[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Some Changes that would sharpen the edges of this product a bit.  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
Phoenixxl

I hope i don't seem too impertinent by suggesting all this , and it is taken as compliment and not as critique.

This is by far the product for the iphone that is wroth every penny it costs and then some.

here goes:

Presets with only either horizontal or vertical resolution fixed , and the other one calculated by aspect ratio of the file .
ie : preset widescreen -> 480 x <calculated on the fly> . where it would be 272 in most cases , but smaller for some movies depending on the mate . Preset underthreetwo <calculated> x 320 ... you know where this is going i hope.

Keep a virtual directory structure of the files in the shared server folders on the phone with the option to add comments per file / directory , so you can easily add comments or any kind of text , links , anything paste-able to files or directories., maybe a + in front of all directory entries that opens a edit field when pressed ..

Add a bookmark feature per directory , so you can just continue watching where you left off if you're watching some series.

Add support for subtitles to work as intended in MKv's , mp4 or other more complex subtitle formats . where font , position fading and moving is supported.
the simplest way to see what i mean with this is to watch any anime using Media player classic and CCCP codec pack installed . Mplayer , vlc and other integrated players have a tendency to mess things up . I have no idea how well those subtitles are implemented on mac tho . win: (http://www.cccp-project.net/ http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ ) Ideal would be to framebuffer from a VFW source instead of from FFmpeg output , but that would just slaughter Mac users or have you guys force to essentialy make 2 products , one for mac and one for windows , doubling production cost. Anyway , please consider this if at all possible , im sure ffmpeg can be tweaked and buffed up to be able to display subs as the makers intended. Maybe stir up the ffmpeg community?

If this feedback gets seen under a positive light , ill do my best and think of more.

Kind regards , and thank you for listening.
Phoenixxl.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/09/2009 23:04:29

Admin

Bookmarking is something that we want to add in future version.

As for subtitle support, I'm afraid it's not very likely that we'll support the positioning/formatting features of ASS subtitles. It's very complex and not very well documented.
Phoenixxl

Of all those the first thing is probably the most important and probably easiest to implement ? have either the vertical or horizontal resolution calculated depending on the aspect ratio of the file.

As it is now , for every file i start watching the first thing i do is configure and manually adjust the slider. Most 16:9 content ends up being 272 high of course , but once in a while there is the odd one out.
More even for 4:3.

Movies are a complete disaster tho , since the height of blu ray editions can be anywhere between 600 and 1080 , and i do mean anywhere.
Admin

The problem is that there is currently good reason for Air Video to calculate resolutions the way it does. What you seem to need is automatic cropping. However the cropping is best to be adjusted for each video individually so that you can decide how much side information are you willing to lose in favor of getting the video aspect ratio closer to iPhone display.
phoenix

The problem is that there is currently good reason for Air Video to calculate resolutions the way it does.

I understand this very well , it is calculated using the aspect ratio of the file as it should , which is perfect.

Cropping really has nothing to do with it. I don't need any borders cropped before re-encode , i just want the encoding resolution to be set right on the fly using a single preset that doesn't have both values for width and height as fixed but only 1.

Now:

What I am trying to suggest:

I think these added pictures make clear what i mean.

Thank you for reading this

Kind Regards

Phoenix
Admin

Okay, let me make an example of how the resolution calculation currently works.

Say that you have file with original resolution 1024x576
Default (High Quality) preset has "ideal resolution" set to 480x320
The resulting resolution will be 568x320. Note that the width is bigger than set in the preset configuration because Air Video tries to match height.

Now let's take file with different aspect ratio - 704x528
Again, default (High Quality) preset has "ideal resolution" set to 480x320
In this case the resulting resolution will be 480x360. Height is bigger than set in preset because Air Video tries to match the width.

How exactly is this different from what you suggest? Except that the dimension which is chosen to be preserved is chosen automatically depending on video aspect ratio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/10/2009 00:40:53

phoenix

i am suggesting 1 value to be set as fixed in the preset creator , i am not saying the automatic choice is in any way "wrong" .

I would like to be able to select my width as fixed , and have my height calculated on the fly when i select a preset.

again , this is only for custom presets to be added manually..

Example :

for preset 1 -> Width 480 , height (calculated)

source : 1920 x 1080 --- becomes ---> 480 x 272
source : 1920 x 800 --- becomes ---> 480 x 200
source : 1920 x 818 --- becomes ---> 480 x 205
source : 1920 x 784 --- becomes ---> 480 x 196
etc etc etc etc (these are actual numbers btw from media i have)

--

Am i being so cryptic in what i am trying to say ?
phoenix

Admin wrote:
As for subtitle support, I'm afraid it's not very likely that we'll support the positioning/formatting features of ASS subtitles. It's very complex and not very well documented.

I understand there would be some work involved in doing this , but the documentation is there . Maybe they'll add full ASS support to ffmpeg using libass soon who knows.

http://www.perlfu.co.uk/projects/asa/ass-specs.doc

Admin

You're not being cryptic. I understand what you want to achieve, I just don't understand how is it better than current implementation.

For example video 1920x800 (which has lot different aspect ratio than iPhone).
With 480x320 Air video preset the resulting resolution would be 640x264
With your preset it would be 480x200

Given how "thin" the video is there isn't much additional data in 640x264 video compared to "standard" 480x320 video so the encoding overhead is not big. However when you zoom such video the quality is significantly better than if the video was encoded with 480x200 resolution.

I'm just trying to explain how current resolution work and what it's benefits are. I understand what you want to achieve but I fail to see why we should ditch the current implementation in favor of it.
phoenix

it would only be an added option to the preset creator. Disable either width or height.

To me it would benefit a bit in bandwidth , i can set the quality a bit higher for same bandwidth.
Also having the video scaled to the resolution of what i am going to be looking at instead of having it scaled by the phone once received gives some measure of improved performance and quality .

1280x720 being scaled to width instead of height works better for me .. 480 x 272 is great , better than cropped 568*320, for me at least. so i want it scaled at the source at 480 x 272 and sent that way .

That can be achieved as it is very easily , by manually changing all my files , and agreed since 90% of the time the result will be 480x272 anyway , i might as well be using it fixed as a standard .. but sometimes , the source is a bit less wide or wider than perfect 16:9 and that's when i would like a preset where only the height or width is fixed. 480x270 ,, 480x 269 , sometimes it happens..

Having a button to disable slider for either height or with would make this happen or even the ability to , when slid complete to the left "gray out" , there are numerous ways to implement this without "ditching" current. it is a tweak at best.

Kind regards

Phoenix

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/10/2009 04:14:31

Admin

Thanks for the explanation. We'll consider it for future client updates.
phoenix

Also a way to type in the numbers would be nice , currently the slider skips from 416 to 432 without being able to set 424 as the width when making a preset or 426 / 427 for that matter ..

This particular bit should probably be set as a bug anyway.

427*320 would be the ideal scaling for 4/3 video before being sent . Too bad it cant be selected.

Kind regards

Phoennix

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/10/2009 01:59:16

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: