[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
TV Out won't work with iOS Firmware 4.0  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Admin

Unfortunately that's not how it works. Just because an app gets approved it doesn't mean it only uses published API. There are many ways to conceal usage of private API and get application approved.

We'll have an official statement on this issue, but for now, I'm pretty sure there is no legitimate way to get TV out working with iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS with iOS 4 without resorting to private API.

TV Out with iPhone 4 will likely work with Air Video, though it will need additional work.
fakeyfakerson

Admin wrote:Unfortunately that's not how it works. Just because an app gets approved it doesn't mean it only uses published API. There are many ways to conceal usage of private API and get application approved.

We'll have an official statement on this issue, but for now, I'm pretty sure there is no legitimate way to get TV out working with iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS with iOS 4 without resorting to private API.

TV Out with iPhone 4 will likely work with Air Video, though it will need additional work.
hmm that's disheartening, but glad you guys are looking into it. it's an essential feature for my use of the app, all i use it for really, so thank you for giving it the time and work you have. i suppose a general timetable for release is too much to ask for right?
redrabbit

No support for 3GS on iOS 4? That's it for me, I switched to Stream2me. Not your fault, but I'd like to get a refund from Apple (not from you)
zozoka

fakeyfakerson wrote:hmm that's disheartening, but glad you guys are looking into it. it's an essential feature for my use of the app, all i use it for really, so thank you for giving it the time and work you have. i suppose a general timetable for release is too much to ask for right?

Same question from here too
Admin

redrabbit wrote:No support for 3GS on iOS 4? That's it for me, I switched to Stream2me. Not your fault, but I'd like to get a refund from Apple (not from you)

That's not how refunds work in AppStore We are of course charged for them, not Apple itself.
Admin

zozoka wrote:
fakeyfakerson wrote:hmm that's disheartening, but glad you guys are looking into it. it's an essential feature for my use of the app, all i use it for really, so thank you for giving it the time and work you have. i suppose a general timetable for release is too much to ask for right?

Same question from here too

Sorry, can't really give you any ETA. It's being worked on.
Hintry

meanasjed wrote:
Hintry wrote:
fakeyfakerson wrote:And apparently that StreamToMe app found a workaround, hopefully air video can find a way too.

Latest version of StreamToMe (3.0 26 June 2010) has same problem. Audio only, no video.

I was able to get video out to work in the newest version of StreamToMe by launching the app with the cable already attached to the phone and the app in landscape orientation. If you launch the video with the phone held vertically it just outputs audio.

I don't know if anyone else can try this and see if they can confirm this working for them.

Hopefully if StreamToMe found a loophole it could also be added to AirVideo.

Thanks for the tip. I only tried it today. It worked once - then stopped. After that - audio only. I'll reset everything (server, iPod) and try again.

Has anyone got it working with the Apple Dock - rotated to landscape? Would be nice to still be able to use the Apple remote.

Whatever the case, I'm seriously pissed off with Apple.
fakeyfakerson

hey just stopping in to say that tv out on the iphone 4 already works just got my apple composite cables in the mail today, first thing i tried was airvideo free just for kicks, lo and behold it worked flawlessly. promptly bought the paid version, thanks for making such an awesome product
jmboman83

Is anyone else having an issue with playing videos from the videos app with TV out and widescreen tvs? The widescreen setting on my 3g iPod touch now doesn't do anything... even with it set to "Yes" it displays as 4x3 fullscreen on the television. It worked fine before I upgraded.
ThoughtRiot

I mentioned this issue at the local Apple Store, and the 'genius' tried to tell me it was not a fault with iOS4, but a fault with the AirVideo developers who 'forgot to update a particular part of code when releasing their latest app update'

Genius my a$$!
astidis

Thanks everyone for contributing to this post. Today I purchased Air Video and an Apple Component video cable to use my 3GS iPhone as a media pc for my HD TV. After a few hours of troubleshooting, I can confirm that the AirVideo video out does not work on the 3GS but it does work on my wife's iPhone 4. I even replicated it with my neighbor's 3GS and 4 iPhones.

If the Admin could please notify us of when a fix is implemented it will be greatly appreciated.
wiibart

[Avatar]

I also suffer from this problem, I have a little pico projector app (PicoZoo) in the app store which fails with OS4, I also used the webview trick for tv out support.

I am in contact with Apple, but the response is slow on this
vic

Admin wrote:Unfortunately that's not how it works. Just because an app gets approved it doesn't mean it only uses published API. There are many ways to conceal usage of private API and get application approved.

If Apple had chosen to block third party apps from accessing TV Out, it would not need to unearth some hidden, illicit API use. It would need only to become aware that StreamToMe is using a feature which — you suggest — Apple has prohibited. Since TV Out is not hidden or secret, but openly promoted by StreamToMe, it is reasonable to assume that its developer is not doing anything improper.

In the circumstances, it is unseemly for you to imply that its developer is cheating. One thing that is clear is that StreamToMe has succeeded in maintaining TV Out functionality in its competing app.

Pending your official statement or a fix, your app store page should, at least, disclose that TV Out no longer works with Air Video under iOS 4. It is a shame, too, because it is certainly a five star app if it has that functionality.
Admin

vic wrote:

If Apple had chosen to block third party apps from accessing TV Out, it would not need to unearth some hidden, illicit API use. It would need only to become aware that StreamToMe is using a feature which — you suggest — Apple has prohibited. Since TV Out is not hidden or secret, but openly promoted by StreamToMe, it is reasonable to assume that its developer is not doing anything improper.

In the circumstances, it is unseemly for you to imply that its developer is cheating. One thing that is clear is that StreamToMe has succeeded in maintaining TV Out functionality in its competing app.

Pending your official statement or a fix, your app store page should, at least, disclose that TV Out no longer works with Air Video under iOS 4. It is a shame, too, because it is certainly a five star app if it has that functionality.

Using of private API is choice of every developer. TV out is not hidden or secret, however with iOS 4 it's only enabled on iPhone 4 and iPad. (That's official Apple response we got so far).
whitecrow

So.. Is it possible to use TV Out for watching Movies in the iPod application?!

The air video is just reason to buy component cable!

But air video on iOS4 doesn't support TV Out..

I'll sync the iPhone & the Mac after encoding movies, and connet the iPhone to TV.
It'll need very long time

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: