[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Download files to iPhone for later viewing?  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
rgoodwin

Zumocast has this feature. I can't seem to make it work right, but it tries Also, they handle buffering on seek a bit better, not sure how. Maybe they keep a smaller buffer or something.
Admin

The offline conversion is launched by the "Convert" button. If you want to store the converted video in device use iTunes to sync it.
Brasil4ever

Admin wrote:The offline conversion is launched by the "Convert" button. If you want to store the converted video in device use iTunes to sync it.

Instructions?
scs32

Admin wrote:The offline conversion is launched by the "Convert" button. If you want to store the converted video in device use iTunes to sync it.

I didn't know that iTunes allowed you to sync either over the air or over a VPN. That's great news. Can you please point me to instructions?

If the other users are like me, the feature need goes like this:

I travel. I want to have shows available to me. I want to have more shows available to me than will fit on my iPhone before I leave. I would like to a) put some shows on my iPad/iPhone b) leave c) watch them d) delete them e) add more (while still on the road) f) return home.

It's not that hard. There is STILL no simple way to put video onto the iphone/ipad without a computer. What's worse is if you use your home computer to sync but travel with a laptop. In that case you have a laptop and an iphone but still no way....
rgoodwin

Fixed my router, and can confirm that Zumocast will do "live conversion and download" so you can in fact pull down files and it converts them on the fly (while watching others) without having to use iTunes. Pretty neat, saves having to deal with iTunes. Guess you have to leave your iWhatever on the whole time though while it does the job.

(P.S. I'm a loyal and early Air Video customer, just pointing out this feature seems very useful No dealing with convert, copy, sync, etc.)

And no iTunes doesn't do wireless sync (yet).
ErwinB65

Download to an iDevice would be a nice feature, but overall i'm a happy AirVideo user, its much better then for example Zumocast.
Fullaction

I second the wish for a download function. Sometimes, I have to stop watching and would like to continue on the go without the hassle of syncing with iTunes first.
orrd

Obviously "Admin" didn't read any of this thread before replying since they're completely clueless about what this thread is about. The whole point is we all want to be able to download videos to their device over WiFi when they are away from the computer. I agree with all of the people who have pointed out that this would be a simple feature to add that would make Air Video far more useful. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew ahead of time that this feature was missing.

Until Air Video gets a clue and adds this necessary feature you could try Zumocast... but at the moment their website says they're "temporarily disabled". Zumocast is probably the best solution, but until they're back in business, here's an alternative route...

You can download videos to your iOS device using FTP. It does work, but it isn't easy to set up.

- First you need to install an FTP server on your desktop. I think MacOS comes with one (not sure), but for my Windows machine I installed FireZilla.

- If you have a dynamic IP address you'll need to use a service like dyndns.com to assign a static domain name to your machine (and install a DynDNS client to automatically update your IP address when it changes).

- If you're behind a router you'll need to have it forward the necessary ports to your machine from the outside (both the primary FTP port and a range of ports to use for passive FTP ports).

- Make sure your computer's firewall is set up to allow incoming connections on the primary ftp port and passive ports.

- Create a folder for your converted videos and set Air Video to put them there. Share that folder over FTP.

- Ok now your FTP server is set up. Next you need an FTP client on your iOS device. There may be some free ones, but the reviews for them weren't good, so I ended up paying for FTP On the Go.

- Convert the videos you want using Air Video and then use FTP On the Go to download them.

It's a multi step process and it's a bit of a pain, but at least it works.

Update: I emailed them and they say they're working on adding an Air Video feature to let you download converted videos.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/01/2011 22:05:05

JasonF

Just posting to add a +1 vote for this feature. This would be by far the best feature that could possibly be worked on. Air video would then be your all-in-one app for mobile video viewing:

If you are on local wifi, just stream it!
If you are on 3g and don't mind descreased video quality, stream it!
If you know you will want to watch something later in the day and want increased quality, or will be on a plane or something, then convert it and DL it to your device in the background!

That would be just what I and others have been looking for. All too often I have a last minute trip come up and no time to pre-convert and sync my phone (plus that is a huge pain in the butt).

This thread has been going for over a year, is it possible to give us some sort of time frame on when this would be available, and if you are even working on it?

Thanks! Otherwise, great product!
orrd

I emailed them and they said "we plan to add this feature in subsequent updates". I'm not sure when that will be, but at least there's some hope it's coming eventually.
Gauge

I would most certainly welcome a feature like this even if it meant an increase in the price of the app. It's the one remaining missing feature that would simply make this app perfect.

For the moment I'm using a somewhat tiresome workaround, but it does work...

Create a Dropbox account and install the applications on both your server and your iOS device.
Within the main Dropbox storage folder on your server, create a subfolder called "AirVideo Converted" for example.
Add this as a conversion folder target within Air Video configuration.

Now when you remotely convert a video it will dump the video file straight into your Dropbox folder which will then automatically start uploading into their cloud. When it's finished uploading you will then be able to see it on your iOS device and play it. If you mark the file and add it as a favourite, Dropbox will download the entire file and store it on your iOS device for offline playing. Better yet, Dropbox will pause the uploading process whilst it can see that the files are still being modified (growing as the conversion progresses) so your upload bandwidth will only start being used when each conversion has finished and the files muxed together into m4v.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/02/2011 13:42:01

emx620

Hi there,

First off I wanted to say I really enjoy AirVideo, and think its a great product. However, due to buffering issues, I would really like to see the feature requested in this thread added, to download videos for offline viewing. A new app called VideoStream allows you to download converted videos to your phone for easy offline viewing. I would love to continue using AirVideo, but would really like to see this feature implemented. I, like many others, would even be willing to pay extra for this feature. I was curious if there are any plans to add this feature to AirVideo in the not too distant future, or if I should just go ahead with VideoStream? As I said before, I rather use AirVideo as I think it's a much better app.

Thanks!
emx620

emx620 wrote:Hi there,

First off I wanted to say I really enjoy AirVideo, and think its a great product. However, due to buffering issues, I would really like to see the feature requested in this thread added, to download videos for offline viewing. A new app called VideoStream allows you to download converted videos to your phone for easy offline viewing. I would love to continue using AirVideo, but would really like to see this feature implemented. I, like many others, would even be willing to pay extra for this feature. I was curious if there are any plans to add this feature to AirVideo in the not too distant future, or if I should just go ahead with VideoStream? As I said before, I rather use AirVideo as I think it's a much better app.

Thanks!

Just curious if you've had time to read my post yet.
MjW

emx620 wrote:

There are lots of features being asked by users but lately the feedback from the developer has been underwhelming.
Some even think that the developer doesn't even post here and there is someone else responsible for the forum.

AirVideo is great but the competition is gaining serious ground.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/14/2011 12:42:13

emx620

MjW wrote:
emx620 wrote:

There are lots of features being asked by users but lately the feedback from the developer has been underwhelming.
Some even think that the developer doesn't even post here and there is someone else responsible for the forum.

AirVideo is great but the competition is gaining serious ground.

Thanks for the reply. Since I never did hear anything from Admin, I just ended up buying Video Stream for $2.99. It lets me download videos for offline viewing, which is what I was looking for.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: