[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Air Video Server 2.4.5-beta7 released  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
iSunrise

@developers, admin:
Just discovered this app yesterday after I bought my new Ipad (3rd Gen.) and I must say it is really amazing. What I like most about your app is the clean, minimalistic design of the GUI and it´s ease of use. It only displays what is needed and it isn´t overloaded. Also, stability is great, didn´t have a single app crash, yet.

I´ve compared the live conversion functionality of 2.4.3 and 2.4.5 beta7 and the later has greatly improved image quality at max. settings (1280x720 and 5120kbit/sec). Videos and movies are almost indistinguishable from the original files at these settings on the retina display. While 2.4.3 still had some compression artifacts at these settings, everything just looks stunning with 2.4.5. I have played like 150 different files with various container formats and codecs and I have not seen one file that Air Video couldn´t play, almost too good to be true.

I also love how smart Air Video is when it detects a compatible MP4 container (AVC/H.264, AAC) and you can just hit Play and can start streaming right away. This way, you get the best possible quality with Air Video on the Ipad.

However, I still found some things that should be easy to fix (bugs):

1) If you play back any files with a resolution of 1440x1080 (ex. from HDV cameras), the aspect ratio is wrong. They are currently displayed with a 4:3 aspect ratio, while they need to be displayed at 1920x1080 (16:9). (Or rather 1280x720, which is also 16:9)
Here´s an apple documentation for HDV that explains it: http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkflows/index.html#chapter=2%26section=6%26tasks=true

2) If you want to play back files in a M2TS container, in the preview window all you get is pixel garbage at first, this happens when you tab on an M2TS file (left pane) to preview and also if you press "Done" in the upper left corner while playback. I also had this with some WMV files.

Other than that, keep up the great work and if I find other bugs to report I will post them here.

This message was edited 10 times. Last update was at 04/28/2012 04:23:34

glw

Admin wrote:So the first one opens with quick time but not with Air Video? Sorry, I must have overlooked that.

So, I purchased DVDFab DVD Ripper and re-ripped one of the files using that instead of Handbrake. The new file is no longer listed as "invalid" and plays just fine with AirVideo client. But I stand by my earlier comments that AirVideo has problems playing files that other players can play.
Tikker

rip movies properly, and you won't have any problems

asking for compatibility with oddball configs rather than just ripping them to an approved format seems goofy to me
glw

Tikker wrote:rip movies properly, and you won't have any problems

asking for compatibility with oddball configs rather than just ripping them to an approved format seems goofy to me

you know not of what you comment.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

Admin

glw wrote:Also, when you open the "invalid" file using AirVideo, it indicates that "No Video Stream found in file." Which is obviously incorrect because the file plays in practicaly all other players.

It seems the major problem is what AirVideo does when a small irregularity exists in the header...

It fails to read the file header that is why it says "No Video Stream" found in file. This is not a small irregularity. The atom size is important. In some cases with some files the size of mdat atom can be computed from file size, but with certain files this will not be computed correctly. It is hacky at very least. I can't believe handbrake would even generate such files unless something got wrong during the transcoding and it didn't finish the muxing process.
glw

Admin wrote:
glw wrote:Also, when you open the "invalid" file using AirVideo, it indicates that "No Video Stream found in file." Which is obviously incorrect because the file plays in practicaly all other players.

It seems the major problem is what AirVideo does when a small irregularity exists in the header...

It fails to read the file header that is why it says "No Video Stream" found in file. This is not a small irregularity. The atom size is important. In some cases with some files the size of mdat atom can be computed from file size, but with certain files this will not be computed correctly. It is hacky at very least. I can't believe handbrake would even generate such files unless something got wrong during the transcoding and it didn't finish the muxing process.

Thanks for your assistance! As a work around, I'm using another ripper on these few DVD's since it appears Handbrake can't rip them properly.

In any case, I still think the fact that everything else can play the files indicates that the missing information is not critical. Also, the error message displayed by AirVideo is incorrect and should read "Header malformed" or something to that extent - instead of "No Video Stream found in file" that is displayed now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/29/2012 06:42:06

emax

Hellspire wrote:Is there a 64bit Windows release planned?

same question

iPad 3 iOS 6.1.3 . iPhone 5 iOS 7 beta 1 . MacBook Air i7 OS X 10.9 DP1
Air Video: Client 2.4.13 . Server 2.4.6-beta3
lurker

After installing this beta AirVideo starts to ignore aspect ratio written in mkv file header. i.e. 720x480 or 720x576 with AR 4:3 should look as if they were 720x540 (or 640x480, 768x576, doesn't matter), but they are played as is - shrinked or stretched.

Strange, but after reverting to 2.4.3 nothing has changed. Or maybe I was wrong and that behaviour was all the time, and I just didn't notice it before.
devious

the only problem i have noticed in my typical use is that when you select audio only as a conversion setting it trys to start playing and then cancels (and if you select the option to play next file automatically keeps skipping through all the videos you have). this is not an issue with 2.4.3.

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/10/2012 13:59:22

glw

BTW - I was able to solve my problems with files being marked "invalid" by AirVideo by either

1. re-ripping the movies using handbrake without selecting the closed caption subtitle or
2. removing all the text streams except appletext and mp4s using MP4Box and AtomicParsley

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/11/2012 16:29:44

박재선

^^
meetajhu

Inmethod FTW! This is the best video streaming software i have ever seen in my life! When are you guys gonna release 2.4.5 stable? its been in beta 7 for a very long time!!!
wftg

Playing ProRes files (ProRes 4444 / from an Arri Alexa Camera) are having artefacts while playing with live conversion...
 Filename Archiv 2.zip [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 809 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  565 time(s)

Admin

The pro-res support in ffmpeg is new and it might be immature. We are working on a version that will be able to use system pro-res codec.
Tikker

glw wrote:
Tikker wrote:rip movies properly, and you won't have any problems

you know not of what you comment.

sure seems like I did

Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
Go to: