[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Air Video Server 2.4.5-beta3 released  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
Admin

I'm pleased to announce that new Air Video Server version is available.

You can download it for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows.

Changes since last stable release
- Better performance on multi-core machines
- Significantly faster buffering and seeking times (for best performance make sure only one bitrate is selected on client)
- WTV format support (preliminary, might not work with all files)
- Support for AirPlay and high quality 5120kbit/s bitrate (requires client update, currently pending approval)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 03/07/2011 02:19:37

uspino

WTV support works wonderfully. Thank you for that.

One little caveat: the duration time is wrong on most of the WTV files, and probably that's why seeking with the scrubbing bar is not accurate and sometimes crashes the streaming. I guess that happens because WTV support in ffmpeg is a work in progress.

Nonetheless, great job, now you have a whole new market of Windows Media Center users.
Admin

I only tested it with handful of WTV files, how much off is the duration time?
uspino

It varies. For example, I have 01:06:58 video file from NBC (1080i) and it comes up as only 12 minutes and 19 seconds long in Air Video. Half hour episodes never go beyond 13 minutes in Air Video duration, but, strangely enough, some one-hour episodes appear very close to the right duration (they show up like being a couple of minutes shorter in Air Video). The closer to the right duration, the better time seeking works.

Do you need some WTV files to work with?
Admin

If you have some sample wmv files that you can share you can PM me.
tranki

Man it now works with french TV !

Thx for having taken last version of ffmpeg you rocks !
Jrwaite

Looking forward to the airplay support !
Will air video support AC3 Bypass support like iTunes does? Boy I hope so!!
Admin

I'm afraid AC3 passthrough will not be supported, Live HTTP Streaming specification does not let us do that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/25/2011 03:36:44

Jrwaite

That is too bad to say the least!!
How does itunes do this? I am able to use handbrake to say convert a mkv file to a apple tv format and it will allow AC3 pass-through. Sent wireless to apple tv with full AC3 support.
In your opinion will this ever be possible with AirVideo?
Admin

It *might* work with direct streaming (assuming the file is already converted to MP4). Unfortunately with live conversion that's not really an option.
tubster

Hi,

I have just installed the new version of the server and I can say that it works not as good as the non-beta one.

Here is why, i think

- Improved buffering
* This has caused more skipping when you are connected to a network with more or less "extreme" bandwidth jitter (fast change in avail. bandwidth). But I do also thing that because of bandwidth jitter causes a big time fluctuating response time (ping time).

For many abroad locations, such as hotel internet but also congested 3G connections can cause this problem.

May I suggest a more "adaptive" HTTP streaming implementation (so, both client and server updates) that caters for a more dynamic buffering system?

I am currently in Thailand and after updating the server (located in Sweden) to the beta version I do experiences much more "hanging" and "skipping" than before.

Many thanks for releasing the beta somewhat public!

Keep up the good work. I am using Air Video _A LOT_. Thanks!
Admin

How many bitrates do you have selected for remote streaming?
tubster

Admin wrote:How many bitrates do you have selected for remote streaming?

Only one bitrate checked per profile, all settings are defaut.
rewozz

Could you please do something about the menu icon? It's terribly bloated and inelegant.

I have attached my own minimalistic version, but I'm sure someone can do a better job.

Filename rewozz.zip [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  3375 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 02/26/2011 18:22:46

Mike_Hart

Context:
Quad core server / WinXP home
iPhone 3G
Wi-Fi on local network, with plenty of signal
Data held on hard disk local to server (not USB etc)

I have been having a problem for some time with stable releases of Air Video. From time to time the image on the iPhone would simply freeze. Tried lowering the data rate. made sure only one data rate selected, all to no avail.

Looking a the server CPU util, I could see that it did a burst of processing every few seconds. Every time there was a hiatus with the video, I could see from the CPU util that it appeared NOT to have grabbed and processed the next chunk of data, and eventually the client times out. Tried solutions as above, and no fix.

This new beta release grabs data much more often, and the per-grab processing time is shorter. I assume that this is done by raising the 'nearly empty' point on the buffer to a higher water mark.

From what I can see, this works. Indeed, it works very well indeed. Not only does this offer the server more opportunities to grab and process data before the buffer truly empties, but I'm wondering if the routines to do this have been re-written, as (with the limited testing I've done) this process seems a whole lot more reliable.

Nice work.
- Mike

Forum Index » Air Video Announcements
Go to: