[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Why hasn't the app gotten even a minor update in almost 6 months?  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
Izzyzy

I see admins replying over and over again to various requests with "We're looking into it." and "Great suggestion, we'll see!" and so on.
And yet, the app hasn't had even a minor update in more than 6 months.

Even minor features like playback in portrait mode while docked, that dozens upon dozens of users have been asking for - and for a long time - and that should take only minor changes to the app itself have gotten nothing more in response than "We're looking into it."

Obviously if it's taking you this long to code in *screen orientation* to an *iPad app* you're either:

[A] Incompetent to a ridiculous degree and actually incapable of improving the app in any way.
or
[B] You already have our money and simply no longer care about your current or future customers.

Which one is less embarrassing to you to admit?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/23/2012 03:28:51

Admin

We're working full time on Air Video. We are focusing on a major update/rewrite (on both client and server part) but it's not ready yet.
RodgerWW

[Avatar]

Izzy, relax ... With everything that is coming out from Apple (soon) and the competition abounding in this particular area of software development, the Air Video folks have a lot on their hands. To DATE, it's still an incredibly reliable bit of code and I actually have tried all of them, and even Apple's home sharing. Nothing compares, so far, to Air Video.

TRY to keep this in mind ... video streaming and serving is NOT as easy as making an app that makes fart sounds. If it was, I personally would have already come out with the killer app for serving media to devices. ALAS, I am reliant on those who know a BIT more about coding such things and can't complain.
Izzyzy

Still waiting on portrait Orientation playback, 9 months later.

The native Youtube and Videos apps have had this since Day 1, what the hell, guys?

And whatever happened to this "major update/rewrite" that you just kept referring people to, over and over?

The last update was 5 months ago, and it sure as hell wasn't a "major update." It fixed one major bug, and added support for iPhone 5. That's literally the bare minimum you could have updated. Making it so the app doesn't crash when a video finishes, and making sure it works on the latest hardware revision. That's barely even an update. That's barely doing your jobs.

All I want is for the application to recognize the devices orientation and allow portrait playback. If you guys are really "working full time" and "focusing on a major update/rewrite" this should be a simple fix for you - the kind of thing you'd be *glad* to have to work on momentarily to take your mind off the "major" update work.

So what the hell, guys? Yeah it's not as easy as "making an app that makes fart sounds" but this a feature that been in the native video playback programs since DAY 1. And we're talking about a device that's almost 3 years old now. This shouldn't even be something you should have to develop and test yourself - it should be readily available in the provided video APIs.

So seriously, why are you lying to your customer's faces like this?

If I had known the app didn't support portrait playback I wouldn't have bought it in the first place, and if I had known you were just going to pass the buck for almost a year and hope the issue would just go away, I would have done a charge back and filed a complaint.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/30/2013 00:53:18

Admin

Portrait playback for current Air Video client is not a small fix. Current Air Video application was not designed to play video in portrait mode and implementing that would mean rewrite of player user interface. We have only had handful of requests so far for portrait playback on iPhone so it didn't seem feasible to spend time rewriting the current player interface.

The next version will have portrait playback support. The client is finished, we're working now to make the server shippable so that we can start with public beta testing.

Please watch your tone. We're not lying about anything.
Admin

Btw. The "Native" video player - for video synced through iTuned does not play videos in portrait mode.
bokvast

Hi! Thank you for your awesome app! Is there any eta on the new version? If the client is fixed maybe the server isnt that far away? Just an estimate would be awesome! 1week 1month.... 1 year????
Admin

Probably won't happen in one week, hopefully sooner than one year One month for first beta doesn't sound too unreasonable.
Syth

[Avatar]

Admin wrote:Portrait playback for current Air Video client is not a small fix. Current Air Video application was not designed to play video in portrait mode and implementing that would mean rewrite of player user interface. We have only had handful of requests so far for portrait playback on iPhone so it didn't seem feasible to spend time rewriting the current player interface.

The next version will have portrait playback support. The client is finished, we're working now to make the server shippable so that we can start with public beta testing.

Please watch your tone. We're not lying about anything.

Here is a request that you do not add this.It is horribly annoying and I hate it every time that YouTube decides to rotate my video. Seriously, this is a horrible idea. If, for some reason, you lose your minds and add this anyway, please allow a pref to disable it (and no, I don't want to have to lock the rotation on my entire device).
Admin

We will support portrait mode, but will be an orientation lock option inside the player. If that turns out still inconvenient I'm not opposed to adding a switch to settings to disable portrait mode completely. Fixing player to lanscape in current Air Video was a conscious decision, but there were some people requesting landscape mode.
masari.jones

[Avatar]

First off, I love this App... I even convinced several family members to purchase the App so they can watch movies from my server. However, as much as I love this App there is one lacking feature that frustrates me almost every time I use the App.

Are there any plans to add indexing or search in the App? I asked about this over two years ago, and t's extremely frustrating that the App still is incapable of even jumping to titles that start with a letter. The larger my video library gets the more annoying the lack of any title search or indexing becomes.

I have to believe that this is something many others want too.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/09/2013 23:46:11

Admin

Next version will have in folder search.
mitch1

You all may want to check out an app called Plex. It has many features that Air Video is unable or unwilling to add.
Check it out. It's called Plex
Izzyzy

So it's been more than a year since I started this topic, which I originally started because it'd been a year since I *first* asked.

So we're at something like two years and three months, now.

Are we ever going to get portrait mode playback, or not? Because needing to prop my iPad up on its side with books and things rather than just letting it sit in its specifically designed charging cradle is almost as ridiculous as being told "we're working on it" for more than two years.
Admin

Beta testing has been going on for a while now. The final version should be submitted for review tomorrow or on Friday.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/22/2013 02:43:10

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: