[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Are these system specs enough for Air Video?  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
thezahir

Hello,
I am planning to run Air Video server from a home server with the following specs:
Pentium Dual Core 2,8 Ghz, with 1 GB of RAM.

Would this be enough to smoothly do live conversion of movies to my iPad?
(i would have the option to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM, but don't know if that's necessary???)

Thanks a bunch!
jonathan
Admin

The CPU probably won't be enough. You can try the Air Video Free (so you don't have to purchase the paid version), but live conversion needs Core 2 Duo or equivalent CPU.
thezahir

Admin wrote:The CPU probably won't be enough. You can try the Air Video Free (so you don't have to purchase the paid version), but live conversion needs Core 2 Duo or equivalent CPU.

thanks. I already purchased the Air Video app but I will try to see if it works with this CPU. Does the amount of RAM installed make a difference in chances (1 or 2 GB)?

Is there a certain spec list for live conversion to work, b/c it seems a bit of trial-and-error. In different places on this forum it says a duocore CPU is enough and now you mention a Core2Duo is the least minimum...
Peabo

I'm running the Air Video server on Windows Home Server (windows 2003 server) using an Intel e2200 and 2gb of ram. Air Video does max out both cores during on the fly conversion to my ipad, but it plays just fine and the server still is able to stream a 1080p movie to media center at the same time.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33925
thezahir

Just a little update as a FYI:
i have installed indeed the windows PC (Pentium D-820, Dual Core) as a Air Video Server and - although running it's ass off - it's been very capable of live conversion of AVIs and WMVs to my iPad.
Even though it's not a Core 2 Duo.

By the way: i honestly see no difference in performance with having my Macbook Pro with much higher CPU spec's being the Air Video Server... Both blaze at 100%+ CPU during the conversion.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/21/2010 09:20:47

unknown_inc

Hi. Please post your system specs in my post and I will edit it with the current working hardware. See my signature...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/21/2010 12:18:03

AVS Linux - Download & information - http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/1856.page
thezahir

unknown_inc wrote:Hi. Please post your system specs in my post and I will edit it with the current working hardware. See my signature...

As said, i am on Windows XP, SP3. CPU: Pentium D-820, Dual Core, 2.8 GHz. 2 GB RAM.
Have tested it up to 720p movies which work great on iPad and iPhone 3G.
InternetApe

[Avatar]

I'm using a P4 2.6Ghz with 1GB ram running Ubuntu and it works flawlessly over WIFI and 3g.

I had run it on a similar Windows XP system without problems as well, but I prefer Linux.
lilrabbit129

The reason you don't see much performance difference is that the lower-spec processor isn't having trouble keeping up with the stream. The higher-spec processor is just getting farther ahead with its conversion. You might see more of a difference with multiple streams at once. If you only ever plan to do 1 stream at a time, or not do anything on the machine itself while streaming then it should be fine.

Personally on my system ( Q8400, 4GB RAM), I've run 4 streams, of 4 different videos ( one or two of which were 720p if I remember correctly) to 4 different devices without a hiccup. This was to an iPad, a 3G, a 3GS and an iPod touch 1G.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: