[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Best Format/Settings to rip for the iPad  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
pds6

I have ALL Apple equipment.

I have not tried every setting.

With this in mind, the following settings on HandBrake stream across all my platforms (AirVideo WiFi, MiFi and 3G: Apple TV, Touch, iPad and iPhone)

VIDEO:
MP4 file with iPod 5G support
Video Codec: H.264 (x264)
Framerate (FPS): Same as source
Constant quality: 60.78% RF: 20

AUDIO:
I automatically sample at 128 bits

Good Luck
edrikk

This doesn't make much sense...
You should not down-sample your originals so far down so as to meet the iPad's low resolution display capabilities... Especially when there are software (such as AirVideo) which can down convert on the fly.

What about next year when the new iPad comes out, and can handle higher resolutions? How about the rumored / soon to be announced updated Apple TV?

Will you re-rip all your files again because the 640 X xxx quality will look bad on your big screen TV...

Moral of story: Rip as high as you can (taking into account amount of space you can spare), and then use software to meet lower max. resolution on the fly.

Oh, and stick with H264 format. Whether you put it in an MKV container or MP4, doesn't matter, but right now, H264 is probably best compression to visual quality ratio king.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/31/2010 23:52:26

pds6

@ edrikk - "You should not down-sample your originals so far down ... "

If this was address to my setting, all I can tell you is that hundreds of movies look great on my iPhone, Touch, iPad, and both my 55 inch and 50 inch televisions via Apple TV.

It's fast, no error messages and looks great without issue across all my platforms.
edrikk

pds6 wrote:@ edrikk - "You should not down-sample your originals so far down ... "

If this was address to my setting, all I can tell you is that hundreds of movies look great on my iPhone, Touch, iPad, and both my 55 inch and 50 inch televisions via Apple TV.

It's fast, no error messages and looks great without issue across all my platforms.

Well, my comment was a general statement, not at your settings. What works for each individual, is well, their progative.

At the end of the day, I think it's best to have the OPTION to reduce quality, as oppose to wishing that one could have the video in better quality (which may, or may not involve a lot of work if [for example] many sources have to be re-ripped).

For example, I ensure that I have 5.1 audio on all my files. I then downsample to 2 channel for devices that must have that...

I'm not picking at your practices, just sharing my thoughts.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/01/2010 05:35:03

pds6

@ edrikk - "best to have the OPTION"

You are not wrong, just different solutions to the problem.
cocopark2010

i like leawo dvd ripper
santiagodraco

pds6 wrote:@ edrikk - "You should not down-sample your originals so far down ... "

Sorry for the late reply folks but I do have to agree with edrikk, and as a general rule to ALL users out there, you should not rip to the lowest common denominator. While you may think it "looks great on your 55 inch lcd" I can assure you that on my 55 movies converted to support an ipod format or even ipad native don't look even close to as clean and crisp as a movie stored in it's native 1080p (if say ripped from Blu-Ray).

Also this forum is about AirVideo. AirVideo eliminates the need to remove quality from your source movies in order to play them since it converts on the fly.

Always leave your source in as high a resolution (closest to the source) as you can afford (storage cost is higher for example) and let the AirVideo server send the video stream in the format you require. This way when you DO want to playback on your 55 inch lcd tv you wont have to sacrifice quality.

Not an attack, just best practice.
JokerT

For me, MacVide iPad Video Converter is the best video converter.

I like it.
Clintstone

I have been very happy with using hand-break in the Apple TV format. It saves space from the MKV file and the quality is very good on the apple TV and the Ipad.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: