[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
air video server on windows home server  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
inlvnv

Cyacene wrote:Ah, got it. Heres how to do it.

Programs needed:
- Bonjour
- Air Video server for windows
- Windows server 2003 Installer Kit Tools
- Any Service Installer

1. Remote into your WHS and make sure Bonjour is installed (my Acer EasyStore already had it), if not, install it.
2. Install Air Video on the WHS and point it to a folder that contains some video
3. Install the server 2003 Toolkit
4. Run "any service installer".
5. You need to point the Any Service Installer to the "tools" folder where the 2003 toolkit installed to. (default is program files)
6. Point the program to install as a service to AirVideo (default is program files)
7. Name your service "AirVideo" Click "Create"
8. Right click "my computer" and select "manage"
9. Go into "services", right click the AirVideo service and go to properties. Select the "log On" tab at the top
10. Select "this account" and enter your credentials (these will be the same as what you used to remote into the WHS)
11. Hit Apply and your good to go!

Thanks for this. AirVideo finally became useful with my WHS setup. Now I'm just hoping VOB files will be supported in the next release as indicated in another post.
Maggerholm

Cyacene wrote:Ah, got it. Heres how to do it.

Programs needed:
- Bonjour
- Air Video server for windows
- Windows server 2003 Installer Kit Tools
- Any Service Installer

1. Remote into your WHS and make sure Bonjour is installed (my Acer EasyStore already had it), if not, install it.
2. Install Air Video on the WHS and point it to a folder that contains some video
3. Install the server 2003 Toolkit
4. Run "any service installer".
5. You need to point the Any Service Installer to the "tools" folder where the 2003 toolkit installed to. (default is program files)
6. Point the program to install as a service to AirVideo (default is program files)
7. Name your service "AirVideo" Click "Create"
8. Right click "my computer" and select "manage"
9. Go into "services", right click the AirVideo service and go to properties. Select the "log On" tab at the top
10. Select "this account" and enter your credentials (these will be the same as what you used to remote into the WHS)
11. Hit Apply and your good to go!

Could you specify this a bit more?
I'm a Home Server noob (having a HP MediaSmart EX490 Server), and has only installed a few dedicated Home Server Add-ins.
Is it possible to install ordinary Windows programs on a Home Server?

I would really love to have Air Video Server installed on my Media Server (haven't tried Air Video yet, as I won't bother transferring media files from Media Server til computer, install Air Video Server, just to test the app, if it won't work with Windows Home Server anyway), but I heard good things about it.

So I would really appreciate a thorough step-by-step guide.

Thanks.

Regards
Michael
hz

Admin wrote:It is possible to run Air Video Server as service (in theory), however there will not be user interface displayed so you won't be able to do any configuration. If you want to change anything then, you need to stop the service instance, log in and run it regularly (so that the GUI shows).

Hi Admin
I am having the same issue after setting up AirVideo as a service (steps by Cyacene) where when I start the AirVideo server from the UI it works just fine on my iPad but when I stop it and start the service i am unable to connect to my WHS. From your post above I am assuming once shared folders have been configured in the UI stoping the server and running AirVideo as a service should still be able to reach the folders configured through the UI? as the service actually runs the same executable - AirVideoserver.exe (confirmed through the task manager) as the one the UI runs upon launch... I guess what I am trying to ask is, after i did the one time configuration to setup the shared folders from the UI, stoping the server from the UI and running AirVideo as a service will it not take the confg changes that I did on the UI?
BTW this is an excellent product
Thanks,
HZ
Admin

Is the process with and without UI running under same user account? The config files are specific for user accounts.
hz

Admin wrote:Is the process with and without UI running under same user account? The config files are specific for user accounts.

yup... from the same user account on the whs
Chriscic

Thanks Cyacene for those instructions. I was able to get Air Video up and running great on WHS as a service.

However, I ran into problems trying to upgrade to the latest version. The updated version would not install because it said Air Video was already open. I hit retry multiple times, but it would not close the open version (as it did just fine when I installed on my Win7 PC). Note also that there is no Air Video in my system tray, so I have no way to access it to close it.

So, I went ahead and killed the Air Video process via task manager and then installed the update no problem. However, now when I access WHS Air Video (from my iPhone), the WHS server is listed, but there's nothing in there. I can run a second Air Video session which works fine with the correct shared folders, but I can't get the version that's already running as a service to work... I can't even figure out how to access it directly, since again it's not in the system tray (but I know it's still running via task manager and the fact that if I try to open Air Video again I get a warning).

So, I am stuck. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Is there a way to *stop* running it as a service long enough to fix it, then add it back? Is there any way to direclty access the running version so I can re-add the shared folders?

Any help appreciated. Thanks,
-Chris C.
Chriscic

I can't figure out if 2.42 won't run properly as a service or if I scrambled something else along the way. I tried deleting Air Video and re-adding as a service, but not I just have two different service entries for Air Video, and neither of them work.... I I start service I can see the Air Video server from my iPhone, but no folders are shared. Grrrrr.....
captain semtex

I initially also could not get 2.4.2 to work as a service after I upgraded... but I finally got it working. Here's what a did.

1) Remote connect to your WHS
2) Right click on My Computer and choose Manage.
3) Click on Services
4) Click on your Air Video service and choose "Stop"
5) Now click on Start/Run... and enter cmd. This will open a Command window.
6) We need to get to the Windows Resource toolkit folder. If you installed it in the default place then in the command window you can enter...
CD \PRO*\WINDOWS RE*\T*
7) In the same way that we used the AnyService installer to install AirVideo as a service, we are now going to remove it.
In the command window enter...
INSTSRV.EXE "your Air Video service name" REMOVE
(If you have 2 Air Video services, remove both of them)
9) You should see a prompt that the service has been removed and if you refresh the Services view you should see that the Air Video service is gone.
10) Now uninstall your old AirVideo server using the standard Add/Remove programs.
11) At this point I rebooted WHS, but it may not be necessary.
12) Now download and installed the 2.4.2 server and carefully follow the above instructions by Cyacene.
13) NOTE: Make sure you follow steps 9 and 10 in Cyacene's guide. I forgot those first time around.
14) I did a final reboot and everything works perfectly again.

Hope this helps
[WWW]
Chriscic

Awesome! Thanks so much. I just couldn't figure out how to remove a service.

One additional question. Per the original instructions, for step 2 presumably I have to open Air Video. Do I close it then before proceeding, or leave it open? I can't remember what I did the first time but don't want to mess up the second go round.

Thanks again,
-Chris C.
Chriscic

Rats, didn't work for me. Same thing, server shows up in Air Video client but it's empty. I still have to run it manually and leave it open to work.

I didn't reboot where you did, and I did close Air Video before adding it as a service; wouldn't think that would make any difference though.
captain semtex

Sorry you are still having problems. I assume the previous version did work so we know that fundamentally your network is good.

Take a deep breath then follow my instructions again to remove all instances of the Air Video services from your WHS and then uninstall the program using Add/Remove programs. Basically you want to remove all traces of ever having AirVideo installed. Then reboot.

Then follow Cyacene's original instructions to install AirVideo.

In answer your question about step 2, I ran the GUI to define the folder that contains my video, then I closed the program and also quit it from the system tray.

Another thing worth trying...

In the Remote tab in the GUI, click to enable access from the internet, but uncheck the Automatically map port option. Take a note of the server PIN. Now close the GUI, quit it from the system tray. If you are trying this after you have installed the service then open the Services and stop and then start again your AirVideo service. It will now pick up these new settings.

In your ipad, when you add a new server use the Server PIN option and enter the number you noted above. That should work.

Regards
[WWW]
n0vaic

what i can do to have connection from out side 3g connection or to use diferit wi fi
with my wi-fi is working perfect but if i trie to connect from another wi-fi doesn,t work
can somebody help me
n0vaic

what i can do to have connection from out side 3g connection or to use diferit wi fi
with my wi-fi is working perfect but if i trie to connect from another wi-fi doesn,t work
can somebody help me
cga

Excellent guide for installing server on WHS 2003. Good to see whs users moving on

I have tested previous build which is very sluggish loading movie and stop several times when playing even over WiFi connection

Beta 5 is excellent, movies play over 3g network as a dream

Thanks for the guide Cyacene

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: