[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
iPad can't connect via Bonjour (local) after iOS 5  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Giolon

Ever since updating my iPad 2 to iOS 5, I can no longer reliably connect to my AirVideo server (2.4.5b6) via Bonjour on the local network (iTunes 10.5 installed on Windows 7 x64). AirVideo will spin for about 10 seconds trying to find the server on "Resolving Address", but then it will fail. I have found that it usually works directly after a full iPad reboot, but will stop working if I leave my WiFi network or toggle Airplane mode on and off. I can also make it work by removing the local AirVideo server from the iPad client and re-adding it.

Connecting to the server via PIN continues to work during all of this.

If there is any further information I can provide to help debug the issue, I'd be happy to provide it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/21/2011 19:55:40

Admin

Hi,

what kind of router do you have?
Giolon

I have a D-Link DIR 655, hardware rev. A3, firmware 1.35NA. It hasn't been changed in any way recently before or after the iOS 5 update.
Giolon

I've found that removing the Bonjour server from the list doesn't necessarily allow the AirVideo app to see the server again. The only way to reliably connect to the server seems to be rebooting the iPad. The same problem also affects my iPhone 4 that has been updated to iOS 5. I've also tried completely uninstalling iTunes and the Bonjour service and re-installing them, and re-installing AirVideo server.

I've never had any problems like this before iTunes 10.5 & iOS 5.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/23/2011 00:47:11

Admin

I'm really not sure what's wrong here. I was able to reproduce almost all iOS 5 problems so far apart from this one. It looks like it only happens with certain configurations/network setups.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/23/2011 05:38:27

Draal

Same problem here. Not able to connect as described above so you are not alone . Looking forward to an update to fix this otherwise fine app.
Admin

I'm not sure what we can do about this though. Bonjour API has not changed. Something has changed in iOS network stark that causes problems like this but we have no control over that.
Nonni

I'm having the same problem. It's probably worth noting that my iPad can connect to another computer on my network without issue; that computer has not yet had iTunes updated. These issues with not being able to connect via bonjour only happened after the iTunes update alongside iOS5.
Admin

Have you tried reinstalling the bonjour itself?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999
Nonni

I haven't tried that, will give it a try tonight and let you know.
Giolon

That version of Bonjour looks very old. Apple's support site lists it as version 2.0.2, posted June 03, 2010.

The current version of Bonjour w/ iTunes 10.5 is 3.0.0.10, built August 30, 2011.

What I did do as part of my trouble shooting was uninstall Bonjour and let it be re-installed with iTunes. My next troubleshooting step may be to try to find an iTunes 10.4.X installer, extract the Bonjour installer, and replace the current version with whatever version was bundled inside 10.4.X.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/26/2011 11:09:41

Nonni

I tried reinstalling Bonjour, including using that link. No success here though
ratbat

I think Apple broke something in Bonjour when they upgraded to 10.5.

I am also seeing the same sort of problems listed above, but with some variations. I find I can get Air Video to connect to my PC, but only for a short time immediately after a reboot of the PC. After a short time that Air Video says it cannot resolve the URL.

Rebooting the iPad has no effect on this for me (unlike the person reporting above).

Also, home sharing in the Music function on both my iPad and iPhone have stopped working. Sometimes it will list my PC and my wife’s PC in the shared libraries, sometimes mine is not there. When I connect to one of them it sometimes spends a good long while appearing to download the music list, but I never get the list on the iPad.

After a reading a few posts I tried with the firewall switch on my PC. Now I get a list of tracks, but they will not play.

I concluded that since both Air Video and Home Sharing of music (and videos in iTunes) stopped working at the moment of installing iTunes/iOS 5, the problem was in introduced by Apple in Bonjour (I am using Windows 7 will all patches applied).

I would be interested to know if anyone else has Home Sharing working. I am not sure if many people use it. So it could be broken and go unnoticed. It seems to use the same sub-systems as Air Video and until Apple fix the Home Sharing I doubt Air Video will work for me again, which is a shame.

I should add: I did uninstall and reinstall every Apple bit of software on my PC. It did not help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/31/2011 21:48:35

Admin

You can still user Server PIN (which doesn't require Bonjour)
mitch1

I'm having the same problem as Ratbat. I have spent a lot of time with apple trying to solve this. After ios5 my home shairing drops all the time. It also drops my devices. I think this is all related to bonjour and iOS 5 . This is just another screwup by apple. After a great deal of back and forth, Apple said that an update was forthcoming , but they blame it on anti virus. I don't think Apple has a clue that they messed up Bonjour.

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: