[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Download files to iPhone for later viewing?  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
sapling

I love Air Video - and it seems like the pre-conversion would go hand in hand with downloading the files to the iPhone for later viewing. Usually streaming is fine, but if I know I'm going to be on the Edge network, or on a plane with no wireless, I'd love to be able to pick, convert, and download a couple movies from my home computer.

Any chance of this happening in the future? Is there a restriction by Apple from doing this to avoid competing with iTunes? This is the one feature I'm really missing from both Air Video and Orb Live. (Kudos to you guys though.. Air Video has been much more stable on my 3gs than Orb Live, and the file system is easier to browse.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/25/2009 05:19:31

Admin

Hi,

we didn't initially introduce it because it could be considered competing with iTunes. However we would like to implement it at some point. However there are features with higher priorities that we need to work on first.
hroo772

Admin wrote:Hi,

we didn't initially introduce it because it could be considered competing with iTunes. However we would like to implement it at some point. However there are features with higher priorities that we need to work on first.
I think if you do implement it, think about it as smart cache of video's you want to view at a future date. The Spotify app does longterm caching to allow for offline listening in places where the cell signal isn't key. I don't think your competing if your allowing "temporary" offline access to a file.
marcosdutra

I second that. Offline watching would be great.
solipsist

+1 to this feature request!

I think the best solution would be if AVS converted the stream while it was being downloaded by the client. That way movies are transferred to the device and converted on-demand and don't have to exist in converted format in advance.
LJW

Admin wrote:However there are features with higher priorities that we need to work on first.

It would be a tremendously unique feature. I would definitely pay extra or purchase a separate app to do this. I understand that my needs are not necessarily in line with the majority of customers, but for me it's the best feature you could possibly implement.
jrlepage

Admin wrote:Hi,

I would pay extra for this upgrade in a heartbeat. I agree if you can spin it as caching, or even set a limit (space/# of files) on how much you can cache, it may not be seen as competing with iTunes.

This (along with VGA out and audio support) are my top feature requests. Great app though!
idengrenme

i need this too. in fact, if air video could download the queued, converting videos in the background (perhaps using iPhone 4.0) that would be even more ideal.
Chuckkay

I wouldnt worry about it being considered compition for itunes. Apparently downloading of m4v is not a problem for apple.

Other apps like Goodreader allow downloading and storeing of m4v files, as amatter of fact, if i want a video to take on a flight, i convert it with air video, then download it with goodreader.
jrlepage

Chuckkay wrote:I wouldnt worry about it being considered compition for itunes. Apparently downloading of m4v is not a problem for apple.

Other apps like Goodreader allow downloading and storeing of m4v files, as amatter of fact, if i want a video to take on a flight, i convert it with air video, then download it with goodreader.

Can you explain this process in a little more detail? Is this something you can do away from your home, or are you talking about the wifi transfer feature in Goodreader?
Chuckkay

jrlepage wrote:

Can you explain this process in a little more detail? Is this something you can do away from your home, or are you talking about the wifi transfer feature in Goodreader?

Yeah Before I leave on a trip I use goodreader app to connect to windows via FTP. I download the m4v videos I want.
And then I can play the video at any time thereafter, by using goodreader to play the m4v without an Internet connection.

Another app I use is shareplayer. Its Very buggy an no instructions, but it works and can download or stream most video files. No conversion needed. Even plays xvid and divx directly on iphone or ipad no conversion or streaming server required...
Just set up FTP or smb share, and browse to the folder with your videos, tap the video to stream, or tap and hold to download.
I'm surprised it got approved by apple.
Admin

Problem with shareplayer is that it can not use hardware decoder thus it will drain battery much quicker than air video. Also it won't be able to stream over 3G, at least not in future.
naevity

I joined just to say that I would love this feature, and i think it would be a huge selling point. Right now I am dealing with converting videos with handbrake and transfering via iTunes because I have terrible cell coverage on my way to work, the 1/2 have of the train ride has no service.

If I could buffer this to disk, or download early, it would be a huge time saver.
scs32

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. I've been searching for a solution to this problem forever!

This would be the perfect feature. I'm sure that others have experiences the issue. You want to take your iPad on a trip WITHOUT your laptop. However, you don't know what/you don't have room for all the movies you might want to want. You also know that you'll have internet access at times, but not always. Allowing users to convert (as you already do) and then cache would give me and others the ability to store a couple movies for the trip out and then swap out media for the way back.

There are VERY few ways to do this now (if any). Not to mention that you've got a lot of the flow already done. A button for "cache" where you manage your cache (i.e. size of cache and delete from cache) and another button on coverted media that stays "store to cache" and you're done. Yes, I realize that it's much harder than that to actually implement. I'm just showing how naturally it fits into what you're doing.

Add me to the list of people who who pay extra for this truly unique feature. Like I said -- there isn't a good way to do this now. There just isn't.
naevity

This would make a great in app purchase upgrade for $.99

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: