[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Air Video for iPad  XML
Forum Index » Air Video General
Admin

The CPU upgrade would most likely help. Video card upgrade wouldn't. Air Video only uses CPU to transcode the videos.
guy559

Just started using AirVideo on the iPad and iPhone. Both work extremely well. A couple of observations /requests:

1. Per an earlier post, thumbnail images do take a long time to initially load (354 movies in a NAS box). After initial creation, however, the files all load much quicker.

2. Feature request: for those of us with folders with numerous videos, can there be a small side area by filenames that will quickly take you to files that start with a particular letter, a la address book? This would make navigating to a particular section much quicker.

3. Small bug. Even after the initial thumbnails load, if I swipe too fast through the files the thumbnails are replaced with question marks. Exiting, restarting and scrolling slowly prevents this, but seems like a possible fix for next version.

Overall, a fantastic application at I look forward to using on cruise (aircraft carrier).
tehviking

Admin wrote:
tehviking wrote:I still hold this up to be the most amazing iPad application to date... really like living in the future.

I do have one thing that irritates me, and there may be an easy fix. I get subtitles by default on all movies. And I can't change the setting before watching the movie, I have to hit "play with live conversion", "stop", change subtitles to "Disabled", and hit "play with live conversion" again.

Is there a way to make "Disabled" the default setting?

In Air Video Server properties subtitle Tab make sure all languages are set to "None" and "Disable embedded subtitles if no language matches" is checked.

That worked like a charm. Thanks!

Incidentally, this is the first time I've been excited for Apple to upgrade the Mac Mini. Suddenly I have an itch for something faster than my 2.0GHz C2D...
Egas

Air video for iPad works great, thanks for this awesome app, i would gladly pay more for it.
Live converting 720p Mkvs from my c2d Mac mini to max iPad resolution works like a charm.

My only problem: live converting the same 720p mkv from my readynas connected via gigabit lan to my Mac mini results in freezing every 20 seconds or so. Any ideas what i could do to solve this? Maybe the option to increase the buffersize as suggested before in this thread?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work and add an in app donate button!
Admin

Hi,

I'm not sure why it doesn't work from the NAS. It might be that the mac is not powerful enough to both read it from network and transcode. The buffer is unlikely to help, as the bottleneck is probably on much lower levels (such as network read) than Air Video itself.

You can check the live conversion log, the current conversion FPS should be printed out every few seconds.
Egas

Thanks for your fast reply. It seems streaming is not the problem but converting. If I convert a 1.1 gb 720p mkv (50 minutes video) it takes around 30 minutes from the hard drive, but if i convert it from the readynas it takes 70 minutes.

So I figure this could be due to 2 causes:
1. Slow reading from The NAS
2. Slow writing to the NAS which seems more logical since it is configured in RAID 5

This leads me to two questions:
Where is the file/buffer stored during live converion? Also in the directory of the source file?
Would it be possible to add an option in the server to change the place where the coverted file is stored?

Admin

There are no temporary files created during live conversion.
Egas

Thanks for fast reply again. So it must be slow read speeds from the readynas during conversion. Guess i need a local ready to stream directory on my Mac mini.
voip-ninja

I love your app for the iPad. Unfortunately a lot of my files are high bitrate blu-ray rips (that I've converted to .mkv) and my Windows Home Server seems to be struggling with the conversion as the video will pause every 20 seconds or so... it seems to do this more frequently with H.264 video than with VC1 or MPEG2.

Two questions (and one suggestion!);

1. In a future version would it be impossible to increase buffer time to alleviate this to some degree? The machine is a C2D 2.0ghz CPU but clearly struggling with on the fly conversion from 1080P source material.

2. In the event I'm forced to do offline conversion, where are the temp files stored? I have the application installed on the system partition of my WHS box and it is only 20GB in size (this is an OS restriction).

3. Would love to see a Windows Home Server Add-In for AirVideo, would do really well in the WHS community I think!
Admin

Hi,

the increased buffer size would unlikely help in this case.

Files from offline conversion are stored in same folder as original files.
Ian B

How does air video handle digital copies that come with blu rays and DVDs? Will they stream or are they drm'ed and won't play?
tallpgr

Hi... new to the forum and still searching to see if this has been addressed, but wanted to get feedback on my issue anyway.

Just started using AirVideo with an iPad and works well as described.

The problem I'm trying to solve is getting video output on the iPad to work when playing a video through AV. I've got three types of connection that I've tested, and none of them divert the video from the screen to the output cable: Composite video through Scosche IPAV cable, Component video through Scosche IPAVRGB cable, and video to a projector (http://www.microvision.com/showwx) through their own iPad->projector cable.

The audio does appear on the cable but video playback stays on the iPad screen.

The bundled (iTunes) player properly diverts the video to each of those interfaces when playing a video.

Any ideas what could be preventing video from appearing. It appears from other posts that some people can get video out from their iPhones, but I havn't come across a posting about successfully playing video from the iPad.

Thanks!
Admin

iPad version of air video doesn't currently support TV out.
Teppka

Admin wrote:
tehviking wrote:I still hold this up to be the most amazing iPad application to date... really like living in the future.

I do have one thing that irritates me, and there may be an easy fix. I get subtitles by default on all movies. And I can't change the setting before watching the movie, I have to hit "play with live conversion", "stop", change subtitles to "Disabled", and hit "play with live conversion" again.

Is there a way to make "Disabled" the default setting?

In Air Video Server properties subtitle Tab make sure all languages are set to "None" and "Disable embedded subtitles if no language matches" is checked.

Did not work for me. I set all languages to "none" in the languages tabs and checked "Disable embedded subtitles if no language matches".
Subtitles still show up in my iPad while watching over live conversion.

Please advise.
Admin

That only works for embedded subtitles. If your subtitles are external (srt, ssa, etc) they will still load. You will have to disable them by tapping on movie preview.

Forum Index » Air Video General
Go to: