[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Android Support Please  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
Steffest

Of course Android supports HTTP streaming, just not with the codec/container that Air Video uses.
(and to nitpick : technically speaking its not streaming, but playing small chunks of video seamlessly after each other, which from the user perspective is even better than streaming as it makes a decent fastforward and rewind possible)

Therefore I also don't think it's coming to Android anytime soon as it would require some work on the server and client that leads away from the highly optimised iPhone path that the developers are on now.
conanandre

Are there any good alternatives to Air Video on the Android? Ive tried Orb, and oh boy does that suck compared to Air Video.
grellanl

[Avatar]

+1 to Air Video for Android. Very impressed with Air Video, and I would be excited to be able to use it on my Nexus One.
hawtdawg

Yes, we would love this! Especially on Android devices that have HDMI output! Right now I have to use a VGA cable AND and audio cable to connect my iPad to my HDTV! Thanks in advance!
koe1974

I upgraded my 3gs to iOS4 and what a shame!

It broke my TV out. As wonderful of a device the iPhone is, and I have enjoyed using it for the past year and a half, it is really awful that Apple feels it is okay to cripple an app like this. I have since reverted back to 3.13 and TV out works again. I will use it for a few more months until my contract runs out but after that, I am all set with Apple's shenanigans. This is not the first time this happened either. I bought an external battery that used to work but it's the same story.

I have to say though that AirVideo is by far the best app in the store. It works and it works well!

I hope to see it for Android because it will be a cold day in hell before I buy another Apple product!
altintx

Never worked on an android app, but am a reasonable programmer and if there's anything I can do to help (programming, testing, diagnostics, etc) to get an Android version working, please let me know. Got my first Android phone today and AirVideo is the only app I haven't been able to find an Android equivalent to.
conanandre

altintx wrote:Never worked on an android app, but am a reasonable programmer and if there's anything I can do to help (programming, testing, diagnostics, etc) to get an Android version working, please let me know. Got my first Android phone today and AirVideo is the only app I haven't been able to find an Android equivalent to.

Yea, i tried Orb, but that wasnt nearly as good as Air Video.
jonnyk

I just got a Droid X and i'm loving it, but i'm missing air video. I'd pay good money to have it on android, please try!
altintx

I've been working on transcoding http://github.com/jphastings/AirVideo to Java. Its not yet working on any level but hopefully browsing will start working in the next few days. Any UI experts want to work on that angle?
conanandre

altintx: Keep us updated please
Admin

Steffest wrote:Of course Android supports HTTP streaming, just not with the codec/container that Air Video uses.
(and to nitpick : technically speaking its not streaming, but playing small chunks of video seamlessly after each other, which from the user perspective is even better than streaming as it makes a decent fastforward and rewind possible)

Therefore I also don't think it's coming to Android anytime soon as it would require some work on the server and client that leads away from the highly optimised iPhone path that the developers are on now.

Can you be little bit more specific about this? URL perhaps?
sfterry

I just got rid of my iPhone 3GS and purchased an EVO. Please please make this app for Android. I still use it on my iPad, but miss it on my phone.
altintx

Making progress on this. Have a low level problem with encoding still that prevents AVS from understanding [the entirety of] what I say. The Ruby reference code works fine, so it's a bug in my re-implementation. Any other Java developers willing to take a look? Three days past the first time that started happening and I'm still not seeing the problem.
houseofbugs

I would gladly help write an AirVideo client for Android. Or if someone makes one I would be willing to pay for one.

~Tim
altintx

With the disclaimers that this does not [yet] play videos and at the moment, doesn't even send interpretable requests to the server, see https://code.google.com/p/avroid/ . While I hope @admin preempts us with a polished and official client soon, lets get something going in the meantime.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: