[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Has AirVideo development effectively stopped?  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
tadhgk

It seems like a long time since there were any substantial updates to Air Video, with features like batch conversion just never appearing.

So, aside from maintenance to update to iOS6 etc, is AirVideo basically done?
Admin

There is full time development going on. Many things are being rewritten from scratch so it takes time and we can't really release the features as incremental updates.
tadhgk

What prompted the rewrite?

Y'know most of the time rewrites don't make code any better, just different, and in the process stop the delivery of new features.
Admin

There have been multiple reasons for this, including limitations of the existing conversion pipeline and deployment issues. What you have mention does apply in many cases, but it's not universal.
kayoss

I love AirVideo... it's the best thing in the world at what it does. But please... we need a 1080P version for the new Apple TV. Please!
plympton

Good to hear development is still ongoing! It's one of my most frequently used 3rd party apps (hard to believe, in a way)!
Izzyzy

Admin wrote:There have been multiple reasons for this, including limitations of the existing conversion pipeline and deployment issues. What you have mention does apply in many cases, but it's not universal.

You not really...*saying* anything. I've seen you guys say you're working on some huge rewrite update for something like 10 months now while people ask for other small, considerably more worthwhile usability features like 1080p playback and portrait orientation playback, but the only answer you ever give is all this "limitations of the conversion pipeline" and "deployment issues" and other corporate doublespeak nonsense.

I think the fact is they're making money whether they keep improving or not at this point, so why actually keep trying? But they can't *admit* that, or we might move onto an app with a team that's actually still giving a damn.
Admin

Corporate doublespeak? I try not to comment on ongoing development for a reason, but here are some things: Deployment issues - Current Air Video Server depends on Java, this causes problems for many users (JRE installation gets often broken on Windows during auto updates, Java is pretty much deprecated on OSX). This is a very big change and requires lot of work. Conversion Pipeline issues - we want to have high quality HD playback with video passthrough while supporting subtitles at the same time and possibly AC3 passthrough on Apple TV, these are things that the old conversion pipeline is not capable of doing and we need something much for flexible to accomplish this. These are just some of the things we're trying to address. The development is in progress, hopefully we'll soon move the new project from alpha/prototype stage to beta.
Also next minor update will bring H264 passthrough so you will get 1080p for devices that support it (just not with subtitles).
Ramaroodle

Hello. Glad to see there is a forum.

Admin, I need some help. my wife and I use AV on our iPads to watch movies at home via wifi. Until recently it was a beautiful thing. Now, as I see others have said, it just starts and stops endlessly. Driving me crazy. I have a duo core with 16 gigs of memory. Never an issue before. I do, notice that it runs just fine when I transfer the movies to my laptop, so it is not my network as I originally thought. So, help me track this down. What could be causing this? java, windows updates? What? I've got a nice collection of flicks that we would like to watch, but my wife just doesn't have the tech savvy to transfer movies from one server to another when I'm not around. Again, it used to work just fine.

edit - windows update issue fixed the problem

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/21/2012 23:28:58

Panama

Air Video is a great value and has served me extremely well to the point I take it for granted.

I appreciate the effort put into it and I continue to recommend it to my friends.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: