[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
iPad 2 Video Streaming stops / pauses / freezes -- and a temporary fix  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
ah0b0

I've been having the same problems as other people with the iPad 2 and video streaming from my PC.
This is on a wireless local network, my server is some windows vista box with Core 2 Duo, 3 Gb RAM and an external harddrive (1TB WD MyBook if you're really interested).

The problem is -- as with many -- that playing the video with "Live Conversion" starts playing after about 15 seconds of blackness (which i assume is it loading converting and buffering, which is fine by me). The video plays and buffers for anywhere from 40 seconds to a minute or so (depending on the set resolution and quality) and then just stops. Dead Cold. I noticed that the timer in the top right and left hand corners kept on going, but the video was frozen.

For me and some others, this also happened for Netflix as well.

Take this video of some guy smashing bricks over his head. It's only 5 min long and a mere 8mb. Any computer can handle encoding and sending it.
(Though these pictures aren't videos, you'll have to take my word for it.) The video is playing fine, but the light gray bar (the buffer) just stops:

Once it reaches that end buffer point it freezes.
1) Froze image:

2) Timer keeps going while video is frozen:

The old workaround used to be to move the "High Speed Scrubbing" line thingie (technical term) at the top back a few seconds, it would buffer for another 40-ish seconds, then freeze again. Rinse and repeat to finish video. Which was all very frustrating.

It seemed like it would buffer all good and well, but it wouldn't keep buffering. Either a bug in the program that wouldn't tell the server to send more video, or a memory issue with the iPad and it couldn't fit anymore. I believe it's a memory problem from the iPad, as described below, but I'm by no means an expert.

---THE TEMPORARY FIX---

So the temporary fix is to Double Tap the menu button to view the "Recent Programs." Tap and Hold down one of the programs until they start shaking and form little red circles and minus signs.
Like this:

Now hit the Red Minus buttons on them to "Close" the programs until they're all gone. (I think that's what the button does anyway.)
Since I just got my iPad a few days ago and tinkered with all my apps, this list went on forever.
Once that is done I streamed the same video again and it worked flawlessly. I upped the quality to maximum quality and it worked fine.
Then I watched "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" on high quality, across a local wireless network to a laptop PC with a video on an external harddrive, and it was beautiful.

Ferris rocks:

So in closing, what I think the problem is NOT is my network, PC capabliites, video format, etc. I think the problem might be with the iPad not closing some programs or something. I'm not sure as I've only owned a mac product for about 5 days.

Hope this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/09/2011 19:40:57

ah0b0

Please reply if this works for you.

Also, if anybody knows more about macs and/or knows what the problem is specifically, I'd like to learn and also inform Apple about this.
Thanks.

p.S. - sorry the photos are so big. I just now realized that...
kubusiu

I think it's more a general problem than just ipad2. Your trick doesn't work for me with iphone4. Alas...
dwkennedy

ah0b0 wrote:I've been having the same problems as other people with the iPad 2 and video streaming from my PC.

I had the same problem, on both Air Video and Netflix. I killed all processes, still had the problem, but the problem cleared after reboot.

Just a little bug somewhere in IOS, I would guess.

ah0b0

I haven't had anymore problems since the 4.3.2 update.
chris2027

Ah0b0 I just had these symptoms today with my new ipad and air video has been working fine prior to today. After reading this post I tried removing all background apps however it made only a bit of difference. I did a full restart on the iPad and it's back to perfect. I'm also on 4.3.0 I believe when I update this won't happen anymore.

Thanks for the heads up.. I started thinking a problem with my server too
ahecht

Just want to clarify a few things here about how iOS so-called background apps work..

There's no reason closing out *ALL* the background apps should be necessary. Did you try only closing AirVideo before going after all of them?

Closing apps from the app-switcher bar that way (with the little minus sign) does free up some memory, but those apps aren't really running in the background, they're more like frozen in time. The state they were last in has been saved so they can resume where they left off quickly. They're not using CPU, and the memory footprint is tiny.

In other words, the problem you're having is almost certainly being solved when you force quit Air Video, and the rest of your minus sign tapping isn't having any effect.

So you can save yourself a lot of time (both quitting the apps and getting back to where you were when you launch the other apps again) by just quitting Air Video and trying again. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't the case.

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: