[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Good bye Air Video  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
rivox1

After many months without a decent update to the iOS app I am calling it quits with AirVideo.

I have personally made several feature requests that have been supported by the community and have read many useful feature requests from others. There has also been a number of bugs reported with the iOS app and all we get is a response from the devs that the new version is going to be awesome and that it's almost ready... Well, it has been "almost" ready for more than a year and I for one am tired of waiting.

As of earlier today I bought the Plex app and I am in the process of changing all of my media workflow to Plex.

It really sucks that I paid for this app and used to recommend it to friends, and the developers just stopped supporting it.

We didn't need an entire rewrite, all we wanted as users was a few simple additions to what used to be a pretty solid media management software. I have a lot of experience as a developer myself, and it shouldn't take more than a couple of months (even if the dev "team" is only one person) to add the few features that have been requested the most... We've been waiting for more than a year and zero updates.

I encourage all of the readers of this forum to demand to receive what is reasonably expected when we pay for apps... SUPPORT FROM THE DEVS. I didn't feel I was getting it, so I'm bailing!

I will consider returning and recommending this app again once this infamous "re-write" comes to light... If it ever does so... And if it does, it needs to be the most epic rewrite in the history of software since it has taken more than a year to make.

Cheers and Good luck!

Admin

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. The new software is currently being beta tested, if you are interested just write an email to support (at) inmethod.com .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/27/2013 15:15:49

edrikk

Agree 100%, and I posted something similar in the announcements thread.

It's just strange to do a complete rewrite when what's there already works so well, and the things that people are asking are mainly cosmetic items. The most commonly asked item is actually ability to password protect some folders... As a former dev, given the level of security that such a function in such an app would require (i.e. not bullet proof) that's not a significant undertaking.

I remember reading that rewrite was needed to get away from Java and to improve the 'conversion pipeline', which is great, but again, for a paid app, not quite what the users want... Whether it's Java or .Net, people have to install 'something' unless the code is being written in Standard C/C++. And as for ffmpeg, although I'm not a fan of the fact that airvideo has (slightly) modified it, at least it's code maintained by a 'big body.' I hope the rewrite / conversion pipeline enhancements aren't building this into the app.

At the end of the day, I think this app really needs more clarity / communication to the users, and (for the lack of a better term) better Project Management. Again, after-all, it's a paid app, and with that, some 'leeway' that freeware allows for (in my opinion) goes away.

Just my 2 cents. And I tried to write that in as objective way as possible.
Admin

We wouldn't have done it unless we had really good reason to do it. Java is a deployment issue, bigger now than it was before. Every Java update breaks the JRE for small percentage of users. Also Oracle now bundles a toolbar in JRE installation which is definitely something that was not happening when we first started shipping.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/05/2013 18:31:19

rivox1

I very much understand the Java issues, still... Unless the dev team is just one person it shouldn't take so long to re-write.

I fully agree with edrikk, it seems at this point that the main issue here is "Project-Management" rather than development itself. Unfortunately to the users this lack of management translates into a feeling of being stringed along by a dangling carrot.

I hate to say it, but in my opinion AirVideo missed the bus... I think Plex has gained so much momentum and it is such a solid, well supported ecosystem that it's going to be unbeatable. Still I'm always rooting for the little guy.

I once again extend an invitation to the AirVideo dev team: as an experienced developer and workflow manager (I have degrees and extensive experience in Video Editing/Production, Computer Science, and Applied Mathematics) I am willing to serve as beta tester of this infamous "re-write". I'm not looking to get paid... just offer my two cents in my spare time!

Cheers!

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: