[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Is Air Video going to be released on Andriod???  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
Jaboor

Hi any plans on releasing Air video on Andriod. I just got the Galaxy s4 and I really miss Air video.

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before in other threads.

Cheers
sjk

Short answer: no.

Did you overlook the search link in every page header?

Air Video 2.4.13 (iPad 2, iPhone 3GS [iOS 6.1.3]), Air Video Server 2.4.6-beta3u2 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.4]), 802.11g/n WLAN
Admin

Hi,

I'm not saying it's not going to happen ever, but in order to do that we would need to find another way to monetize it. Also right now we're getting quite busy with Air Video 3 and porting to android at this point would hinder our focus.
browney

Hi,
I was wondering if you could elaborate on that a bit more?

Why do you need a different way to make money from it on Android? Why doesn't charging for it in the google play store (the same way you do in the itunes app store) work?
sjk

browney wrote:Why doesn't charging for it in the google play store (the same way you do in the itunes app store) work?

Because Android users are cheapskates compared to iOS users?

Statistics claim that iOS is generally more financially lucrative for developers than Android, e.g. from Who’s Winning, iOS or Android? All the Numbers, All in One Place | TIME.com:

Who’s making money from app downloads?

According to Canalys’s data for the first quarter of this year, iOS users are spending much more on apps even if they’re downloading fewer of them overall.

Air Video 2.4.13 (iPad 2, iPhone 3GS [iOS 6.1.3]), Air Video Server 2.4.6-beta3u2 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.4]), 802.11g/n WLAN
browney

I think it is 'chicken and the egg' though. If more great apps like this were available then people would pay for them.

I really want to change to android because, quite frankly, google are leaving apple for dead when it comes to featires native to the operating system (not to mention screen size) but i can't do without either air video or 'stream to me' (which I currently think is better than air video as it offers lower nitrates and randomised play).

Surely developers will have to start making these apps for android as their market share is hudge and increasing over apple. These android users will find an android app that does the job and then when developers like the ones making air video finally get there app out it will be too late to catch back up market share.

Just my 2cents...... But not the strategy I would've taking give current trends.
sjk

browney wrote:If more great apps like this were available then people would pay for them.

I really don't know what the current mainstream demand and expectation is for higher quality apps in the Android market (or iOS market, for that matter). Stats seem to imply that with Android more people are willing to settle for inferior apps that are free than would pay for superior alternatives.

Surely developers will have to start making these apps for android as their market share is hudge and increasing over apple. These android users will find an android app that does the job and then when developers like the ones making air video finally get there app out it will be too late to catch back up market share.

Regardless of market share I think the odds are still higher for developing successful paid iOS apps. But maybe Android developers with enough incentive and resources are increasingly willing and able to take and overcome the risk (actual and perceived).

And multi-platform development/support challenges can be a significant factor. Especially smaller developers like InMethod surely have valid reasons to remain focused on improving existing products rather than venture into new markets. The complexities of growing a business isn't something everyone want to undertake; comfortably sustaining what's successful can be more desirable.

Just my 2cents......

Mine, too.

But not the strategy I would've taking give current trends.

We're only speculating about developer strategies here, of course.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: