[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Android Support Please  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
Author Message
HotStuff2


[Avatar]

Joined: 04/27/2010 21:48:35
Messages: 133
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Offline

How many times does this need to be said, before you people will understand? Seriously?!?!?!?

NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Why? Because Android (or any other "smart phone" besides the iPhone) doesn't support the HTTP streaming protocol, which Air Video requires for it to work.

There's nothing for the developers or Admin to do, or to be able to "present" anything, until AND UNLESS Android supports the HTTP streaming protocol. Period.

edit: Oh, and for whomever said that "yes, of course Android supports HTTP streaming, just not the type that Air Video does..." First of all, Air Video is simply using FFmpeg, which is an industry standard. Secondly, no, Android does NOT support HTTP streaming, it supports HTTP progressive streaming, which is Google's way of saying "download the entire video file, then play it back" - which is NOT streaming, and which is why Air Video won't be coming to an Android device near you anytime soon. Not until (or rather, UNLESS) Google's Android OS embraces and SUPPORTS the HTTP streaming standard, instead of trying to call their implementation something it's not.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/23/2010 15:32:41


Hans Felsh
(ISC)² SSCP & CISSP®-ISSEP® certified
CWNP Alliance CWSP® certified
CompTIA A+®, Network+®, Server+™, and Security+™
Microsoft MCSA Security, MCSE Security
(These are just some of the many certs I've collected over the years.)


‟One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” ̶ Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), American author, ‟A Message to Garcia”
taylorharris50



Joined: 07/23/2010 15:13:01
Messages: 3
Offline

+1

My wife uses an Evo and it would be nice to manage all of my content in one place and let the Air Video clients access it from multiple devices and device types. I am stuck with a BlackBerry Curve so I don't expect anything useful on my phone but the iPad works great.
altintx



Joined: 07/08/2010 05:39:12
Messages: 8
Offline

HotStuff2 wrote:How many times does this need to be said, before you people will understand? Seriously?!?!?!?

NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Why? Because Android (or any other "smart phone" besides the iPhone) doesn't support the HTTP streaming protocol, which Air Video requires for it to work.

There's nothing for the developers or Admin to do, or to be able to "present" anything, until AND UNLESS Android supports the HTTP streaming protocol. Period.

edit: Oh, and for whomever said that "yes, of course Android supports HTTP streaming, just not the type that Air Video does..." First of all, Air Video is simply using FFmpeg, which is an industry standard. Secondly, no, Android does NOT support HTTP streaming, it supports HTTP progressive streaming, which is Google's way of saying "download the entire video file, then play it back" - which is NOT streaming, and which is why Air Video won't be coming to an Android device near you anytime soon. Not until (or rather, UNLESS) Google's Android OS embraces and SUPPORTS the HTTP streaming standard, instead of trying to call their implementation something it's not.


Faking it is good enough. And supposing you're right and the formats are entirely incompatible, then we'll still have built a client on established standards and can swap out the server layer for something that is compatible.
taylorharris50



Joined: 07/23/2010 15:13:01
Messages: 3
Offline

Hey HotStuff2 - I guess you are the self appointed expert on this matter?

Searching online pulls some promising articles about other solutions such as:

http://lifehacker.com/5554843/homepipe-streams-music-from-your-pc-to-your-smartphone

Other developers are working on solutions. Maybe Air Video will be one of them.
altintx



Joined: 07/08/2010 05:39:12
Messages: 8
Offline

The libraries up on Google code now communicate bidirectionally with server. Gonna start browsing UI in the next couple of days.
HotStuff2


[Avatar]

Joined: 04/27/2010 21:48:35
Messages: 133
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Offline

altintx wrote:Faking it is good enough. And supposing you're right and the formats are entirely incompatible, then we'll still have built a client on established standards and can swap out the server layer for something that is compatible.
No, "faking it" is NOT "good enough". It's not that "the formats are incompatble" - it's that the Google Android OS simply does not support the HTTP Streaming Protocol - period.

taylorharris50 wrote:Hey HotStuff2 - I guess you are the self appointed expert on this matter?

Searching online pulls some promising articles about other solutions such as:

http://lifehacker.com/5554843/homepipe-streams-music-from-your-pc-to-your-smartphone

Other developers are working on solutions. Maybe Air Video will be one of them.
I never said I was "self-appointed", however I DO happen tp have both knowledge and experience in this area - which, apparently, many of you lack one or the other (or both.) Yes, "other developers" are working on solutions to whatever it is they're doing - Air Video, however, is working on their core user base: the iPhone. If you want to use Air Video, buy an iPhone (or an iPad, or an iPod Touch.)

altintx wrote:The libraries up on Google code now communicate bidirectionally with server. Gonna start browsing UI in the next couple of days.
Yes, but it's still not the HTTP Streaming Protocol - the Google Android version tries to download the entire video file, instead of streaming it from the server, regardless of whether it's communicating bidirectionally with the server or not.

Hans Felsh
(ISC)² SSCP & CISSP®-ISSEP® certified
CWNP Alliance CWSP® certified
CompTIA A+®, Network+®, Server+™, and Security+™
Microsoft MCSA Security, MCSE Security
(These are just some of the many certs I've collected over the years.)


‟One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” ̶ Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), American author, ‟A Message to Garcia”
Tikker



Joined: 03/28/2010 23:37:56
Messages: 84
Offline

if you want android, you can just install tversity and have it transcode to whatever format your android device needs
happyboy



Joined: 08/03/2010 22:02:25
Messages: 1
Offline

I am a new android developer. Some question I want to ask.
Is it mean android only support RTSP video streaming? We cannot work on HTTP video streaming??
Evan



Joined: 08/13/2010 21:25:56
Messages: 1
Offline

HotStuff2: I'm not sure why it bothers you so much for people to make this request. Is your position that there is no way to view videos on an Android device that are stored on a PC?

The requests for an Android solution are directed at Air Video staff, not other users that see all the hurdles to making it happen. I don't doubt your knowledge and experience, but is your attitude really beneficial to anyone? It's certainly constructive to point out the issues so that a solution can be found, but your solution seems to be for the Air Video staff to sit on their hands and wait for something to change on the Android side.

Obviously, Air Video staff have a lot more influence on what happens on the Air Video side than the Android side, so a more productive route would be to work on a solution within the current Android capabilities while trying to invoke change on the Android side to make the job easier.
Shynd



Joined: 02/13/2010 00:09:29
Messages: 1
Offline

I recognize the hurdles inherent in streaming video to an Android-based device--at time of writing, I'm only aware of one app, nswPlayer, that I've seen able to stream video from the web--but, in my opinion, if the AirVideo staff fail to find a solution soon, they'll miss out on a lot of potential sales. With all of the Android-based tablets set to hit the market soon, a decent way of streaming video to these tablets -will- be found, and the first one there will rake in the cash.

Just my two cents. I've never seen anything in the realm of programming be actually impossible, just difficult and sometimes convoluted to implement.
sam1am



Joined: 04/15/2010 21:25:21
Messages: 2
Offline

Android 2.2 (Froyo) has switched from the OpenCore media framework to Stagefright. Stagefright supports HTTP streaming. Get with the times "Hotstuff"2.
conanandre



Joined: 06/04/2010 19:20:51
Messages: 5
Offline

And a new test version of Froyo was just released for my Galaxy-S today.

Come on Air Video staff, i will buy this program asap when it comes out for android.

I already own it and am using it with my ipad, and its sooooo great
Admin



Joined: 08/23/2009 08:49:34
Messages: 8705
Offline

sam1am wrote:Android 2.2 (Froyo) has switched from the OpenCore media framework to Stagefright. Stagefright supports HTTP streaming. Get with the times "Hotstuff"2.

Are you sure it supports "Live HTTP Streaming" protocol? It's not just regular HTTP streaming (which pretty much every player out there supports).
keland44



Joined: 08/31/2010 04:43:31
Messages: 17
Offline

Admin wrote:
sam1am wrote:Android 2.2 (Froyo) has switched from the OpenCore media framework to Stagefright. Stagefright supports HTTP streaming. Get with the times "Hotstuff"2.

Are you sure it supports "Live HTTP Streaming" protocol? It's not just regular HTTP streaming (which pretty much every player out there supports).


I just wanted to chime in here. I was doing some reading up on what Android supports and based on what I read it only supports http progressive streaming with the new addition of Stagefright in version 2.2 of android.

I wanted to add my +1 for and android version I've been very impressed with what this application has to offer and see it as having a great potential on the android side. I wonder how possible it would be to compile the live http streaming on to android so it would be able to use this just as IOS is able too.
keland44



Joined: 08/31/2010 04:43:31
Messages: 17
Offline

I was doing some more reading around and I found this information about flash 10.1
Flash Player 10.1 includes a number of media quality of service improvements and is ready to take advantage of upcoming Adobe media servers that will provide new ways to deliver rich media experiences and create new business models. With new HTTP streaming capabilities, Content Providers can use their standard HTTP infrastructure to stream media. Streaming performance is also enhanced with improved support for live events, buffer control and peer assisted networking.



HTTP streaming enables delivery of video-on-demand and live streaming using standard HTTP servers, or from HTTP servers at CDNs, leveraging standard HTTP infrastructure and SWF-level playback components. The addition of HTTP streaming will enable expanded protocol options to deliver live and recorded media to Flash Player.


http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86018.html

I don't know how helpful that is but maybe the android version can be built around using a flash 10.1 player
 
Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team