[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
RAID Configuration and AirVideo  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
macman104

I am going to be setting up a drive bay, and I was considering a RAID setup (likely RAID 10). I was just wondering if I should expect any performance hit (or gain if my understanding of read/write changes in RAID is correct) by doing this, as opposed to something like a JBOD.

E71

Although I don't have first hand experience with 1+0 configs, I doubt very much that you'll experience a performance hit over JBOD, assuming you're using a proper hardware RAID controller.

I've used 0/1/5/6 and with the exception of RAID 1, they've all improved disk performance.

I guess the answer to your question depends on whether you're planning to serve multiple users at the same time.

With AVS, I think the main bottleneck when serving multiple users is the CPU but too many large files being read at the same time from the same disk can slow things down to a crawl too, which is where the RAID comes in handy.
macman104

Thanks for the info. I actually went to a RAID 0 configuration after finding a great online backup site that I will use instead of RAID 10 setup.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: