[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Prob with latest beta and playing wtv files that are still recording.  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Sailing

Hello,
I'm having some issues trying to watch a wtv file (out of media centre) that is still being recorded. The file time does not increase unless the file is touched on the server my something. Either a process or by a manual reading of the file by me. Is this behaviour being reported by other users trying to watch a tv program that is currently being recorded using the latest beta. I'm using the paid client. So when watching a file it will play until the time the file had when it started playing eg file says it is 5.30 long so it stops playing after that even though it is actually still recoding and would be 11 mins or longer when it gets to that point.

Dos anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks
Sailing.
Admin

Hi,

the problem is probably that Air Video Server caches the file information. So it reads it once and then assumes the file didn't change. What is bit weird though that change of file size should make Air Video Server invalidate the cached information. Does it help when you rename the file?
Sailing

Hello,
You want me to rename the file? It couldn't be done whilst it is recording. As mentioned if the OS notices that the file is touched and I refresh on the client it updates the time code. So the server and client need to try and use whatever mediacenter uses to know that the file is being recorded.

Can I ask this be added because it really can't be used for watching a live recording.
Thanks
Sailing.
alexprogress

I absolutely love Air Video now it has WTV option and have put a few people onto it.

I have this problem too and it make the world of difference to have it looked at.

Can I suggest to the dev that when you play a WTV file, 60 seconds after the video has started, you re-check the size of video. if the video is still growing then re-check it in another 60 seconds and so on. if the video hasn't grown since the last check, then don't bother checking any more.
Scott R

I had been playing around with the free version on occasion, but I decided to go ahead and pay the $3 for the full version. I would greatly appreciate an update which does what the others here have requested (refreshing the recording time information periodically) so as to make this usable for watching just slightly delayed Live TV.
Scott R

Bumping this. Will this be fixed in the upcoming version?
Admin

Hi,

do you have any sample files that you could provide (unless you've done it before)? If so please contact me at support (at) inmethod.com
Scott R

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure that there's any way that I can provide you with a test file, because the problem is with TV shows that are still in the progress of being recorded. Once a TV show has completed, the files can be opened/played just fine. The problem is that when a show is in-progress, AirVideo doesn't have an accurate gauge of the running time of the show. So, for example, if I am recording (via Windows Media Center) a 30 minute show, I can fire up AirVideo on my iPhone after 5 minutes and start playing the show. However, AirVideo thinks that the total runtime of the show is 5 minutes (which is all there is at that moment in time). After watching the show successfully for 5 minutes, AirVideo will abruptly stop playing the file and I'll get kicked back to the previous screen. However, in the 5 minutes that I had been spending watching the show, Windows Media Center had now recorded an additional 5 minutes of material, so the file length is now actually 10 minutes long (and still going).

So I believe that what you need to do to fix/enhance the experience is to have AirVideo (either on the server side or client side or both) do some periodic polling/refreshing of the source file to see if the runtime has changed since the point in time that the user initially started playing the file with AirVideo and, if it has, to refresh the timeline. Going back to the example I provided, I could start up my still-in-progress-of-being-recorded 30 minute TV show (which has only recorded 5 minutes of material so far) and AirVideo would correctly show a timeline of 5 minutes, but as I started watching it, the end point of the timeline would periodically get refreshed, so that after 5 minutes, it would now show a total runtime length of 10 minutes, and I could keep watching the show uninterrupted until it actually ends (30 minutes total).

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.
Scott R

Admin,

I just reread this thread and the user posting as "alexprogress" provided a more succinct description/suggestion than my much wordier reply. The bottom line is that AirVideo plays WTV files just fine, it just needs to have a little bit of extra intelligence to deal with TV shows that are still in the progress of being recorded, such that it checks/refreshes the runtime. As alexprogress stated, you could code it such that it checks it once and if the runtime didn't change, it wouldn't need to bother re-checking ever again, but if the runtime changed since the last time it checked it would know that it should re-check it again in another 60 seconds (or whatever interval makes sense).
Admin

Sorry, I overlooked the thread subject. I see that the problem is caused by the video still being recorded.
iqbal51

I absolutely love air video now it has wtv option and have put a few people onto it.

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: