[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Synology NAS support ?  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
pegounet

Hello everyone!
i'm quite surprised that air video does work on apple or Windows PC, but seems unsupported on NAS hosting linux OS like Synology NAS, 24/7 open to the web...
that would be great !
Admin

The NAS has CPU not near powerful enough to do live transcoding.
colmaclean

What's the minimum processor requirement?

My QNAP TS-509 has a 1.6GHz Intel Celeron processor.

I rarely get above 10% usage, so have plenty of leftover power for transcoding...
Admin

Depends on source movie resolution, but my guess for decent preformance would be about 2GHz Core 2 Duo CPU.
pegounet

NAS CPU is perhaps not sufficient for live streaming with encoding, but what about "normal" streaming ?
Raptor

Hello everyone....I have had Air Video Server running on Dual Core Lenovo X300 for quite sometimes. I have successfully installed and enjoy AVS on my IPad and IPhone. I am very new to NAS' having purchased a Synology Diskstation 1511+. I am slowly migrating files and have mounted a somewhat large HD that is USB connected to the 1511+. I now have access to those files and the 1511+ has a Dual Core 1.8 in it. Frankly it's faster then my X300!!

I don't do a lot of live streaming but I would LOVE to be able to somehow run the AVS from the Diskstation instead of having to have my X300 running when wanting to access my AV files.

I'm a little puzzled at your minimum processing power requirements because my X300 is only 1.2 GHz and I rarely have issues with live conversion. Either way, I believe a good number of people are moving into the NAS arena for it's centralized storing and sharing benefits. The desire, and demand, for an easy to setup and run Synology Server program that installs onto my NAS and frees up whatever resources I had to use to run AVS is merely months away.

BTW, LOVE AVS and keep up the great work!!!!
agolly

I am also quite interested in NAS support.

You can build applications for Synology and I think a partial app would still appeal to users.

If you remove the transcoding (both live and remote) but still serve up the files to the Airvideo app I think a lot of users would be interested.

Alternatively you could perhaps document the API for the list etc and we could build our own NAS apps.

Just a thought
Keep up the great work
Admin

Direct streaming would be doable although it would limit the application significantly. I'll think about it.
suburb.survivor

This GitHub project is a framework to easily build Synology-formatted packages (SPK files) from source code in a reproducible manner:

https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc

It has been used to great effect to allow python, sabnzbd+, sick beard, couch potato, transmission and headphones to be easily installed on Synology boxes by novice users. Would be thrilled if Air Video server could be packaged this way.

The Synology DS1511+ has an Intel Atom dual core 1.8GHz CPU - should be able to do some transcoding
Jmb186

I have played around with the free Air Video application, and I am very interested in a synology->iOS device video streaming solution. I also have an intel atom powered syno NAS and would definitely pay for something like this.
ccsdt

Admin wrote:Direct streaming would be doable although it would limit the application significantly. I'll think about it.

There is now a version of Plex running natively on Intel based Synology boxes. Transcoding is limited to DVD quality. Plex requires a 2.2GHz chip or better for 720p and beyond.

It seems some limited transcoding / live conversion would be possible for AirVideo.
Jmb186

Admin wrote:Direct streaming would be doable although it would limit the application significantly. I'll think about it.

I have installed Plex Media Server on my Synology DS411+ (dual core Intel Atom D510 @ 1.67GHz). I have confirmed that this server application can successfully transcode and stream 720P videos to an iPhone client at a bitrate of 2Mbit/s. It appears Plex is able to accomplish this by spawning multiple (approx 10) ffmpeg processes to transcode a video in segments concurrently. This does take a large amount of CPU but not enough to slow down server functionality at all. In fact, it can transcode & stream 1080P content (although there are significant pauses for buffering ,but I don't expect the impossible with this CPU).

However, the iPhone app for Plex is horrible over remote 3G. I have confirmed that lack of bandwidth is not the problem but in fact the issue is in their method of auto detecting connection quality and bitrate. On the other hand, Air Video iOS app allows manual setting of 3G bitrate, and the quality I've seen is great. So basically I am very interested in an Air Video server implementation for Intel based Synology products, and I urge you to consider the opportunity of providing the only usable solution for Intel based NASes.
tmarques

I also own a Synology 1511+ and would definitely pay for a Syno version of Air Video Server: my MBA isn't always on (as is my NAS) so transcoding isn't always possible. Have you changed your mind on yet on developing such a version?

Cheers!
kiyosi

I have a DS1512+ NAS by Synology with Dual Core 2.13ghz processor...I'm also expressing interest in support of this platform...

By what I'm reading, this device is starting to take off in a major way...plex is too cumbersome and limited in my opionion as well...

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: