[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
linux support?  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
jcheshire

Hot damn, this is FANTASTIC! I got it up and running on my home server running Karmic and it is a dream come true. I immediately purchased the full version app for the house iPhones and iPad. You guys are fantastic.

A quick note to others, you can get Bonjour to work on the Linux version if you're willing to deal with Avahi. Details on getting Avahi up and running are here and improved upon here. To advertise that you've got an Air Video Server running on that machine, simply add the following to your Avahi service configuration (mine is at /etc/avahi/services/multi.service):

Seriously, this is a magNIFicent little piece of software. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
pfn

Sweet, I have airvideo server running on Linux now as well. I am definitely buying airvideo for my ipad, it's so awesome.

I was able to build mp4creator static, but did not have success building ffmpeg static. Admin, if you're interested, I can send you my statically built mp4creator.

Being able to run airvideoserver on linux is a huge win. I have a Linux server that sits in the cloud with huge amounts of bandwidth; I can now stream videos from my server to my ipad anywhere I am, with top quality. I get very crappy bandwidth at home (500kbps upstream max).

This makes me happy.

(I'm really responding in order to get notifications when there are updates )

edit: Oh yeah, I have a 4 letter password in airvideo.properties and it works for me

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2010 02:47:00

fmeesters

My server is running FreeBSD 8 and I'd love to run the air-video-server on this machine. I can run the jar, but it's not compatible with the current ffmpeg from the freeBSD-ports. I tried to compile the customized ffmpeg provided by inmethod, but I can't get is configured, getting errors like "FAAD test failed.".

Anybody got air video server running on a FreeBSD machine?
pfn

I don't know why everyone recommends building with faad, but I built my ffmpeg using only faac and the result works perfectly fine.
Admin

Well, the ffmpeg aac decoder doesn't support all AAC profiles that faad does. Some people complained about Air Video not being able to handle certain AAC streams; That's why we use faad. If that doesn't concerns you feel free to build it without FAAD support.
fmeesters

FAAD is not especially the problem here at my FreeBSD 8 system. When running the configure it seems none of libraries are found, but I'm sure they are installed on my system.
Admin

Are the headers also installed? On linux it's usually something like libfaad and libfaad-dev. I'm not sure how this works on FreeBSD.
fmeesters

Sorry, think I'm kind of a noob. I installed all the required libraries using the ports in FreeBSD. There seems to be only one port on FAAD, none with "-devel". But none of the required libraries (FAAD, FAAC, x264) are found, so I think the problem is in FreeBSD being different from Linux and where it installs it's library-files. I looked in de configure file, but it seems like all the locations (PATH's) are correct tough.

It would be so much easier if air-video didn't require a customized build of ffmpeg, or if it was somehow pre-compiled included......

I hope there are some more experienced FreeBSD-users here to help me solve this problem.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/02/2010 20:29:32

zoidberg

FAAD test fails because it can't see the FAAD headers. It can't find it because the provided configure script and shell scripts used are intended for Linux and not BSD which has some minor differences in locations used for libs and headers. I used this configure target to compile the custom airvideo ffmpeg sources:

Make sure you are using a x264 version > 0.83 and adjust the paths to your needs. Unfortunately, once I had ffmpeg compiled and everything set up the JRE crashed. I blame it on the non-vanilla version of Java on FreeBSD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/02/2010 20:46:32

fmeesters

Thnx for helping me zoidberg!

To bad it's not going to work...
tck

All the bits to make it work are above. After a couple of hours of fiddling, and installing my first ubuntu distro, I have a relatively small VM running the server. With that I happily purchased the client for the iPad.

I think I am the third person to ask this now, but want to show support for the request for a new feature. Namely, all of my source videos are mounted read only in my VM, so I would like to ask for the ability to use a different local directory to store offline converted video files.

Nice app. Very simple to get working with the Mac version and some geeky play time getting it working in a ubuntu vm.
execute

Got this running on my headless ubuntu 9.10. I stream my videos anywhere I go. Awesome! When do we get the latest linux version?

You just made me buy the full version because of this, I'd like to point out.

On a side note, I requested a few features on another thread that might interest the people on this thread. I'm sure we have somewhat similar reasons why we've setup Linux media servers (flexget + transmission + air video). I'd like to quickly enumerate them here:

1. Mark as unwatched/watched (local on the device or on the server)
2. Mark server directories as a TV shows, movies or music videos directory and then finally,
3. Boxee type of filename recognition for synopsis, episode/season, album art, etc.

Thanks again and more power!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/2010 17:05:17

jcheshire

I didn't explicitly state it, but I think it's worth noting: I also purchased the full version because there was a Linux server. Again, thanks for a great product.
pfn

I've been trying to use air video on linux more and I'm running into this problem:

DEBUG: LiveConversion: Getting segment 17
DEBUG: LiveConversion: Segmenter thread exception: Stream closed
DEBUG: LiveConversion: Encoder thread exception: IOException - Stream closed

When this occurs, the air video client gets reset and starts streaming the video over from the beginning again, ugh! This makes the videos just about unwatchable.

Is this something that anyone else has been experiencing?

Immediately prior to the print statements, there's an EofException that is like this:

DEBUG: LiveConversion: Getting segment 1org.mortbay.jetty.EofException
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpGenerator.flush(HttpGenerator.java:760)
at org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.flush(AbstractGenerator.java:564)
at org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.write(AbstractGenerator.java:585)
at com.inmethod.air.video.v0221.playback.live.LivePlaybackFilter.doFilter(LivePlaybackFilter.java:122)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
Admin

EofException can happen during seeking (will be fixed in new update), but shouldn't happen during regular playback.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: