[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Best Format/Settings to rip for the iPad  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
user

Hi there, I've had AirVideo on my iphone for a while and love it. I have ordered an iPad and won't be getting it till later this month. I have a large DVD collection that I haven't started ripping yet.

Can anyone here recommend the best format (avi, mov, ???) and settings (resolution, etc) to rip the movies to, with the primary use case being watching them on the iPad? I'm on a Mac so I think Handbrake will be the best tool for doing so? Apologies if this info is already well covered, if someone can direct me to where I can find this info? FYI storage is not an issue....I have many terrabytes awaiting my DVD rips.

Thanks in advance!
Admin

It's hard to say really. IPad's native resolution is 1024x768, but it remains to be seen what works best on the screen.
user

Some answers here:

http://gizmodo.com/5508909/ipad-test-notes-your-video

....includes a shoutout to Air Video as well!
santiagodraco

If your source is HD, say Blu-Ray and you plan on playing those stored videos on a home theater PC (for example) in the future, then you should store as close to native resolution and quality as you can.

If you are then only planning on using Airvideo to play your videos on the iPad you're set and won't have any issues (since it will transcode the movies on the fly, including reducing 1080p movies for playback on the iPad.

Alternately if you want to copy the movies TO your iPad then you have no choice but to create videos in the size and format supported on the device.
digitlnoize

Most of mine at 720p .mkv files. Work perfectly with AirVideo.
DumbTechDude

user wrote:Hi there, I've had AirVideo on my iphone for a while and love it. I have ordered an iPad and won't be getting it till later this month. I have a large DVD collection that I haven't started ripping yet.

Can anyone here recommend the best format (avi, mov, ???) and settings (resolution, etc) to rip the movies to, with the primary use case being watching them on the iPad? I'm on a Mac so I think Handbrake will be the best tool for doing so? Apologies if this info is already well covered, if someone can direct me to where I can find this info? FYI storage is not an issue....I have many terrabytes awaiting my DVD rips.

Thanks in advance!

You should always set to the native resolution of your iPad. However, native resolution alone is not what determines the optimal play quality. You need to choose the bitrate as well. It's a bit tricky because bitrate determination is based on what transmission medium are you going to have your movies streamed on? Native, WIFI or 3G?!? The slower the connection, the lower the bitrate and the lower picture quality. But this is not a worry since DVD itself is low rez compared to say 720p or 1080p.

Rip your DVDs at native resolution and at the highest bitrate your computer can comfortably accommodate without taking eons to finish. Then, let Air Video do the live conversion based on your iPad's connection rate (be WIFI or 3G) if this is possible from your computer.
kate59588

user wrote:Hi there, I've had AirVideo on my iphone for a while and love it. I have ordered an iPad and won't be getting it till later this month. I have a large DVD collection that I haven't started ripping yet.

Thanks in advance!

Best iPad Video settings

Follow the optimal settings to get excellent playback quality.
Video:
Codec: H.264
Size: 640*480 or 1280*720
Bitrate: 2500kbps
Frame rate: 30fps
Audio:
Codec: aac
Sample rate: 48khz
Bitrate: 160kbps
Channels: Stereo

I use Pavtube blu ray ripper.I am really excited that Pavtube have released the Blu-Ray Ripper for Apple. It has been really annoying and frustrating going in to Windows to rip Blu-Rays.It is a powerful tool specially designed for Mac users to rip, convert, backup and edit both Blu-ray and DVD movies. The ripper could remove all the protections of Blu-ray and DVD movies , back up the movies to hard drive, rip and convert them into other popular audio and video formats to playback on your beloved portable devices such as iPad, iPod, iPhone, Xbox 360, Apple TV ect .

You can download from: http://www.pavtube.com/blu-ray-ripper-mac/
HotStuff2

[Avatar]

Once again, free tools are the best. The one you mentioned is for a Mac; on a Windows-based system, SUPER © is the sh*t, with native H.264 support, no need for external codecs, ability to process literally every video format out there, and it's freakin' free. Amazing.

Hans Felsh
(ISC)² SSCP & CISSP®-ISSEP® certified
CWNP Alliance CWSP® certified
CompTIA A+®, Network+®, Server+™, and Security+™
Microsoft MCSA Security, MCSE Security
(These are just some of the many certs I've collected over the years.)

‟One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” ̶ Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), American author, ‟A Message to Garcia”
roxan8763

Why not try Aunsoft iMedia Converter for Mac ?It is a perfect combination of a Mac Blu-ray Ripper and a Mac Video Converter, which can let you easily crack complicated Blu-ray/DVD encryption, backup or rip the full Blu-Ray/DVD to hard drive with original quality and enjoy on a non HDCP monitor or TV set.
oposky2006

I just came across a good Press Release about Best Program to convert DVD to iPad from prmac.com.
It got high sorces and reputation.
Have a look at here:
http://prmac.com/release-id-12647.htm
suoying14

iPad Supported Video Formats

* H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

* MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

* Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

* Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable

You can downloding Aunsoft iMedia Converter for Mac,You may use this on your computer as well.
http://www.aunsoft.com/imedia-converter-mac/
windbell

Thanks in advance!

The best format for iPad is MP4, and the best resolution ratio is 640×480 and 1280*720

WMV to FLV
[WWW]
sjk

Looks like "user" has abandoned this topic, but here's my contribution to it anyway …

user wrote:Can anyone here recommend the best format (avi, mov, ???) and settings (resolution, etc) to rip the movies to, …

I've been satisfied with ISO format rips (which retains the native DVD format) using MTR 4, then using other software/hardware (e.g. DVD2oneX, DVDRemaster (Pro), MPEG Streamclip, Turbo.264 HD, Toast) to do post-processing (e.g. combining VOB files, DVD-9 to DVD-5 compression, conversions) as necessary. I rarely convert ripped DVDs to other formats, preferring playback on devices that support their native format.

I suggest avoiding AVI whenever possible.

… with the primary use case being watching them on the iPad?

Streaming and/or copied to it?

I'm on a Mac so I think Handbrake will be the best tool for doing so?

I don't have much experience with Handbrake, though notice it frequently recommended by OS X users for its high quality H.264 output. I think it might fail ripping some of the newer DVDs with craftier encryption that MTR 4 (and RipIt and Mac DVDRipper Pro) can handle.

Apologies if this info is already well covered, if someone can direct me to where I can find this info?

When they exist, support-centric forums of specific products can be useful resources.

Maybe check the Mac subforum of the VideoHelp.com Forum. And the What is DVD? - VideoHelp.com page is informative if you want some basic technical background on that topic.

Nowadays there's so much information about topics like this that I don't bother keeping track of where it is anymore, instead relying on being search-savvy enough to usually find what I'm looking for. So, other folks would be better qualified with specific recommendations.

FYI storage is not an issue....I have many terrabytes awaiting my DVD rips.

In that case you might consider a "rip first, convert later" strategy.

Air Video 2.4.13 (iPad 2, iPhone 3GS [iOS 6.1.3]), Air Video Server 2.4.6-beta3u2 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.4]), 802.11g/n WLAN
sjk

Tomerpeter wrote:

Yet another variant of those converter apps spamvertised on a video-centric forums.

Air Video 2.4.13 (iPad 2, iPhone 3GS [iOS 6.1.3]), Air Video Server 2.4.6-beta3u2 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.4]), 802.11g/n WLAN
Admin

sjk wrote:
Tomerpeter wrote:

Yet another variant of those converter apps spamvertised on a video-centric forums.

Yeah, it's kinda annoying.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: