[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Petition to create a desktop Air Video client for Windows/MAC OSX  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
Author Message
HotStuff2


[Avatar]

Joined: 04/27/2010 21:48:35
Messages: 133
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Offline

Fome wrote:This will never happen. Developing this app for PC is just inviting for it to get pirated. Of course, the App Store is not piracy proof, but it's still a far safer bet.
HA! Hardly. Ah, to be naïve again... In fact, it's easier to pirate App Store apps than it is Windows apps. As was already said, just about every app in the App Store is available cracked/pirated already.

DumbTechDude wrote:This is information to all, or perhaps I am wrong..

What you guys and myself are so impressed about how Air Video works may well placed too much credit to inmethod, but unknowingly though most of the credit is probably due to Apple Inc.
I'm gonna go with "wrong" here. The credit goes to InMethod for writing the app, implementing the features (granted, they're there in the Apple OS, but InMethod wrote the app to use them), and came up with a simplistic-yet-brilliant interface (which other people seem to want to clutter up with useless feature requests - not this thread, but other ones, like asking for picture viewing, password-protecting individual folders, etc.)

I doubt there will be a desktop (Windows OR Mac) client; however, the fact that other "smart phone" operating systems (even the Android, which is Unix/Linux-based) do not support the HTTP Live Streaming protocol, and with the advent of HTML5, then it's possible that the client could be written as an HTML5 web-app, thus allowing it to be used on pretty much any smart phone (notably the Android, but the iPhone as well.) It wouldn't be a native iPhone app if it were HTML5, but it would run on any browser, including a desktop PC. But the Air Video iPhone app could still be used for iPhones, and the HTML5 web-app for other devices.

To me, that seems like it would kill two birds with one stone: an Android OS web-based client, and since it's HTML5, it could run on a standard PC as well. Video size, however, would need to be either auto-selected (preferable), or user-selectable (an option, though more code to write.)

BUT, since it would be an HTML5 web-app, the problem of how to charge for it comes up. For that, I think Voice Central's Black Swan (an HTML5 web-app for Google Voice) is a good example.. For the "free version", it's ad-supported, or users can pay a yearly subscription to get no ads. And since there's really no way to pirate an HTML5 web-app, that's a plus as well. (And before any of you say "what about ad-blocking software, like Ad-Block in Firefox?", it can be coded to either not work if ad blocking software is active, or to show ads even if ad blocking software is enabled, as Black Swan is.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/2010 20:01:51


Hans Felsh
(ISC)² SSCP & CISSP®-ISSEP® certified
CWNP Alliance CWSP® certified
CompTIA A+®, Network+®, Server+™, and Security+™
Microsoft MCSA Security, MCSE Security
(These are just some of the many certs I've collected over the years.)


‟One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” ̶ Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), American author, ‟A Message to Garcia”
Sub


[Avatar]

Joined: 05/07/2010 07:02:55
Messages: 8
Offline

I'd love to see a mac and win7 client version. I'd buy both. There may be other streaming apps out there but I haven't seen one as clean and simple as this one, and who wants to run two servers?!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/29/2010 05:22:09

jelockwood



Joined: 05/07/2010 17:11:54
Messages: 4
Offline

HotStuff2 wrote:

I doubt there will be a desktop (Windows OR Mac) client; however, the fact that other "smart phone" operating systems (even the Android, which is Unix/Linux-based) do not support the HTTP Live Streaming protocol, and with the advent of HTML5, then it's possible that the client could be written as an HTML5 web-app, thus allowing it to be used on pretty much any smart phone (notably the Android, but the iPhone as well.) It wouldn't be a native iPhone app if it were HTML5, but it would run on any browser, including a desktop PC. But the Air Video iPhone app could still be used for iPhones, and the HTML5 web-app for other devices.

To me, that seems like it would kill two birds with one stone: an Android OS web-based client, and since it's HTML5, it could run on a standard PC as well. Video size, however, would need to be either auto-selected (preferable), or user-selectable (an option, though more code to write.)

BUT, since it would be an HTML5 web-app, the problem of how to charge for it comes up. For that, I think Voice Central's Black Swan (an HTML5 web-app for Google Voice) is a good example.. For the "free version", it's ad-supported, or users can pay a yearly subscription to get no ads. And since there's really no way to pirate an HTML5 web-app, that's a plus as well. (And before any of you say "what about ad-blocking software, like Ad-Block in Firefox?", it can be coded to either not work if ad blocking software is active, or to show ads even if ad blocking software is enabled, as Black Swan is.)


After seeing all the excitement over AirVideo I came to their site specifically to see if it could be used to stream to a Mac or PC and was disappointed to see it could not. So firstly +1 from me as well.

Like HotStuff2 says, the obvious solution is to use HTML5 and a webclient. Regarding charging, I had thought charging was going to be solely by charging for the server software not for the client. If they had made the client free but the server not, then this problem would have been avoided. It maybe too late, but perhaps they should consider inverting their pricing model.
ZacWolf



Joined: 04/22/2010 18:21:58
Messages: 5
Offline

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this conversation is that the obvious answer as to why there is no mac/pc client, is because right now AirVideo is probably falling way under the radar of organizations like the M P A A [US], etc. A mac/pc client would change that. While Air Video has no "native" D R M circumvention, it could be seen [by the uninformed] as creating more demand for D R M circumvention products.

I would much rather this remain a small scale solution targeted towards mobile devices, that slowly builds momentum until it would be much harder to "shut down" if it comes to that.

Look no further than the example of the Hulu folks believing that boxee is inherently different than any other browser software, just because it works with a remote control and has TV out.

Based on what I've seen so far, these guys know what they are doing, so I say trust them to do what's best for the product.
thcnunz



Joined: 04/16/2010 16:26:26
Messages: 2
Offline

Yes Please. Windows client would be great also. +1
HotStuff2


[Avatar]

Joined: 04/27/2010 21:48:35
Messages: 133
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Offline

Well, Air Video will actually feed out the video file as a proper web server does, if you know the port it's running on, and the name of the video. All you have to do is type the address in your browser, followed by the port, then the share name, then the file name, i.e.:

http://<internet_address>:45631/<share_name>/<video_name>

(45631 is the default port number; if you've changed it, obviously that would be different in the address.)

Thus it seems to me that an HTML5 web-based app shouldn't be terribly difficult to do; as said, though, the conversion process, if needed, might be a little tricky.

Hans Felsh
(ISC)² SSCP & CISSP®-ISSEP® certified
CWNP Alliance CWSP® certified
CompTIA A+®, Network+®, Server+™, and Security+™
Microsoft MCSA Security, MCSE Security
(These are just some of the many certs I've collected over the years.)


‟One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” ̶ Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), American author, ‟A Message to Garcia”
JazJon



Joined: 02/17/2010 22:18:25
Messages: 10
Offline

HotStuff2 wrote:Well, Air Video will actually feed out the video file as a proper web server does, if you know the port it's running on, and the name of the video. All you have to do is type the address in your browser, followed by the port, then the share name, then the file name, i.e.:

http://<internet_address>:45631/<share_name>/<video_name>

(45631 is the default port number; if you've changed it, obviously that would be different in the address.)

Thus it seems to me that an HTML5 web-based app shouldn't be terribly difficult to do; as said, though, the conversion process, if needed, might be a little tricky.


It looks like you're onto something there. I think an HTML5 web-based app would be universally perfect! +1 (Windows, but prefer the Universal option presented above)
giangui



Joined: 05/16/2010 16:23:11
Messages: 9
Location: The Netherlands
Offline

I would love also to have a client for both Mac OS and Windows.
GG
pendolino



Joined: 05/24/2010 14:03:10
Messages: 2
Offline

add my vote to this request. i want to stream from mac to mac and more and it seems that its not too much of stretch considering the product's existing capabilities.

can any of the developers chime in on this
JakeG895



Joined: 05/17/2010 00:14:18
Messages: 30
Offline

PEOPLE...! you have to consider were this app came from.... THE APP STORE! guess what the app-store is specialized for, IPHONES & IPADS... airvideo is specialized for streaming to IPHONES & IPADS!.... think about it....



they should make a different program to do this, away from airvideo because i like it the way it is!
jphastings



Joined: 05/24/2010 23:34:15
Messages: 1
Offline

Does anyone have cross platform GUI knowledge? Preferably in Ruby? With that I reckon we could build one ourselves.
baker_tony



Joined: 05/27/2010 18:07:06
Messages: 1
Offline

ha, I checked out the forum just to see if there was a client for Windows, please make one!
Really blown away by how the iPhone app just works! very, very cool.
diebagger



Joined: 05/28/2010 23:10:56
Messages: 3
Offline

A desktop application would be great indeed, seems like a waste to only use the server for iphone...
ToeCutter



Joined: 05/29/2010 03:37:07
Messages: 4
Offline

Help me out here: Why would anyone even need a client for a Windows/Mac desktop?

I stream 1080p via SMB all the time?

This simply isn't required, and would represent a monumental waste of resources, IMHO.

santiagodraco



Joined: 04/03/2010 02:41:55
Messages: 20
Offline

ToeCutter wrote:Help me out here: Why would anyone even need a client for a Windows/Mac desktop?

I stream 1080p via SMB all the time?

This simply isn't required, and would represent a monumental waste of resources, IMHO.



For a lot of reasons.

1. You are on the road and want to access your movies from home. Try running your 1080p movies over a hotel or mobile broadband connection.
2. You are running a lower powered Windows based PC that can't natively handle your 1080p movie playback.
3. Your network can't handle the streaming of that 35gb ripped blu-ray.
4. You want to build a super low cost extender for movie playback in other rooms.
5. The list goes on...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but imo, your opinion is wrong.
 
Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team