[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
High CPU for FFMpeg in Windows  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
rashid29

Air Video Server is constantly 90% spike CPU throughout conversion process.

This was the issue which led me delete the Iphone app an year ago, Its been an year and how can you not fix your process.

This is serious bug, If you are listening guys please fix this.
Tikker

transcoding is very cpu intensive

not a bug, this is how it works

I would suggest a better pc
rashid29

I don't know who you are and what you understand about performance.

Buying new PC, Are you kidding me:
I have i5 with 4 core processors, 2.57 Ghz

CPU intensive, I don't understand.

I did performance tune-ups for web applications which had local services installed also 2 years ago and we used IBM's selection sorting to improve our internal app performance.

There are tons of open source codes available in the market to optimize your process based app running and controlling Mutexes.
Tikker

oh hey, nice to mention cpu specs in original post maybe
Admin

Offline conversion will take as much CPU as possible to convert the video as quickly as it can. Live conversion throttles down the CPU usage (as there is no point to transcode video too far in advance).
thehaze

I'm getting this issue as well. But I'm using online conversion however the server says it's not transcoding anything.

This used to be a very reliable app for me. Now it works well for a while and then it stutters. When that happens my CPU utilization goes through the roof. Any way to fix this issue?

reedl

rashid29 wrote:I don't know who you are and what you understand about performance.

Buying new PC, Are you kidding me:
I have i5 with 4 core processors, 2.57 Ghz

CPU intensive, I don't understand.

I did performance tune-ups for web applications which had local services installed also 2 years ago and we used IBM's selection sorting to improve our internal app performance.

There are tons of open source codes available in the market to optimize your process based app running and controlling Mutexes.

Transcoding video from one format to another takes a lot of CPU horsepower. I have an i5 also, and when watching live transcoded video, the CPU spikes to 90% for a period of time, then throttles up and down. This is totally normal for video transcoding.

Video encoding/transcoding takes a lot of number crunching. This is nothing that airvideo nor any other company can possibly do which makes video transcode faster than what the supplied tools can do.

As a test, try transcoding an mpeg-2 video with handbrake to mpeg-4. This will consume a lot of processor CPU usage also.

I am a software engineer by trade, and have been writing commercial software products for over 30 years. I started writing code before the IBM PC even came out, working on machines that had 64 kilobytes of memory and 8 megabytes of hard disk storage.

Your spewing of IBM selection sort shows that you really do not know what you are talking about in terms of video encoding. What IBM selection sorting does is speed up what previously was done with a bubble sort algorithm. The tool that airvideo uses to transcode video is ffmpeg which is already open source, and quite optimized for its purpose of transcoding video. I have looked at some of the source for ffmpeg, and it is quite well written, and does not have the typical "beginner programming mistakes" common to terrible programs.

You remind me of a IT director who knows enough to spew a few buzzwords, but knows nothing about writing code.
Qoobazz

A long time, airvideo worked like a charm for me, but since about 2 weeks i get this stuttering as well. It already starts during the iconization of the movies.

Once i start the airvideo app, my server spikes to 100% CPU with 2 ffmpeg processes. A reboot, cleanup didn't help. I guess antivirus/microsoft updates have something to with this because nothing else has changed on the server for months.

I can't play movies anymore.

@reedl please stop bragging and reply only if you have some constructive feedback.
reedl

Qoobazz wrote:A long time, airvideo worked like a charm for me, but since about 2 weeks i get this stuttering as well. It already starts during the iconization of the movies.

Once i start the airvideo app, my server spikes to 100% CPU with 2 ffmpeg processes. A reboot, cleanup didn't help. I guess antivirus/microsoft updates have something to with this because nothing else has changed on the server for months.

I can't play movies anymore.

@reedl please stop bragging and reply only if you have some constructive feedback.

I am not bragging, I am merely pointing out facts. Video transcoding is very processor intensive, and optimizing loops using a replacement for bubble sorting is not a solution to make it faster.

As to the problems you are having, have you tried an older version of the server? I have had problems personally with the 2.46 beta, and anything after 2.45 beta5 Video that is encoded from film with 3:2 pulldown does not play correctly at all. I am currently using 2.45 beta5 which works correctly for that video. You need to uninstall and then install 2.45 beta 5. If you install over the old version it keeps the later ffmpeg which you do not want to do. The other option is to delete all the files in C:\program files\airvideo and then install 2.45 beta5

The fact that you have two ffmpeg processes maybe tells me that you are attempting offline encoding while also streaming at the same time. Check your queue and make sure that you are not offline encoding also.

Also how is your connection speed between your idevice and the server running airvideo.
Malte

I assume that you are using the latest beta? Revert to the previous version. I had alot of stutter and audio desync with the latest.. Never ever had any problems like that in Airvideo. 2.4.5 beta 7 is fine, use that.

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: