[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Air Video Server 2.4.6-beta3 released  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
Admin

Hi,

if you can play the video using "Play" (they are MP4) the passthrough doesn't give you any advantage. Passthrough makes sense to use when the video is in format that is not natively supported by iPhone (MKV).
ManWithAPlan

Admin wrote:Hi,

if you can play the video using "Play" (they are MP4) the passthrough doesn't give you any advantage. Passthrough makes sense to use when the video is in format that is not natively supported by iPhone (MKV).

Ahh, okay!!! Well, for me anyway, that means I'll just stick with "Play" because literally all of my movies are .m4v files (mp4 with different extension), that came from the .mkv rips of BluRay's I own. As long as I'm still able to get my 5.1 surround mixes to come through, which they seem to just fine, that's all I really need (in addition to excellent video quality of course!). I prefer keeping things in the .m4v Handbrake output format, so that I can just use 1 version of every movie for all my different local/remote streaming tools/venues (web,AirVideo,Subsonic, etc.).

Thanks for the reply!
Aurora13

Admin wrote:
Aurora13 wrote:
Admin wrote:You need to use Play with live conversion even with passthrough enabled. I admit it is a bit confusing. This will be reworked in Air Video 3.

Oké but that still doesn't explain why it doen't use passthrough when I play H264 files.

It really doesn't. Can you try to remove Air Video completely from your device and reinstall it from App Store?

Yes I did that and after that I saw what the problem was:
I always entered my internetname instead of my hostname.

Thanks for all sugestions to figure this out.
jpoll

Just wanted to leave some feedback regarding the new 2.4.6 beta 3.

I installed this on my Mac Mini server, and installed the latest client on my iPad 3. I'm connecting via a home WiFi network using an old Airport Extreme (the "pyramid"). This setup has functioned fine for me in the past. Unfortunately, I ran into some problems with the new software:

The client would find the server, and allow me to navigate through the folders containing my .M4V files (which are about 95% created with Handbrake), but it was unable to generate preview thumbnails for the files (I would just get a continuous spinning gear icon). If I attempted to play a video, I would get an "Unexpected Error" alert. No matter if I tapped "Submit error report" or "Cancel", another "Unexpected error" box would appear, followed by the client crashing. At this point I would be stuck, as any attempt to re-launch the client on my iPad would immediately generate the "Unexpected Error" alert, followed by a crash.

I deleted the client, and re-installed it from the App Store, but the problem persisted.

I then deleted the beta 3 off my Mac Mini and re-installed my older version (2.4.3), and now the client works again. The only odd thing is that I cannot select alternate audio tracks on the client. I can tap on "Stream 2" or "Stream 3", and the checkbox will jump to the appropriate stream, but I only hear the main (Stream 1) when playing back.

iSunrise

@Admin:
Great improvements, thanks for keeping the app up to date!

I have several flv files on my PC where the video picture is stuttering a lot, when I play them back with air video on my iPad 3.
Media players on the PC play them perfectly fine and smooth (like MPC-HC or PotPlayer).
Mediainfo output:

C:\Multimedia\Videos\Star Trek The Next Generation Blu-rays Launch in 2012.flv
General
Complete name : C:\Multimedia\Videos\Star Trek The Next Generation Blu-rays Launch in 2012.flv
Format : Flash Video
File size : 82.5 MiB
Duration : 2mn 26s
Overall bit rate : 4 736 Kbps
liveXML : <?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>
Video
Format : VP6
Codec ID : 4
Bit rate : 5 002 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.181
Stream size : 87.2 MiB
Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Mode extension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 2
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.67 MiB (2%)

There seems to be a problem with the detection of the framerate or rather it happens with flv files that are detected as 29.970 fps. It kinda looks like air video detects a different frame rate and doesn´t sync it correctly to the iPad´s refresh rate, which makes the picture stutter. I have tested with 2.4.5 beta7, 2.4.6 beta1 and 2.4.6 beta3 and the result is the same.

I have not had a problem with other files, yet. This seems to be only happening with flv files.

Is it possible to improve this?

Thanks!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/22/2012 19:17:43

OliJon

Long time user, long time fan!

Do you have any plans to implement a user-based access system in the Remote part? The all-or-nothing approach is very inconvenient.
sjk

Admin wrote:Passthrough makes sense to use when the video is in format that is not natively supported by iPhone (MKV).

In my brief testing, after finally discovering/enabling the Global Settings option, it's been active when the natively iOS-supported H.264 codec is in an unsupported container format (e.g. MKV). Is audio passthrough always active, i.e. only incompatible audio is converted, regardless of the Video Passthrough setting?

Is there any difference in AirPlay streaming to Apple TV with Video Passthrough enabled? Any effect on Allowed Bitrates for Live Conversion values? And do Max. Width/Height values matter with AirPlay streaming?

Thanks for this great useful feature. My 2009 mini sure appreciates it. Was it added when migrating from ffmpeg to avconv?

Air Video 2.4.13 (iPad 2, iPhone 3GS [iOS 6.1.3]), Air Video Server 2.4.6-beta3u2 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.4]), 802.11g/n WLAN
Admin

sjk wrote:
Admin wrote:Passthrough makes sense to use when the video is in format that is not natively supported by iPhone (MKV).

In my brief testing, after finally discovering/enabling the Global Settings option, it's been active when the natively iOS-supported H.264 codec is in an unsupported container format (e.g. MKV). Is audio passthrough always active, i.e. only incompatible audio is converted, regardless of the Video Passthrough setting?

Is there any difference in AirPlay streaming to Apple TV with Video Passthrough enabled? Any effect on Allowed Bitrates for Live Conversion values? And do Max. Width/Height values matter with AirPlay streaming?

Thanks for this great useful feature. My 2009 mini sure appreciates it. Was it added when migrating from ffmpeg to avconv?

Hi,

the passthrough is for video only, audio is always transcoded. Allowed Bitrates and resolution do not have any effect when passthrough is on. Passthrough should work with MKV and mpegts containers (other can be added). The change is not directly related to migrating from ffmpeg to avconv. It was sort of backported from our current development branch (Air Video 3), where we'll have much finer control over when passthrough is enabled.
JasonMc

Is there an updated JAR for Linux servers? I didn't see an update posted here: http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/1856.page
Admin

JasonMc wrote:Is there an updated JAR for Linux servers? I didn't see an update posted here: http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/1856.page

Updated.
JasonMc

Admin wrote:
JasonMc wrote:Is there an updated JAR for Linux servers? I didn't see an update posted here: http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/1856.page

Updated.

Thanks!
sknet

will there any support for m4v format which has hardcoded subs as the current one not showing the subs.....
[Yahoo!] [MSN] [ICQ]
ancall

Windows Media Centre .wtv files replay with unacceptably low frame rates with Server 2.4.6-beta3. They play fine with 2.4.5-beta7.

Will test other files eventually and report.
ManWithAPlan

Anybody try running AirVideo server on Mountain Lion Server yet? I'll be migrating my current Snow Leopard Server to ML Server, and curious if AirVideo will still work. Shouldn't be a problem, but one never knows...

Thanks!
Pilok

@ ManWithAPlan -> I'm using Mountain Lion since the release for developers and I never experienced any issue with AirVideo Server... You can upgrade in peace

Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
Go to: