[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Problem with endless "Loading..." -- video never plays (local WiFi network)  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
luckman212

edit: update, the problem appears to be solved, see here

Hello, and happy holidays !!
been using AirVideo since before v2.0 -- it has usually worked great for me. But I hadn't used it in awhile, and recently I tried to playback some videos on my 3GS over my local Wifi network, and I am having nothing but problems.

Desktop PC is a Core2 Quad Q9650, 8gb RAM running Windows 7 x64, fully updated/patched, Java 6.0u17 both 32- and 64-bit versions installed. AirVideo *was* latest release version (2.1.7?) and I just tried 2.1.8b8 as well with no change in the issue.

The problem is, I can connect to the AirVideo server, but once I start browsing the shares or try to play video, I just get an endless "Loading" screen like this:

Also, I opened up Resource Monitor and clicked "Analyze Wait Chain" on the AirVideoServer.exe process, and it looks like this, does this look like a problem to you?

or, sometimes, If I can get a video to start, it just says "Buffering..." forever. It never plays, like this :

I have tested my wi-fi speed using Speedtest etc and I am getting 15mbit download, 5mbit upload (from the PHONE itself)... see below:

Also, desktop PC is connected via 1gbit ethernet direct to the router. No problems using Dropbox or Ez-SharePro to exchange files between the desktop PC so I know they can "talk" to each other just fine. At this point I am suspecting a java problem somehow. Not sure what else it could be. Windows Firewall is disabled completely on the PC.

Help?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/05/2010 00:28:49

Admin

It could be bonjour problem. Did you connect to server using Server PIN or did you just chose your computer from list?

If you aren't using server pin to pair iPhone with your computer you can try the following:
* In Air Video Server Remote tab check "Enable Access from Internet" and uncheck "Automatic Port Mapping" (which is not needed to connect over local network).
* In Air Video iPhone client tap "+" to add new server, chose "Enter Server Pin" and enter the pin displayed in server properties Remote tab.
luckman212

I have both PIN method and "standard" internal IP method.
I've already got PIN access enabled in Air Video server, and regardless of whether I connect using direct IP or via PIN, the result is the same.

Any other things I can check or try? thanks
Admin

Just to make sure that I understand the problem. Sometimes content of folder loads fine (even though no video plays), and sometimes the same folder just hangs as "Loading..." ?
luckman212

Yes that is exactly the problem !
luckman212

happy new year!
any progress on finding the root cause of this issue?

As a test, I installed a new copy of Air Video Server inside a Virtual Machine (vmware v7.0) running windows XP. The virtual machine is running as a guest OS inside the same computer I am having the problems with described above. When I connect to the instance of AirVideoServer running inside VMware, it plays videos just fine.

so the issue is somehow related to the java, x64 version, or windows 7 I guess. The hardware & network / iphone side of things seem to be fine. How can we proceed?
Admin

Hi,

I don't have any news I'm afraid. We constantly test Air Video Server on Windows 7 x64 and so far I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Do you use any software that does traffic shaping? (net limiter, etc).
luckman212

no, I don't run any sort of firewall, anti-virus, or network metering/traffic shaping software of any kind.
I think it is a very large clue that the program works well from inside the VM, even though the underlying hardware & network infrastructure is the same. This would indicate that it could be a problem with the java version (is the actual streaming code written in java?)

isn't there some sort of log (either on the phone or from the PC-side) that we could dig into in order to figure out where the hangup is occurring?
Admin

Unfortunately there isn't any log that could be used to trace dropped connections. The streaming code is written in Java, but I searched through forums and haven't found any relevant known issues with it. The networking in Java is a relatively thin wrapper around windows sockets.

If you navigate to http://localhost:45631 , do you get any response? If so, is it immediate?
luckman212

yes, I get an instant "Air Video" text response.
you mention you test on win7 x64. which JVM/JRE version did you test with?
perhaps I'm running a different one.
Would it help if I ran a Wireshark packet trace from the host PC during an air video session and mailed it to you?
Admin

We test it with same JVM version that you have installed (6.0u17), 32bit (Air Video Server is a 32 bit binary so it loads 32bit JVM).
The Wireshark trace *might* help.
Admin

One more thing, do you have any iTunes playlists shared?
luckman212

hmm. that is so odd.
Ok I will try to capture a clean trace and post it somewhere.
I'll grab a trace from inside the VM as well, so you might be able to spot the differences.
luckman212

Admin wrote:One more thing, do you have any iTunes playlists shared?

no, I don't have any itunes playlists shared.
Admin

There is one thing that could help me determining what Air Video Server does when it stops responding.
It is possible to take a stack dump of a running Java application. However in order to do that, you would have to have a JDK (java development kit) installed.

If you want to give it a try:
1. Get Latest JDK: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp (chose Windows, not 64bit).
2. Install it
3. In JDK's bin directory (probably would be C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_17\bin in your case) there are two interesting commands

jps and jstack

you need to run them from command line (cmd)

jps will give you list of active java processes. One of them will be Air Video Server (*not* the one with with Jps written after number).

jstack will do a stack dump of the process. e.g.

jstack 4853 > C:\stack.txt

Should create thread dump in C:\stack.txt

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: