[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
New version wont work with folders with many files  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Admin

Hi,

what exactly are the two bitrates in question? (one that doesn't work and one that work)
DavePDX

Heh, I just revised my previous post to include that info. 1280kbit/s seems to be the highest useable setting for me.
Admin

That's on local network, right? It's way too low. Is there anything else going on on the nework? (i.e. network backup, etc).
DavePDX

Yes, local network. No other significant traffic. I can generally get about 2x that rate over wifi.
Admin

like 3mbit/s? That's also quite slow. 3mbit/s is 384kilobytes per second. It should go much faster.
DavePDX

Just tried the same test with .avi files instead of .mp4 and I can set the rate to the max with no problems.
DavePDX

no, sorry, I can generally get about 2500 kilobytes/sec sustained on my local network over wifi
Admin

Is your iPad connected to 5GHz or 2.4GHz network?
DavePDX

Admin

I asked because iPad has problems on some 5GHz networks. But that's not your case.
DavePDX

No, I really have generally pretty good performance on my network.

Another thing I've noticed with this new version, is that sometimes when I ask it to play an mp4, instead of streaming it will wait to download the entire file before it starts playing.

The more I test this, the more puzzled I am. I get very inconsistent results when I perform the very same tests with the same files multiple times. The problems and inconsistencies seem to be much more pronounced with mp4/m4v files.
Admin

Well, the problem with direct streaming (not live conversion) is that what Air Video does is only that it gives URL of the file to iOS media player component. Everything else is pretty much out of our hands. It's rather puzzling indeed.
DavePDX

Of course I have no idea what's happening behind the scenes, but I what I'm seeing on my iDevices is that when I use the 2.2.4 client (regardless of the server version), I get perfect and fast streaming with .mp4 files. When I use the 2.4.0 client, I get unpredictable results, but mostly it hangs or stutters.

It seems that for whatever reason, with the new client somtimes the iOS media player downloads the file instead of streaming it. I have yet to see that happen with the old client regardless of the server version.
Jazzy Jazzy

Hello,

after the update of 2.4.2 I have similar problems. I have problems with getting the same fast access as with 2.4.1. Today I started to troubleshoot.

The movies are on a 10.5 Server and I use the same machine with Air Video Server for mac via afp and via bootcamp Windows 7 and SMB.

I tried to:
0. I got problems with the installation. I finally deleted air video and after I downloaded it manually from your website. Win and Mac installation caused problems. The machine now seems to be not as stable as before. It freezes at the installation process.
1. Restart the computer under osx 10.6 with the Air Video server
2. access with iphone - the movie listing from the last session loads fast
3. I opened another movies folder but the listing did not come

4. I deleted the cache
5. Then the listing came but it takes very long time
6. I did not show the thumbnails (I got network traffic on the server machine and about 20% cpu - so I think something was working)
7. Now I opened the folder - at the same time - with an ipod too.
8. Now the cpu of the server machine went up to 120% (intel dual core mac mini) and both iphone and ipod showed some error messages.
9. The cpu is still around 100% but it does not accept requests of iphone or ipod again. An error message wanted to be sent so somewhere. I agreed to send it.
10. I could not quit the server from the task-bar.

11. I will kill it now and restart with Windows 7 (please wait)

12. OK I m back on Windows 7 with air video server 2.4.2. I did not reset the thumbnails here
13. The listing on iPhone was quite fast
14. After on iPod too.
15. I now try to open some folders back and forth to cause problems, but:
16. It seem to work fine on windows 7
17. It plays also videos on iphone and ipod at the same time.

18. Now I try to fix the (probably damaged OSX) - but first I restart the 10.5 server. Probably a problem with afp. (please wait)

-----

19. I m back - the probably damaged OSX has problems to access quick to some folders on server directories. It makes directory listings very slow too. This is new after the installation of air video server - I think. So I removed it from the machine and restarted it.

20. I cannot say for shure if the afp listing from macosx is faster. With some folders it is sometimes not. Every machine in the network is different too.

21. I will install air video again from website download

22. Same problems with the listing of the video directories. It even does not list. Sometimes the listing comes but the next klick to show the specific movie will not come.

Currently I cannot watch movies with air video for osx at all.

23. The restart of the computer takes about 15 minutes. It got problems to shutdown.

-------

24. Now it seems to work (listing and playing movies) with an movies folder with 140 movies - the listing with the bigger movies folder with 1500 movies does not work. I also set some bigger folders with tons of files where I sometimes need to watch some technical movies. These also has to be parsed. All this worked perfectly with 2.4.1 air video server.

25. Now I quit (on the red minus) the app on the iPhone and start it again and just klck once on the server to wait till every folder has been counted and a number is displayed.

26... waiting - the cpu (4% for air video server and 1900 threads - growing 2100 -> 2500 -> now 2256 showing different numbers around this +-10 ) and the network says that the mac is doing something. I opened a server folder to try to get a directory listing. Now the finder access to the server is not possible. I takes and takes

27. Activity monitor shows "Finder" in red but I could open some windows - now it shows it black again

28. After about 20 minutes the treads went down to 2230 and then a error message on the iPhone came up that says: Unexpected Error. Do you want to submit... I said yes.

29. Now I tried to stop the air video server but it does not respond.

I killed air video server manually but the shutdown of the mac took again 10 minutes

------

30. Now another idea - I removed 2.4.2 air video server and installed the 2.4.0 version. Same behaviour - the smaller folder with 140 movies show up ok the bigger one does not - and the server crashed. I need to restart the mac but this took again 10 minutes to shutdown.

Hope that helps

Tell me if you want me to try something.

I hope you find a solution.

Best

-------

This message was edited 15 times. Last update was at 09/16/2010 13:48:05

Hugo

I am experiencing the same issue since the last update. I am running Air Video Server v2.4.2 on my iMac which has a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB of RAM and is running Mac OS X 10.5.8. The iOS app v2.4 is running on an iPhone 3GS. All the video files are stored in a NAS device on my network, with the folders mounted as SMB volumes on the iMac. Most of my video folders have files that number in the 20's, but I have a couple of them that have a few hundred files in them, mostly in AVI containers with XviD encoding. My home network is wired, running at 1 Gbit, with the only wireless device in the equation being the iPhone, which is connecting through 802.11g in the 2.4GHz band.

When browsing the video folders on my iPhone, the app has no problems displaying the contents and playing the videos in the smaller folders, in fact it seems faster than before when updating the thumbnail images on those folders. However, when I try to browse the larger folders, the app will display the thumbnails on the first page of files, but as soon as I try to scroll down the list, the thumbnails stop updating. At this time, if i try to open any file, the app will hang, making it literally impossible to watch movies in those folders.

When this happens, the iOS app will display the word "Loading" on the screen for a few minutes, then give me an error message saying it lost connection to the server, and brings me back to the server selection screen. If I try to reconnect, the app will say that the server cannot be reached. On the iMac side, the server application becomes unresponsive for an indefinite amount of time and the only way to bring it back is to kill it and open it again.

Before the update, everything used to work perfectly. I even had a folder that had 1021 files at one time, and Air Video had no issues scrolling through the list, updating thumbnails or playing any of the videos in there.

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: