[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
iOS 5 Beta compatibility  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
kprosnikov

Hello, I'm a long time user of the paid version of your app. It's really neat and undoubtedly the best of it's kind. Thank you for an amazing opportunity to watch my movies and shows anywhere at home on my iPhone.

Recently I enrolled in testing iOS 5 Beta 1 with Apple Developer Program and updated my iPhone 4 firmware to the latest beta.
Every single app that I use (50+ apps) worked perfectly fine with the beta OS, except for Air Video.
The app itself worked fine, but the Live Conversion that I came to love so much isn't working.
The app states that my firmware is older then 3.0, so it doesn't allow Live Conversion.
If I understand correctly fixing this is no problem at all, probably just adding the latest beta firmware ID to the allowed FW list.
I know developers don't like wasting time making their apps on early betas, but I think such a quick fix would be an awesome and easy thing to do.

Thank you in advance,
Konstantin Prosnikov.
Admin

Hi,

the update has already been submitted for review.
kprosnikov

Admin wrote:Hi,

the update has already been submitted for review.
Thanks again for the quick fix and your reply. Will be refreshing my apps update section like crazy in the next few days.
kprosnikov

Still nothing from Apple?
khyros

Surprisingly enough, the last public version of the Airvideo client does indeed work with ios 5 beta 1, but only in the iPad.
I can click on the Liver conversion button with no problem. It's just when run from an iphone that it should "3.0 or newer required".

Funny huh?

Edit: Ok, it doesn't quite work the button is there, and conversion commences at the server computer, but on the ipad client there's only audio coming through, not any video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/17/2011 10:48:03

adyendrus

I updated to iOS 5 yesterday, got the new Air Video app and I'm having the same issue on my iPhone 4. Instead of a live conversion option I'm greeted with a "Version 3 or newer" button. I can convert and "watch" the converted file, which is really just an audio stream!

Note: I did try Netflix and Hulu+ before Air Video and neither would work. Hulu was sound only until the commercial crashed. Maybe it's an iOS 5 issue?
jmhardy

First off, this is THE best app for streaming my vids to my iPad I have seen, and I've tried them all. That said, I have two iPads...one running IOS5, and one running 4.3.whatever. I'm running the 2.4.5 beta 6 server. On the IOS 5 device, I get all my thumbnails, and I even get the first frame preview, but when I click Play or Play with Live Conversion, I get only audio and a black screen. Everything works fine on the "old" IOS iPad. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix since it seems to be different than what others have described.
adyendrus

Hmm, reading back through my message I can see where the confusion would have come from. I'm only able to view converted files, and I get a black screen with audio. Live Conversion is not really an option. It's really hard to complain considering how good Air Video is, but there is a problem with many video apps in iOS 5. These could very well be reasons to roll back to 4.3, considering that the newest iOS update is really iOS 4.4, just improperly branded as iOS 5. At least it gives hope of an iPhone 5!!
jmhardy

oh, for sure. i'm not complaining at all...just wanted the Admin to know what was happening in case they didnt have access to IOS 5 yet or something like that. But I'm sure it will be fixed soon, and it is THE perfect solution for me, because I use a Windows box with a Ceton tuner in it to record live TV and this is by far the best thing I've found for playing my native .wtv files through my Apple TV without having to convert them first. I can even play TV shows that are actually still recording....this application is just awesome.
adyendrus

That sparked my attention; so you have a TV tuner and you can watch your shows while they are still recording? Does Air Video just see the file and just start converting?! That's very intriguing. I bought the Orb Live app to be able to do that but it has never worked with any tuners I've bought so I gave up hope until I got a Jumi app that worked ok but sound is still a struggle. I found that Jumi does do desktop and RDP well, but Air Video is the best at what it does. My wife loves the shows that I have on file, but no live streams ever worked.
jmhardy

im watching a show that started at 10 pm here (15 mins ago) through air video and onto my big screen through airplay right now. and its an hbo show thats supposed to be "protected". i also use the "convert " option to turn my media center files into mp4s i can play anywhere or suck into itunes for those i want to archive. what i cant get over is the quality of the streaming...these are tv programs recorded in HD so they are huge. and im playing them wirelessly through my ipad and then back to my TV and they look perfect!
adyendrus

That seems less logical than just watching the shows straight up from the original source to the HDTV! In my case I have my main gaming computer hooked up to my 52" so I don't need to double stream.

Regarding quality, an HD (1080p) stream can use anywhere from 1-15 Mbps, where wireless G does 54 and wireless N is doing 135 Mbps you can see why an HD stream would move so seamless in your internal network (another thing that I love about Air Video; its ability to connect locally).

I've been trying to talk myself into an Apple TV. I'm obviously running iOS 5 so the feature of wireless streaming your screen to a TV is captivating, but are there any other features that make an Apple TV worth it?
jmhardy

I my case, it's because I don't want to have a PC sitting in my living room, and even if I did, I hate Windows Media Center and don't want to use that interface. So I use the Windows box for what it's good at...recording up to four shows at one time...but basically that's it. Using Apple TV with Air Video for actually watching the shows....
kprosnikov

No offence, but a bit off-topic, guys.
You got great setup for watching/recording shows, I almost envy.

It would be nice if developers would clarify if the update wasn't approved by Apple, or iOS 5 Beta on iPhone is currently unable to use that functionality (Live Conversion and Air Streaming).
I tried VLC Streamer (Free) for same purposes and there was no picture or sound.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/21/2011 14:30:29

adyendrus

Is say that's on topic! I can watch live streams through Safari, which was only recently enabled that I noticed. For example, some kids who play video games stream their screen and I was actually able to watch the stream, but all other apps just aren't familiar with how iOS 5 handles videos. Maybe they are making a move to a new video format, but once everyone's on the same page I'm sure we will have functionality again. I doubt it's something on Air Video's end.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: