[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Air Video Server 2.4.5-beta7 released  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
Admin

Are you saying that QuickTime can't open the file either? I don't need the entire file, first couple of kilobytes should be sufficient.
glw

Admin wrote:Are you saying that QuickTime can't open the file either? I don't need the entire file, first couple of kilobytes should be sufficient.

yes, the files work fine in everything except quicktime and air video client.

i'm out of town this weekend and won't be home until tuesday 4/24. i can post the file then.

how do you suggest i extract out just the beginning part of the file?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/21/2012 18:41:47

Admin

What operating system are you using?
glw

Admin wrote:What operating system are you using?

i have both pc's and mac's. windows 7 and osx snow leopard or lion.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/21/2012 18:42:31

Admin

On mac you can enter the following command in Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal)

head -c 4096 <path to your file> > ~/Desktop/file.out

i.e.

head -c 4096 ~/Desktop/mymovie.mp4 > ~/Desktop/file.out

if you place the original file to Desktop and iti s named mymovie.mp4

It should create a new file called file.out on your Desktop.
glw

Admin wrote:On mac you can enter the following command in Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal)

head -c 4096 <path to your file> > ~/Desktop/file.out

i.e.

head -c 4096 ~/Desktop/mymovie.mp4 > ~/Desktop/file.out

if you place the original file to Desktop and iti s named mymovie.mp4

It should create a new file called file.out on your Desktop.

Both headers are from files that are marked "invalid" by the Air Video client.

beetlejuice.out is from a file that WILL play in QuickTime
brainstorm.out is from a file that WILL NOT play in QuickTime

I have many more samples if needed (out of 300 or so there are around 20 AV invalids and maybe 60 that won't play in QT)

Filename brainstorm.out [Disk] Download
 Description from source that WILL NOT play in QT and is marked INVALID in AV client
 Filesize 4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  546 time(s)

Filename beetlejuice.out [Disk] Download
 Description from source that WILL play in QT but is marked INVALID in AV client
 Filesize 4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  526 time(s)

Admin

Where is the file from? It seems like it is unfinished - the mdat atom doesn't have size set. This can happen when the muxer is interrupted before it writes the mdat atom size, which is usually the last muxing step.
glw

Admin wrote:Where is the file from? It seems like it is unfinished - the mdat atom doesn't have size set. This can happen when the muxer is interrupted before it writes the mdat atom size, which is usually the last muxing step.

these and practically all the files are from handbrake using any dvd hd. handbrake shows no errors.

i've ripped the beetlejuice file many times with the same result and the others at least twice and continue to get the same result.

PS: i have dvdfab blu-ray ripper but rarely use it. i don't have their dvd ripper.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/25/2012 16:34:07

Admin

I've never seen handbrake generating a file without mdat atom size set. If it is indeed doing this it is a bug as such file is invalid (that's why quicktime can't open it either). VLC seems to have a workaround for broken files.
glw

Admin wrote:I've never seen handbrake generating a file without mdat atom size set. If it is indeed doing this it is a bug as such file is invalid (that's why quicktime can't open it either). VLC seems to have a workaround for broken files.

Hmmm... That's wierd... Everything else, not just VLC, can play them. The apps included in that list (that i've tested) that can play them are Boxee app on iPad, Boxee Box, StreamToMe on iPhone and iPad (your direct competitor), VLC on Windows and Mac, Windows Media Player, and XBMC on Windows. QuickTime can even play some of them that Air Video client marks as invalid. It seems to me that Air Video client is the most restrictive and the odd one out not the other way around as you imply.

Is there any tool or way to validate/change/update the headers without going through the ripping process again?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/26/2012 17:27:00

Admin

Hi,

perhaps if you could send me header from a file that QuickTime can play that Air Video can't I could look at that too, as that would be likely a different issue. The file you've sent me is clearly invalid. It is possible that some other players can handle it (because they have workaround for this specific atom size missing), but workarounds such as this lead to creating invalid files without people noticing, so I'm not very keen on doing this. I'm sure there are tools that can remux the file without transcoding. I'm not sure though why other tools based on ffmpeg would handle the file (unless the demuxer has changed in the meanwhile).
glw

Admin wrote:Hi,

perhaps if you could send me header from a file that QuickTime can play that Air Video can't I could look at that too, as that would be likely a different issue. The file you've sent me is clearly invalid. It is possible that some other players can handle it (because they have workaround for this specific atom size missing), but workarounds such as this lead to creating invalid files without people noticing, so I'm not very keen on doing this. I'm sure there are tools that can remux the file without transcoding. I'm not sure though why other tools based on ffmpeg would handle the file (unless the demuxer has changed in the meanwhile).

i already did exactly what you are asking... see my earlier post where i provided two header samples.
Admin

So the first one opens with quick time but not with Air Video? Sorry, I must have overlooked that.
glw

Since all the other players that I've listed can play the affected files without problems, it seems that the file not having the MDAT ATOM size isn't critical to the playing process. I would think it would be smarter for AirVideo to, at a minimum, at least follow the competition and play the file and maybe just add a notification to the user that the MDAT ATOM size is not valid.

PS: StreamToMe (direct competitor to Air Video) plays the Air Video "INVALID" files fine and even reports the movie size in bytes and time.

glw

Also, when you open the "invalid" file using AirVideo, it indicates that "No Video Stream found in file." Which is obviously incorrect because the file plays in practicaly all other players.

It seems the major problem is what AirVideo does when a small irregularity exists in the header...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/27/2012 20:55:16

Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
Go to: