[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Air Video Server 2.1.0-beta1 released  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
Admin

I'm pleased to announce that new Air Video Server beta version is available.

You can download it for Mac OS X Leopard and Microsoft Windows.

This release should fix problems with unicode characters in file names as well as conversion problems with certain video files.
It also has initial support for automatic port forwarding to enable access from internet. However Air Video client version that can take advantage of this feature is still under development.

For Advanced users:
If you have router with enabled UPnP or NAT-PMP support and want to help us, please download the software and test if it works in your network. Note that most routers that support UPnP/NAT-PMP have it disabled by default.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/31/2009 11:02:46

Anonymous

This worked fine on my Windows 7 box with a DD-WRT router. It gets an OK and maps the ports on the router. Not sure I can do much more to help unless you want to let me beta test the client I'm a registered iphone dev, fwiw.

Richard (comments (@) richardgoodwin (.) com)
Admin

Hi Richard,

thanks for testing the server. The client is not yet ready for beta test. Once it gets ready and we decide to do public beta testing we will contact you. Thank you for your offer!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/24/2009 20:26:04

darcilicious

First, just found about your software today and so far, it's looking pretty good! I've gone ahead and upgraded to the beta already and have this feedback:

1) Better buffering over 3G. I have a full signal currently and can't get even a converted file to play without stalling about every minute or so. Over wifi, converted and non-converted files play like a dream

2) Support for streaming .ts files (e.g. from HD-PVR). I have the 2.1.0 beta server installed on an AMD 9500 quad core 2.2GHz system and I get the message that my computer may be to slow to be able to convert this video live -- do you want to continue? Also at this point, there are two active ffmpeg processes even though I haven't tapped "continue" yet -- I think one may have been left over from browsing a folder with 20+ .ts files and trying to create thumbnails for them (which didn't look that great).

After tapping "continue", I get the "buffering" message for about a minute or so while averaging around 70% processor use; then a "This movie format is not supported." message. At this point, there is still one ffmpeg process running at about 32% but I'm not actively viewing any videos at this point.

I then browsed to another .ts file in the same folder to try converting -- got two more ffmpeg processes running and the client was stuck "loading" the file info.

So I quite the app and killed all three ffmpeg processes.

3) Generally playing around quite a bit tonight, I ended up with three ffmpeg processes running even after I quit the app and didn't have an conversions in process. They were sucking up about 75% or more of my processor.

Let me know if there's anything more I can provide.

darcilicious

Just finished converting a relatively small .ts file. I can play it in Quicktime on the computer but the iPhone app says: This movie format is not supported.
Admin

Hi,

darcilicious wrote:First, just found about your software today and so far, it's looking pretty good! I've gone ahead and upgraded to the beta already and have this feedback:

1) Better buffering over 3G. I have a full signal currently and can't get even a converted file to play without stalling about every minute or so. Over wifi, converted and non-converted files play like a dream

we can't do much about 3G buffering. The bandwidth is just too small. You have to adjust the video resolution and quality in order to have smooth playback. The buffer size is fixed (we don't have control over it) - it's managed by the internal iPhone media player component. Even if it wasn't there is not a lot of memory available to iPhone applications to do extensive buffering.

darcilicious wrote:

2) Support for streaming .ts files (e.g. from HD-PVR). I have the 2.1.0 beta server installed on an AMD 9500 quad core 2.2GHz system and I get the message that my computer may be to slow to be able to convert this video live -- do you want to continue? Also at this point, there are two active ffmpeg processes even though I haven't tapped "continue" yet -- I think one may have been left over from browsing a folder with 20+ .ts files and trying to create thumbnails for them (which didn't look that great).

Streaming ts files is supported. I'm guessing that your ts files may contain codec that is not supported. Still, I would have to see the live-conversion log to see where the problem is. You can send me a private message with it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/25/2009 05:54:41

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Regarding 3G streaming -- I'm comparing the performance of Air Video with another streaming server/application for the iPhone and it seems to handle 3G connections more or less automatically, transcoding to an acceptable bit-rate for varying connection speeds.

I re-encoded a ~330MB xvid file at the lowest resolution possible and still couldn't get it to stream over 3G without stalling after about a minute -- is this something you'll be improving upon? Or should I just plan on sticking with the other software for 3G streaming?

Regarding my .ts files, as stated they were recorded from the Hauppauge HD-PVR which uses the ArcSoft encoder. I'll send you the logfile shortly.

Thanks again!
Anonymous

darcilicious wrote:Just finished converting a relatively small .ts file. I can play it in Quicktime on the computer but the iPhone app says: This movie format is not supported.

Also, any thoughts on the above?

(Working on generating a log file but right now the beta server is so flakey I can't get it to the point of trying a live conversion of a .ts file; I've had as many as five ffmpeg processes running which pretty much locked up my computer)
Admin

We're working on update that wont's spawn ffmpeg processes for one file when thumbnail generation is too slow. Where are you TS files located?
darcilicious

Admin wrote:Where are you TS files located?
On an HP Personal Media Drive (in the personal media drive bay, but it's essentially a warm-swappable USB drive). I can try one out on a hard drive...

Any thoughts why Quicktime can play the converted .TS file but it can't be streamed via Air Video?
Admin

darcilicious wrote:
Any thoughts why Quicktime can play the converted .TS file but it can't be streamed via Air Video?

Can you try copying it on your harddrive and then stream it with beta 2 server (link posted today in announcements)?
darcilicious

Admin wrote:
darcilicious wrote:

Can you try copying it on your harddrive and then stream it with beta 2 server (link posted today in announcements)?

Will try this in a few, thanks!
darcilicious

Admin wrote:

Just a note that copying the (converted) file to another location has resulted in the client no longer recognizing it as a converted file; at that point, "live conversion" results in the same message. Reconverting the previously converted file with default settings results in the same error message. Quicktime can also play the file fine.

Copying over the original .ts file to the hard drive and converting (default settings) results in the message as well.
Admin

In order for file to be recognized as converted the original has to be in the same folder.

Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
Go to: