[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
New version wont work with folders with many files  XML
Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
flixxx13

This may be an issue with how the server is accessing network shares, although I don't have any locally stored media to see if that has the same issue. All worked fine until this latest client/server update. I ended up downloading the 2.4.3 beta1 server, cleared the thumbnail cache and all of that but was still having this issue. My NAS shares are mounted via AFP but I tried SMB and CIFS just to see if that changed anything but still had the issue. My smaller folders (70 items or so) all showed all content just fine but I noticed the big folder (about 350 items) would load a few items and then seemingly freeze.

I checked the server on my mac mini and tried removing the 'big' folder and just re-adding it but just got the spinning wheel and none of the content in that folder would show when I highlighted it in the dialog box. However I could still access that same share from my desktop without issue. At this point, I tried to cancel that operation and quit the server but nothing was happening. I had to quit the app using activity monitor and then relaunched the server. When I tried to add the AFP shared folder this time, I could see all of the content. With the server running, I then accessed the 'big' folder using the latest iphone client and the couple of thumbnails that had loaded previously were there, then the next few started to load, then.... freeze.

So, I found that quitting the server from the menu bar icon and then restarting it would load a few more thumbnails as you scroll the list. Every time it would freeze, I just went through the same stop/start process until all the thumbnails were loaded. Then, one last stop and start and everything kinda works... as long as you don't scroll, stop, scroll, stop, scroll, stop...... that seems to lock up the server again. But at least I'm able to use the program somewhat now.....

setup:
2ghz core2duo mac mini
4gig RAM
iphone3gs 4.0.1
air video 2.4.3 beta1 server, 2.4.0 client
ReadyNAS NV+ shares mounted over AFP
wired network: gig switched
wireless: n+b/g 2.4 (airport extreme)
Admin

Another beta is available (for OS X). If you are getting invalid files on remote folders, please try this one. (It should clear the thumbnail cache automatically).

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/download/Air%20Video%20Server%202.4.3-beta2.dmg
Jazzy Jazzy

I tested 2.4.3 beta2 - sorry the listing of the large folder takes lot of time (nothing displayed) and ended with a communitcation error. The time is far too long compared with the windows server version of air video.

But the threads went down to not more than 47 and the air video server did not crash.

Thank you for working on this issue

Best

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/21/2010 10:43:31

flixxx13

2.4.3 beta2 still times out on folders with lots of items. This time when it times out, it says unexpected error occurred and asks to submit an anonymous bug report. Everything else seems to be the same as 2.4.3 beta1.... see my previous post
Admin

There seem to be two problems. Thumbnail generation and timeout.
Btw, did you submit the bug report? If so, what is your computer name?
flixxx13

i just submitted one. i was testing with remote access and got the unexpected error message. comp name is mini23
Jazzy Jazzy

it contains 299

Best
Admin

Okay, I was able to get the loading stuck on AFP folder with 480 items. If it is caused by same thing as your problem beta 3 should fix it.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/download/Air%20Video%20Server%202.4.3-beta3.dmg
Jazzy Jazzy

with 2.4.3 beta3 the listing appears in about 3 times the time of the windows version and of the version server-app before.

For showing the thumbnails I did not wait

Klicking on a video leads in a communication error after about tree minutes.

the second time I was trying the threads went to 147 and after same long time waiting it leads in a communication error

Best
flixxx13

Cool, thanks! I'll check it out....
Admin

Jazzy Jazzy wrote:with 2.4.3 beta3 the listing appears in about 3 times the time of the windows version and of the version server-app before.

For showing the thumbnails I did not wait

Klicking on a video leads in a communication error after about tree minutes.

the second time I was trying the threads went to 147 and after same long time waiting it leads in a communication error

Best

Beta 3 should certainly not spawn so many threads. It looks like the AFP implementation in Leopard is really really bad with big folders.
flixxx13

still having issues when the big folder is connected via AFP. tried mounting as SMB again and seems to be working again. it's just strange that up until the latest client/server version of Air Video I had been accessing this same folder via AFP mount with no issues.
Admin

What kind of problems exactly? Does the folder content show? Are the thumbnails loading? What exactly goes wrong?
flixxx13

Same issues as before. A few thumbnails will load, then freeze. Clicking on a video will not bring up the landing page to play, etc... but just has the spinning wheel like it's still working. Check the server on the Mac and it's unresponsive trying to quit or stop the server... have to quit via activity monitor.

I figured this time I'd try adding the folder via SMB mount as that also didn't work initially but this time it seems to work great. Whatever you changed in beta3 must have fixed SMB. I'll see if I can think of anything else to try....
Admin

There is one thing you could try to do that would be extremely helpful.

When the server is busy loading the folder, try to get the stack dump using following instructions

1. Open Terminal (it is in Applications/Utilities)

2. Execute the following command:

jps

There result should look like this (with different numbers)
90574 Jps

Take the number on line without Jps (if there are multiple lines without Jps take the highest number) and use it in next command

3. Execute the following command

jstack 90523 > ~/Desktop/stack.txt

(replace 90523 with the number from previous command).

If everything went well, this should create file stack.txt on your desktop. You can attach the file to here

Forum Index » Air Video Problems and Solutions
Go to: