[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
No AirPlay video streaming using iOS 4.3  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
jschuur

I just tried the latest Air Video iPad client update that added AirPlay support, but my Apple TV 2 only plays back the audio of the video, and not the video. If I select the airplay icon in the client's video player, there's a speaker icon next to the iPad and Apple TV 2 options, which presumably means it's going to only stream the audio.

AirPlay with the YouTube player on the other hand displays a screen icon next to the Apple TV 2 destination option and will send both video and audio just fine.

I'm a registered iOS developer, and I'm running the 4.3 GM seed on the iPad, as well as the most recent AppleTV firmware beta update to go along with it. However, even in the past, I've noticed that other third party apps like the Al-Jazeera one would only stream audio too, even before I began to run 4.3 firmware pre-releases.

I know that iOS 4.3 adds third party support for AirPlay, so I assumed that running the GM along with the new Air Video release and Apple TV beta firmware should make it all work, but no such luck. Is this not yet fully supported in the recent release?

There is some older discussion here and here from people not getting video to stream too, but it doesn't sound like they were running iOS 4.3.
Admin

Have you tried restarting the Apple TV? Or disabling and enabling Air Play on it. We can't really do anything about the discovery, it is handled by the media player component and it seems to have some quirks still.
jschuur

I just tried power cycling the Apple TV 2 and explicitly disabling and reenabling AirPlay on it, but still no video support.

I thought you might simply rely on the media player's inherent AirPlay support, but also thought your or someone else might be able to chime in on other dependencies (or bugs) that dictate whether iOS's own player attempts to even do video streaming.

Having just done some more testing, I found something even odder: on the iPhone (4.3 GM), I can stream audio & video exactly once via AirPlay and Air Video just fine. If I switch videos, after that I get only the speaker video icon in the AirPlay destination selection list indicating audio only. Only if I exit the app (explicitly, by tap & hold on the fast app switching bar and hitting the red minus) will it work again, but only once just as before until I kill the app fully again. On the iPad it never plays the video over AirPlay.
Admin

Are you running the latest Air Video Server beta version?

http://inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/3039.page
jschuur

Admin wrote:Are you running the latest Air Video Server beta version?

I wasn't during my early round of testing. Just installed it and it works perfectly now. I can stream both audio and video for repeated videos via AirPlay. Thanks for the reminder about the updated server version.

It didn't seem entirely plausible that I would need to update the server too, since I thought the client was doing all the AirPlay specific implementation, but it looks like the server still does something crucial to the process.

I did notice two issues:

When AirPlay is already playing video from one source (like an iPhone) and I try and broadcast another one from a different device (like an iPad), the Apple TV didn't seamlessly take over the new stream. Instead, it just stops playing back the first video and kicks back to the main menu on the Apple TV 2. I tried this using the YouTube client in 4.3 from 2 devices, and that worked, so this might be something in the Air Video client's implementation, and not simply a known AirPlay bug.

Also, trying to stream podcasts that were stored in iTunes and added to the Air Video Server via the iTunes playlist option doesn't work. The Apple TV 2 simply says 'An error occurred loading this content. Try again later.' and the Air Video client doesn't start playing the video either. In fact, this seems to be unrelated to AirPlay. While it'll default to using the previous AirPlay destination for new videos, even after I explicitly told the iOS client to play it bak on the device and not stream it using AirPlay, iTunes playlist served videos would not start or play back on my iPad or iPhone. Re-adding the playlist and restarting both the Air Video beta server and iTunes, as well as explicitly killing the Air Video client didn't make a difference here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/09/2011 01:53:14

am_fek

I am running the latest Apple TV version (4.2 - I ran the update again today to be sure), the latest Air Video app (2.4.5), the latest Air Video beta (2.4.5-beta5) and iOS 4.3. The Air Video app sends audio only to the Apple TV via AirPlay. AirPlay is enabled and works with videos off websites and the YouTube app.

Any suggestions? AirPlay support was one of the main reasons I bought this app.
[Thumb - ipad.jpg]
 Filename ipad.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1937 time(s)

[Thumb - airvideoapp.jpg]
 Filename airvideoapp.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 97 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1902 time(s)

[Thumb - airvideoserver.png]
 Filename airvideoserver.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 110 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1964 time(s)

Admin

If you disable and then re-enable Air Play support on Apple TV does it make any difference?
stahly603

THANK YOU AIR VIDEO TEAM!

I was just about to post about the same problem then downloaded the BETA...Still didn't work and ultimately what did the trick for me was to reboot my iPad. The coolest thing for me is now being able to play AVCHD video streams from my Mac into my HDTV enabled by Air Video. Granted, its not the same quality video as off the camera and it studders a little but by FAR the best resolution I've see to date to the eternal problem of trying to stream raw AVCHD (MTS files for me) to my HDTV.

I still can't believe this works..after having HiDef video for 4 years now without a solution. Thanks again!
am_fek

Admin wrote:If you disable and then re-enable Air Play support on Apple TV does it make any difference?

No. I should add that AirPlay works fine with iTunes movies (through the Videos app), the YouTube app, videos in Safari... I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the iPad app, rebooting the iPad.. Nothing has made a difference. The videos I'm trying to play are ipad compatible .mp4s.

The AirPlay icon appears in the player, and Apple TV shows with a TV icon rather than just a speaker icon.

Oh, and one more thing, when I tested just now, not even the audio would play. When I first tried yesterday, I was still on server 2.4.3 and audio would play but not video. Now that I'm on 2.4.5-beta5, I get nothing.
theweatherguy

I'm using the latest Beta airvideo server software and having similar problems with 4.3 and was not able to stream to Apple TV (with latest firmware installed on Apple TV).

The solution I found was the following- I found that if I can't connect with airplay to Apple TV on AirVideo, I first open up my Youtube app on the iPad and select Airplay and stream a video to Apple TV using YouTube. That works. If I then go to AirVideo and select Airplay to Apple TV, it works, then AirVideo streams fine.

So it seems that AirVideo has a problem 'selecting' the Airplay mode as the first app to do so.

UFOGoldorak

Did everything everyone suggested but nothing worked.

My solution was to reinstall air video on my ipad then restart it. Reinstalling without the restart did not work.
NickUK

With all the updates in place I was initially able to stream a Movie from my Drobo to iPad and then Air Play to Apple TV. It worked very well.

Now only Audio! I wonder why?

Should I be able to stream in this fashion consistently or not? Thanks.
Michael Bender

I ran into a similar problem today while grilling hamburgers and hot dogs. I was listening to music via the iPod app on my iPhone 4 via my Bluetooth headset and I wanted to switch to an AirTunes speaker when I went into the kitchen to wash some dishes. I noticed that none of my network-connected AirTunes devices (AirPort Express and AppleTV 2) were shown in the AirPlay popup list. Rebooting my phone caused all my devices to appear. Later this evening, I wanted to watch some YouTube video and some AirVideo streamed content via my iPhone 4 to my AppleTV, and I noticed that I was only getting audio on the AppleTV with the icon "Unknown Artist..." and no video. I then rebooted my iPhone 4 and now AirVideo and YouTube worked correctly to my AppleTV for both audio and video. I think there is an iOS 4.3 bug that causes the iPhone/iPad to loose track of some or all of the interfaces on network-connected devices such as AirPort Express and AppleTV, and this doesn't seem to be an AirVideo bug. While this doesn't help solve the problem, I hope this does help folks to contact Apple and ask for (demand a fix.

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: