire and skill be writing AV clients for different platforms that InMethod hasn't expressed any interest in doing.

Thanks for the post and info, I am a programmer and am willing to look into more possibilities on the case, wonder are there any info/doc/ref on the issue? example how does the client comm. to the server?

Thanks in advance.
Admin

Hi,

the protocol is binary and closed. For various reasons we don't want to disclose it.
sjk

Admin wrote:the protocol is binary and closed. For various reasons we don't want to disclose it.

Thanks for making that clear. Looks like it closes the possibility for open third-party client development (for now). Oh well.

Air Video 2.4.13 (iPad 2, iPhone 3GS [iOS 6.1.3]), Air Video Server 2.4.6-beta3u2 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.4]), 802.11g/n WLAN
utp

Admin wrote:Hi,

the protocol is binary and closed. For various reasons we don't want to disclose it.

Thanks for the quick reply, understand.
Admin

Well, we want to address that in future. There will likely be Air Video client, even though it will most probably only be fore Snow Leopard.

Btw. We did some preliminary test with the live http streaming on SL. The QuickTimeX player is different than the iPhone one, even though they probably origin from same codebase. The stream generated by Air Video Server is not yet entirely compatible with the desktop player anyway.
zeroblizzard

I'd pay for it too. I appreciate that you tested a client solution with quicktime.
Syth

[Avatar]

have an old laptop (an iBook G4) that isn't up to playing most of the videos that I have on my main machine, but I prefer sitting in bed watching stuff than sitting at my desk, but I also don't always want to hold the iPhone up and watch something, so what I do is I set AirVideo up on my iPhone and queue up some shows or a movie or something to be converted on my main Mac Pro. Often I'll start with a 30 minute show that converts quickly. As soon as it's done, I copy that file to my laptop and start watching it, while other files get converted. By the time that show is done, I will have another show or two ready to go.

I can continue to queue up more files using my iPhone even while I'm watching something on my laptop.

The converted files are small enough that I can even copy them over wifi at the coffee shop if I want (c.75 or c.160MB for 30 or 60 minute shows) and the converted files are easily handled by my old laptop and its 12" screen is just fine for watching TV shows, even if I wouldn't want to watch a special effect movie on it.

Sure, it's not quite as nice as having a streaming client, but it works surprisingly well, and I'm only waiting a couple of minutes up front to start watching something.

mach411

One more vote of support for this. I would certainly pay for a Snow Leopard client.

In the meantime, does anyone know of alternative solutions for the desktop?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/01/2010 01:29:52

solipsist

Check out Plex (www.plexapp.com), it allows you to share your media library over the Internet.
paulayres

Air Video is the DBs. I have the server running on a Windows 7 box and clients for both my iPad and iTouch all working perfectly. The only MASSIVE WISH is for a windows client to run on my Windows XP/7 Laptops which I would gladly pay for.

Once again cheers guys for a wonderful product

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/09/2011 03:57:33

nasomi

I'd also pitch in for a windows client, would make things a whole lot easier accessing videos over wan without vpn.
seecoolguy

solipsist wrote:Check out Plex (www.plexapp.com), it allows you to share your media library over the Internet.

wow this looks cool, has anyone tried it?
happyb

I would also be willing to pay a small fee to use Air Video on my MacBook Pro or iMacs. I'm often away on business and when I have free time would like to view my video collection on a bigger screen than either my iPhone 4 or my iPad. If your not going to have a product that can accomplish this do you know of another developer who might be able to stream videos from one computer to another with clarity and sound? Prefer your product since it works so well.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: