[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Vobsub Subtitle Support  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
ljc1423

I wanted to stop here and say thank you for such a great application. It's rare to find software these days that works as well as Air Video does!

I also wanted to ask if there has been any consideration to adding Vobsub support to Air Video, and if not, is that something that could be considered as a feature down the road?

Thanks again!
Admin

We can think about it, but I'm not sure how many people are actually using vobsub subtitles. I think most of the time those are just converted (OCR) to textual form, as the vobsub quality is usually quite poor.
jockyw2001

I use Air Video because I don't want to bother about converting any of my dvds. I just rip the main movie and concatenate the vobs. I strongly support this request.
thebasa

I second. mkv container doesn't support Blu-Ray sup subtitle format but blu-ray converters like ripbot264 can convert those subs to vobsub format with bdsup2sub so they can go in the mkv. creating srt is a painful OCR process best avoided. so all my new bd rips with subs end up vobsub in mkv now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/01/2010 19:42:24

Charlatan

I wanted to come in here and add my support for subtitle functionality. I know part of the appeal of Air Video is its simplicity but I don't think it would be made too complex by adding the ability to use subtitles.
Admin

Air Video already does support (textual) subtitles. It's the sub/idx format that this thread is about.
garrettair

I use CCCP and I am pretty sure it uses DirectVobSub (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VSFilter_DirectVobSub) to show subtitles.
It is available in .dll form, so you might be able to integrate it with AirVideo, but I don't know much about that stuff.

If the VobSub you are talking about are these:

I would really prefer if the VobSub option was available, it makes a huge difference in many subtitle situations.

AirVideo Standard

Using DirectVobSub

quasicom

Admin wrote:We can think about it, but I'm not sure how many people are actually using vobsub subtitles. I think most of the time those are just converted (OCR) to textual form, as the vobsub quality is usually quite poor.

First of all, excellent app!!!
For most Asian countries, people would prefer to use the vobsub subtitles, as converting them to textual form is rather inconvenient (albeit the quality is quite poor.)
We have the same situation: When we want to play a film in Airvideo, we have to use Subrip to convert the subs to srt first... and unlike English, there are ~5000 words in chinese...
We would really appreciate it if vobsub subtitles option is supported in the near future! =)

Again thanks for such a great app!
HawkEyeTS

I would like to throw my hat in for DirectVobSub support as well for two reasons. One, it would cover my previous request of supporting stylized SSA subtitles, and two, it would allow me to view subtitles created by the MakeMKV DVD-to-MKV ripping program. Since there is no support to view DVD subtitles directly from ripped VOB files, MakeMKV would be an easy workaround if VobSub type subtitles were supported (as that's what it creates while ripping).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/21/2010 02:31:31

centaur

I just wanted to throw in asking for this feature too. Now that handbrake supports subtitles I have been ripping my DVDs and then coverting them with handbrake. I have a lot of anime DVDs which are encoded with directvobsub subtitles now that I can't watch on air video. The vobsub quality is quite good but they are visual subs. I suppose you would want to render them on the server side and then send them with the rest of the image. Dunno how hard tihs would be, but it would be a nice feature for you to have. Your main competition doesn't support vobsub either.
mk2000

I would also like to throw my vote in for support of this feature request for VOB or VIDEO_TS subtitle live conversion support.
reassureguy

IM sure this is useful content for me ...

dvd ripping software, dvd to ipad 2
[WWW]
uranach

Hi, Air Video is really quite a cool app.

However, I also would love to see VobSub supported to avoid the painful OCR step.
Andrewx7

I'd also like to add my vote for vobsub support, especially if it would allow stylized subtitles
timo_g

Hi

I'd also like to add my vote for vobsub support !!
i convert my ISO/BluRays with Pavtube ... it works great for me ... like a one-click-app ...
i have a high-quality MKV with multi-audio and multi-subtitle.... the files playing fine with vlc (with multi audio streams and selectable subs)
with airvideo they are playing very well (also streaming to Apple TV) ... in high quality and selectable audio....

but no subtitles ;(

i would love this feature
please support it

cheers
Timo

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: