[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
TV Out won't work with iOS Firmware 4.0  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
reddulf

on 03/13/11 ADMIN wrote -

I'd estimate it for 7-10 days. But that's really just an estimation.

Thats about 50 days ago!?!

Could you try keeping us updated? Maybe just a post here..say...once a week...something..anything
Admin

The update is currently being reviewed by Apple.
reddulf

2.4.7 is released.

phone: 3GS
iOS: 4.3.2
Airvideo Server: 2.4.3
Airvideo App: 2.4.7

TVout NOT working......?

[Both iPod and youtube TVout are working]

Do I need the server BETA version? - going by the last page of that forum http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/255/3039.page - it seems to have its own problems

Admin

Hi,

Unfortunately Apple only allows TV out for 3rd party application on iPhone 4. We've had workaround for this but it no longer works with iOS firmware 4.3. We're trying to find a new one.
CHIMPBOY74

HALLELUJAH!

it's working on my iphone4!
MjW

Admin wrote:Hi,

Unfortunately Apple only allows TV out for 3rd party application on iPhone 4. We've had workaround for this but it no longer works with iOS firmware 4.3. We're trying to find a new one.

What does that mean? That the last AirVideo update disables video out for the 3Gs?
Admin

Well, after the firmware 4.3 upgrade the TV out didn't work on 3Gs anyway so Air Video didn't really disable it. I'll try to get it running on older iPhones.
elgatonl

So NOW that we have updated the app, to finally get some improvements, NOW you tell us that TV Out doesn't work on the 3GS? Why wouldn't you tell us that beforehand?
Before, it was far from perfect, but at least it sort of worked. Now the whole app is just totally useless to me.

And by the way, what does it have to do with the version of iOS I have? I was using Air Video with TV after the latest iOS update. It wasn't until I updated Air Video that TV Out stopped working…. What gives man?

So what about the iPod 4? Will the update also disable the TV out on that?
Admin

iPod 4 will work.
elgatonl

Admin wrote:If you are using firmware 4.3 then the next update should fix TV output for you.

So here you're saying that if i have 4.3 then the next update of Air Video will fix TV Out. I've had 4.3. since it came out and have been waiting for the "fix" in TV OUt that the new Air Video update was supposed to bring.

Now that I've updated the app, TV Out isn't working AT ALL!

Now you're saying that 4.3 actually breaks TV Out on the 3GS? Or what exactly are you saying?
Admin

The way Air Video was doing TV out before was a hack that no longer worked properly on 4.3 and we needed to rewrite it. Apple officially supports TV out only on iPhones and iPods with retina displays and iPads.
From Apple developer documentation:

Not all devices support external displays. Currently, external displays are supported by iPhone and iPod touch devices with Retina displays and iPad. Older devices, such as the iPhone 3GS do not support external displays. Connecting to an external display requires an appropriate cable between the device and display.

TV out works with Apple applications they just don't allow it for 3rd party apps. I understand that you are upset and we are trying to find a workaround for this.
elgatonl

Admin wrote:iPod 4 will work.

ok. Sorry if my posts are coming across as a bit bitchy but Air Video is one of the rare apps that I literally use all the time, every day (and paid good money to be able to do it). So you can imagine that I'm a bit upset now that the primary function (for me) doesn't work.
Admin

I do understand and I'm sorry for your frustration. We are trying to address it.
MjW

You are kidding right?

There I was, streaming a Eureka episode (a couple of hours ago) and noticing the new Airvideo update. I thought cool, at last the play/pause fix! I updated the app to only realise that video out was completely disabled. wth?

You know what? At least this thing comes to an end. It was a VERY bumpy ride the last months. I just downloaded and set up StreamtoMe where video out works flawlessly on my 3Gs and the damn thing even lets you browse the app while its on video out!

/rant off

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/2011 22:37:42

Admin

Unfortunately I'm not. The official Apple position is that TV out is not supported on older devices. Various apps are doing various thing to get around this limitation.

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: