[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
No Audio on iPhone 4 When NOT Using Headphones  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
glynor

Okay, this is odd...

I'm one of the lucky preorders and got my new iPhone 4 today. I tested out AirVideo on it, of course. It works great, except for one thing... The audio doesn't work IF you are NOT using headphones. In other words, the sound does not work via the built-in speaker. The Volume control slider just isn't there at all, as though the video doesn't contain an audio track (or as though you are using an external set of speakers that connect via the dock connector). This applies to all of my videos, all of which still work on my 3G and my wife's 3GS. If you plug in a set of headphones, the Volume slider re-appears and the sound works fine through the headphones.

I haven't tried using the phone in my external dock-connector speakers yet, but I can test them later if it would help.
Admin

This happens when your phone is muted.
glynor

Ha ha ha! Wow. I feel dumb. Sure enough, the mute switch is on.

Oops.
Greg676

this never used to happen though. my phone is ALWAYS muted, since I usually use AirVideo in bed at night, and dont want my ringer going off when I am sleeping. Audio always used to work when the phone was muted. Is this ANOTHER OS4 issue? Seems like Apple really screwed over everyone from the app developers to the consumers with this brutal OS4 update.
Admin

This is just how iPhone Media Player works now by default. I don't see any reason why the mute switch shouldn't work in Air Video (as it does with other applications).
Greg676

I can still use the ipod and run ipod videos with audio when the phone is muted. Will AirVideo be going back to the old way and have audio work with the mute switch muted?
Darcy

Thank you for asking this question, I was stuck on this for DAYS.

Using iPhone 3G, so I'm guessing this is an iOS4 thing, not just iPhone 4.
violincredible

Ha! And D'oh!

I just fell for the same thing:

-"OMG Air Video has broken! No Sound!";
-Mess around for 5 mins;
-Do a quick Google;
-(arrive here)
-Apply palm to forehead with resounding slap,
-Shake head sadly,
-Ponder onset of dementia.

Re the "Bug or Feature" aspect of the mute button's new almost universal effect
(I hope the alarm keeps ignoring it or I'll be very late for a lotta important-type things):
It seems reasonable in one sense for apps to respect it, BUT I do like cutting the sound on a couple of noisy games instantly etc.

My ideal behaviour would be that the mute button:

-Always mutes incoming calls, texts, emails and all push notifications,
-Mutes ALL current sound from all apps when moved to the "Mute" position.
-While in "Muted" mode allow sound from apps I then launch (or, better still, an pref option for "sound", "no sound" or "ask each time");
-Re-mutes everything when flipped on and off. (or off and on, if you see it that way...)

I guess the best solution would be to have an app or pref for it's behaviours,
but unlikely given Apple's absolute phobia about altering the function of the buttons (eg: This recent example)
If anyone knows of such an app or pref, please share your experience. (um, unless JB related discussion is frowned on by the mods?)

It's quite reasonable to wish to enjoy Air Video on the iDevice's inbuilt speaker/s while muting texts and phone calls, consarn it!

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 08/15/2010 10:09:28

chris80

Admin wrote:This happens when your phone is muted.

It's not a Mute switch it's Ring/Silent switch which is meant for unexpected (notifications, calls etc) or feedback sounds.

Apples Human Interface Guidelines say: "Media playback in a media-only application is not silenced by the Ring/Silent switch because the media playback was explicitly requested by the user."

and from the Audio Session Programming Guide: "Should your application’s audio be silenced by the Ring/Silent switch? The answer to this question is “Yes” if audio is not essential for effective use of your app. An example might be a note-taking app or a game that lets users discretely use the app in a meeting—without its sound disturbing others. A pronouncing dictionary, on the other hand, should ignore the Ring/Silent switch and always play—the central purpose of the app requires sound."

Thats why the Ipod, youtube safari app etc have audio when the phone is set to silent.

Admin

I'm not trying to convince you that the current behavior is correct. It has changed because of change in iOS firmware, it should be fixed in next Air Video update.
kennguyen

Admin wrote:I'm not trying to convince you that the current behavior is correct. It has changed because of change in iOS firmware, it should be fixed in next Air Video update.

Solution for me!!!

My Iphone was stuck on headphones mode.

I spended 3 hours trying to reset/backup/restore/plug/unplug....

Finally, I used baby Qtips to clean out the headphone jack.

You have to get the small baby Qtips and you have to squize and roll it around between your finger tips until the cotton ball is small enough to fits in the jack.
"GET THE GOOD BRAND" make sure the stick is make out of plastic not paper, so it doesn't break in the jack and the cotton must be tight after rolling between your fingers.

You might need to do this a couple of times.
undertake

Greg676 wrote:this never used to happen though. ipad 2 Stylus Pen my phone is ALWAYS muted, since I usually use AirVideo in bed at night, and dont wantleather ipad 2 case my ringer going off when I am sleeping. Audio always used to work when the phone was muted.ipad cases leatherIs this ANOTHER OS4 issue? Seems like Apple really screwed over everyone from the app developers to the consumers with this brutal OS4 update.

Using iPhone 3G, so I'm guessing this is an iOS4 thing, not just iPhone 4.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/20/2011 06:09:20

jovani

I've looked around but this is the only thing that did the trick for me http://doubis.blogspot.com/2011/09/no-sound-from-headphones-or-speakers-on.html
pepote21

HERE'S THE EASY AND QUICK SOLUTION:

It works perfect on my iPhone 4

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/11/2011 19:49:27

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: