[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: DumbTechDude
Forum Index » Profile for DumbTechDude » Messages posted by DumbTechDude
I think what Hotstuff2 is inferring to in a straight data dump to a web browser. Since most web browser can play video providing that the PC has the appropriate codecs installed, a straight dump play is not at all impossible. This is not new though as Twonky Media and TVersity can do this. If you do this over a local network, I think it will work because it has the speed. I think the straight dump is basically playing the native file without live conversion. I see several problems with this implementation. First is using port # other than 80 or 443 is not going to work well in most corporate or hotel setup or even some ISPs, because they close them to people who want to stream. Any company network topology will fail this setup. Which is the reason why most commercial sites with videos don't ask you to open any special ports before you view the video and work in almost all environments unless it is banned by the network administrator. Second of-course is bandwidth control and conversion hand-off. Who is doing this? If the client is a dumb terminal (Web Browser), not the official Air Video client app, who is going to tell the server to transcode at what bit rate? I don't think the server can tell for certain if the video client is connected via 3G or 2G, wireless B or even on a dial-up? If the server does a straight data dump off its original video file with such a high bit-rate, it may not play at all. The Global settings for bit-rate is "on" the Air Video app client side and pops up only if a video is selected. So I think it is very proprietary hand-off wise.

Lastly, if video is stuttering on your client machines, this means the stream server bandwidth is limited or the client machine is not fast enough to deal with the flash video being streamed over. Flash is a resource hog, which is why Apple never included it into their iPhone, iTouch and iPads. The best way to reduce stuttering is to lower the bit-rate enough not to. This is a compromise between stream quality vs stream smoothness. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for more bandwidth and if they are more users watching your videos, bandwidth will then become limited again!
Sigyt wrote:What about videos from the hard drive, how do I transfer those?

Ok, I think the OP wants to know how to upload his movies and Youtube downloads directly into his iPad's storage memory without going through iTunes, so no streaming is involved.

The iPad by itself is NOT a laptop or a desktop. It can not play non-native videos without having being converted first by iTunes or being live transcoded via the Air Video server software on your PC. If you try to upload any video files directly into the iPad's memory from your hard drive, which you can through a special software/hardware NAS or FileZilla combination (SMB or FTP), it simply will not play period. They must be converted using either Handbrake or Turbo h.264HD into an iPad compatible resolution and bitrate. They must be in Apple iPad approved h.264 format. It would certainly be nice (a future feature) if the Air Video server software would do off-line conversion and then have the option on the client side to upload the converted video to an iPhone, iPad or iTouch's built-in memory for native playback.
cyphers wrote:I'm a little new to Air Video. All the materials indicated offline play is supported, but I can't figure it out. I converted several videos and was able to play them when connected to my main network, but obviously that is useless as if I wanted to watch a video at home I would just use a television. So the point being to transfer several videos to the iPad for travel to sites without Internet, I disabled the WiFi and was then unable to access the videos. So how do I tell it to store the converted video because obviously there wont be access to my main desktop when I actually want to play videos like on my cruise next week.

You can't. Air Video streams non-native video format onto an Apple iPhone/Pad or Touches, which means you need a physical ethernet connection, be it Cat 5e/6, 3G or WIFI or whatever radio means. If you want to load up movies, you have to sync them via iTunes prior to your cruise. Or, there is a more complicated way to do this and it works with my iPhone (no iPad to test but should work nonetheless) wirelessly and I can pick and choose what I like to watch off my 250Gb portable drive. We're going on the cruise in a few weeks as well and this will become our family's entertainment center! And no, it's not streaming off a laptop either (we are not bringing one).

I don't know if this works with an iPad as I don't have one yet to try it out but plan to soon. But on the iPhone 3GS at least, I do not use iTunes to LOAD videos, photos or MP3 music into my iPhone 3GS. In fact, I always sync movies wirelessly converted already by Turbo H.264HD or Handbrake stored in a portable mini 250Gb hard drive through a portable wireless self-contained mobile NAS with built-in SMB and FTP servers. The whole package is about the size of a VHS tape (maybe smaller). The benefit of this is that, it's MORE convenient than the wired iTunes syncing plus my videos are always played in a higher bitrate -- I'm not bound by connection bandwidth and I can erase movies as easily as a single swipe action. I haven't tried DRM stuff, but I don't think it should be a problem. The actual file is in the phone memory once uploaded rather than needing to be streamed.

DTD.
appadaytv wrote:It seems that Air Video works fine over local network and 3G here in Los Angeles.
I got my mom an iPad and installed Air Video app for her.
She connects via wi-fi (2.4 megs down .890 up)
She can connect without issue but when she starts watching a video is stops after a few minutes and the spinning wheel will show over the video.
The connection on the server machine is 22 megs down 1.9 up and the computer is a 64bit Win 7 machine with 4 gigs of ram and a fast processor.
I take it back. Even trying to run a video via 3G here in LA it never streams. It shows a frame with the spinning circle and the audio plays ok, but no video.
Over 3G or from the Wi Fi in Flordia it just can't stream reliably. The timeline displays across the middle of the video frame too, weird.
Wi Fi it's perfect.
so as a test i turned Wi Fi off on the iPad while sitting at home in front of the computer. Full bars on 3G
It connects to air video, then shows the folders, I can select the folders and everything shows up fine.
Then I choose the simpsons 175 MB file at 624x352
I tap play with live conversion and it starts spinning and then the timeline bar shows up across the middle of the video.
Then the audio starts but loops back to the beginning 4 times before finally playing the rest of the episode.
The problem is it never gets past the Simpsons logo on the opening. It plays the audio fine but the video is on the first frame and spinning white circle thing.

Hmm...
Here is the entry from earlier

Encoder: FFmpeg version UNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
Encoder: built on Feb 7 2010 20:00:41 with gcc 4.4.0
Encoder: configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --prefix=/mingw --target-os=mingw32 --arch=i686 --cpu=i686 --enable-gpl --enable-libx264 --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-pthreads --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaad --disable-decoder=aac
Encoder: libavutil 50. 8. 0 / 50. 8. 0
Encoder: libavcodec 52.52. 0 / 52.52. 0
Encoder: libavformat 52.50. 0 / 52.50. 0
Encoder: libavdevice 52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
Encoder: libswscale 0.10. 0 / 0.10. 0
Encoder:
Encoder: Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 23.98 (65535/2733) -> 23.98 (2500000/104271)
Encoder: Input #0, avi, from 'C:\\MEDIADOWNLOADS\\thissummer.avi':
Encoder: Metadata:
Encoder: ISFT : Nandub v1.0rc2
Encoder: Duration: 01:35:04.58, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1022 kb/s
Encoder: Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 640x272 [PAR 1:1 DAR 40:17], 23.98 tbr, 23.98 tbn, 23.98 tbc
Encoder: Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 128 kb/s
Encoder: [libx264 @ 0x299fee0]using SAR=1/1
Encoder: [libx264 @ 0x299fee0]using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 Cache64
Encoder: [libx264 @ 0x299fee0]VBV maxrate unspecified, assuming CBR
Encoder: [libx264 @ 0x299fee0]profile Baseline, level 2.1
Encoder: Output #0, mpegts, to 'pipe:':
Encoder: Stream #0.0: Video: libx264, yuv420p, 572x244 [PAR 1:1 DAR 143:61], q=2-48, 470 kb/s, 90k tbn, 23.98 tbc
Encoder: Stream #0.1: Audio: libmp3lame, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 96 kb/s
Encoder: Stream mapping:
Encoder: Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Encoder: Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
Encoder: Press [q] to stop encoding
Encoder: frame= 48 fps= 0 q=24.0 size= 8kB time=0.04 bitrate=1550.5kbits/s dup=0 drop=130
Encoder: frame= 765 fps=139 q=21.0 size= 2226kB time=29.95 bitrate= 608.9kbits/s dup=0 drop=130
Segmenter: [mpegts @ 0x3ca910]max_analyze_duration reached
Segmenter: [mpegts @ 0x3ca910]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Segmenter: Output #0, mpegts, to '':
Segmenter: Stream #0.0: Video: libx264, yuv420p, 572x244, q=2-31, 90k tbn, 23.98 tbc
Segmenter: Stream #0.1: Audio: libmp3lame, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 96 kb/s
Segmenter: [mpegts @ 0x2ca8a60]stream 0, bit rate is not set, this will cause problems
Segmenter: Offsetting timestamps by:32400000.000000
Segmenter: [mpegts @ 0x2ca8a60]st:1 error, non monotone timestamps 32463000 >= 32463000
Segmenter: Wrote segment 40
Encoder: frame= 1484 fps=141 q=17.0 size= 4491kB time=59.93 bitrate= 613.8kbits/s dup=0 drop=130
Encoder: frame= 2209 fps=142 q=23.0 size= 6741kB time=90.17 bitrate= 612.4kbits/s dup=0 drop=130
Segmenter: Wrote segment 45
Encoder: frame= 2870 fps=116 q=18.0 size= 8864kB time=117.74 bitrate= 616.7kbits/s dup=0 drop=130

I think this is the latest entry, I scrolled to the bottom of the log and go this.
I have no problems connecting via 3G here in LA
Any help is appreciated.

Most important thing is the upload bandwidth of your internet connection for the streaming computer. All of the broadband connections in North America have decent download speeds in excess of 1Mbps. What I found is that you should have at least 512kbps of upload bandwidth to stream and because of radio frequency latency issues, you need to setup in your Global settings to lower than 512Kbps, such 320kbps or lower on your Air Video client app until streaming becomes smooth again. 256kbps or 320kbps global setting working with 512Kbps upstream with 3G or WIFI over long distances seemed best I found. Problem with streaming with such a low bitrate is the quality -- you'll start seeing compression artifacts which is manageable on the iPhone with its smaller screen, but becomes obviously noticeable with an iPad.

Hope this helps..
DTD
Well, that is no exactly true. A corporation use routers for their internet business, unless it is one that is willing to loose corporate data to thieves internally or hackers outside. What they are using are usually more sophisticated and secure appliances than your normal home router. The router they use would be a UTM (Unified Threat Management) from SonicWall, Cisco or Checkpoint and it stands, a unit that does not easily allow incoming or outgoing unauthorized data to be passed through due to obvious reasons! Usually, they use VPN services to make inter-branch internet connection anyhow which breaks special ports. The only way that you can open the port is to talk to your IT department and explain why you need that port opened and to which terminal you wish to stream from. There are ways to bypass this by using proxy VPN, but it only works for awhile until the IT people in your company realized huge data streaming coming from your terminal (most UTM have sophisticated logging and statistical reporting) and they might want to ask YOU to explain the reason why your terminal is pushing mega to gigabyte of data where everyone else is not. If you sign an IT agreement stating no streaming or uploading of data of any kind, barring immediate dismissal, then don't.

scooter64 wrote:Thanks alot for the reply DumbTechDude, and letting me know what works for you. I have the original Turbo 264, that doesn't help stream Live TV like yours does. But my Turbo stick helps do the conversion to iphone format for recorded content, so that is something.

Live TV works great over 3g & Wifi for me, but the problem I'm having is that recorded tv shows need to be converted first to stream to the iPhone, and even after the conversion the file takes 60 seconds to buffer and possibly play, with stuttering. Not good.

So I was hoping that Air Video could look inside the EyeTV archives, and convert on-the-fly the transport streams from the recorded shows, so that I wouldn't first need to even transcode to iphone format. Plus, even my converted for iphone content doesn't want to play properly on 3G. It seems other people have complained the LIVE 3G content works superior than trying to stream the recorded content.

As you may have guessed I'm not really technically savvy, but I can muddle through.

I was hoping somebody could tell me: Can Air Video play TS files from EyeTV?

Anyone?

Actually, you got my curiosity here, so I tried it with my recorded shows using Air Video (server 2.2.6u1) and client. Despite the wierd treatment of my pre-recorded TS files where they became folders instead of actually video files, I played them just fine. Buffering took 5 secs with no Turbo 264HD help, much like viewing it from EyeTV app. This is the same buffering time playing normal video files -- HD files will take about 1 to 2 secs more..

Are you sure you have a powerful enough computer? It does take quite a bit of processing power to do quick live conversion..

scooter64 wrote:Wow, there aren't any EyeTV users who read the Air VideoForum? Does it make a difference what resolution/size the Transport Stream is?

FYI, the hardware i use is Plextor’s ConvertX PX-TV402U PVR USB capture device. It's not Elgato's hardware, if that makes a difference?

Any help here would be appreciated guys.

Thanks so much!

Well yes I am an EyeTV user, but I use the Elgato Turbo H.264 to stream Live TV as well as recorded shows onto my iPhone 3GS better than a Slingbox HD. Works perfectly just like Air Video, except it doesn't use the entire CPU of my Macbook to convert HD content.

Other than that, I use a Happauge USB tuner ATSC/Digital HD capture device to get my channels..

Cheers..
I like to add to this that the Elgato Turbo H.264 turbo stick does aid video encoding with the Mac. While it's a MAC only support, it works really well with EyeTV using Live TV on a 3GS or 3G iPhone as I use one everyday to watch the news over 3G. Having said that, it works with Quicktime and is not something that the current FFMPEG software that Air Video uses is supporting. Another option would be to use the Nvidia 9400M as a live video converter co-processor which is available on mid-end Macs like Mac Mini and Macbooks and can be bought used at a fair price. Again, the idea of using a co-processor to do live conversion is so that end of line machines are able to work as video servers with enough processing power to encode HD videos down to iPhones or iPads at relative ease. I mean, the course of action today would be for you to buy a high end Mac or PC to do this because the requirements for live conversion currently requires a hefty Core 2 Duo or Quad Core processor.
Actually, there is a device out there you can buy now that can stream a large library of music to the iPhone or iPod through WAN or LAN. It's called the Pogo Plug. Yes, it is a $100 + investment, but it takes any external USB drive that streams music and photos really well. Plus, it acts as a file server for the iPhone (unlimited storage as dictated by the file server) and you can upload/download text or PDF files. You can upload photos and movies from the iPhone 3GS through 3G, WAN and LAN effortlessly by its own free app. The only downside is that, its less capable 1.2Ghz processor is not powerful enough to do live conversion like your desktop machine does, which is where Air Video comes in. But listen, it's cheaper power wise to run a low power NAS device rather than your 600 to 1000W desktop server 24hrs/7day a week. Unless of-course you love paying lots in utility bill.
HotStuff2 wrote:I concur with slaggg. Seriously, does he think that posting on a forum will "get them on it ASAP!"

IMO, it's not even a widely-used codec (at least not at the moment.) It's about as popular as Matroska as far as I can tell. I have yet to even see one video encoded with Elgato's Turbo.264HD. It will probably end up just like the OGG audio codec - great quality, not used by anyone other than "high def" enthusiasts, and not supported by 95% of devices (and software, like Air Video) out there.

But he does need to recognize the hard work these programmers have already done (and are still doing.) They're supporting the masses, not one guy asking for an obscure codec to be supported.

Actually, videos encoded by Elgato Turbo.264HD is playable on any Apple products. It is a h.264 encoded format, so it is a common standard not some obscure format like OGG. To encode a video to h.264, you either use Handbrake (which is excellent) but takes hours, FFMPEG or Turbo H.264HD. HD stands basically for being able to transcode HD content down to an iPod, Apple TV and on an iPad soon at a rate faster than a consumer Mac model. Don't talk about a Core i7 or a 8 core Xeon processor -- they are $3000 to $8000. Turbo H.264HD is cheaper at $150 a pop.

The benefit of Turbo H.264 is the ability to help do live conversion when you are doing remote streaming. You can not effectively do remote streaming on a fixed bitrate, especially with North American consumer asymmetrical internet bandwidth -- you want "variable" bitrate. Variable bit rate is what live conversion on Air Video is, plus transcoding from one format to another. With Air Video's approach, it uses the native processor of the computer which puts a lot of demand and stress especially if you are transcoding high quality 1080p or MKV files down to an iPhone 3GS on a 3G or a low bandwidth WIFI B or G connection. On my Macbook, the fan gets pretty loud and while this is within operating specs, your computer may get less responsive if you decide to use the same computer for other things while your kids stream away on their touches or wifey gets into the soap mode.

We have an Eye TV setup as well and record shows which we can watch later with a mediabox. Eye TV can also stream HD content live from cable to 3G, but having Turbo doing the varible bitrate and transcoding of live feed over 3G feels more efficient. Our computer is more responsive and the fan doesn't get as loud compared to Air Video. My initial request was if Air Video can take advantage of this USB dongle and lower the requirement of live conversion from needing a faster Core 2 Duo or Quad Core to something more conservative. Most people don't really need a Quad Core or fast Core 2 Duo for basic web and word processing. But video conversion and editing poses a challenge with dated Intel systems. We also use the Turbo H.264 to edit our home AVCHD clips and making into a whole movie using iMovie and FCP and the results are stunning, speed wise. To have an equivalent system, you need a Mac Pro $4000 system. To you perhaps, it is a quick justification when you have no big mortgages and family bills to pay and feed. To the rest, any inexpensive ways to get some video conversion going at a reasonable price is helpful.

Again, Turbo H.264 is a useful tool, though it is only useful if people value it.

mattd313 wrote:
DumbTechDude wrote:

TVersity

I am running TVersity right now for the ability to stream to my PS3. Love it.
So I can get a TVersity client to stream to a PC? Never looked into that...

Yes you can on the server level. There is no client software to install unlike Air Video. It uses the flash player to play your video shows.
However, the bandwidth requirement is a bit different than the iPhone or iPad as PC client screen is bigger, so you need to have a bigger upload pipe to watch properly. Otherwise, you'll see blocky artifacts and is not pretty. Minimum 2Mbps upload, best 5 to 10Mbps if you can afford it. Do not confuse this with your download bandwidth which in North American homes are typically faster than upload.
mattd313 wrote:I was wondering the same thing.
I would love to stream some media to my work computer from home.
Somehow I focus better on work when a TV show or movie is on... weird how my brain works.

Actually, I think TVersity is a good candidate and also being free is not bad at all. TVersity is a media server software. On the PC or Mac side, you need a web browser that supports flash player. One common thing with AVS and Tversity is that they both do real time transcoding of media if told.
This is information to all, or perhaps I am wrong..

What you guys and myself are so impressed about how Air Video works may well placed too much credit to inmethod, but unknowingly though most of the credit is probably due to Apple Inc.

Most of of what you guys see on the client side is probably helped by the hardware acceleration that is inherent in all iPad, iPhone and iTouch products that helps HTTP streaming. I have EyeTV Elgato with turbo.264HD and streaming to the phone is simply amazing with 3G. Try that with a netbook, however, and it does not always work so well. There is a reason why Apple did not adopt Adobe flash and this is one of them. Their implementation is less resource dependent and it's great. If it depends on hardware acceleration as noted by Elgato for the iPhone or iPad, where is that hardware acceleration coming from your slow computer. There is a reason why Nvidia made the Nvidia Ion processor for HD viewing for PC netbooks as an option or the new Intel Core i series.

I have a dedicated PC streaming server myself running TVersity and Twonky Media and can serve rather well to any PC or Mac client using Adobe flash via a web browser. TVersity does live conversion like Air Video plus aggregate TV channels from Hulu and Netflix and if it weren't for my iPhone not being able to do Adobe flash, I would probably never consider Air Video at all. TVersity does music and photo serving as well. On a multimedia platform, every media server has strong and weak points. The strong point with Air Video is the fact that it does video streaming so well on the iPhone or iPad and there is nothing even remotely close to it, except Elgato EyeTV. But streaming on a big screen HDTV at 720p/1080p, I will stick with my PC DLNA/uPNP server and my player as I find they offer stronger options and the ability to watch them anywhere on a remote PC terminal.
Hi Admin,

A few days ago, I am starting to get URL Resolver Error server is not reachable message from the client using the pin method. However, when I use the direct method by accessing through my static IP address which I own, it works perfectly. Not only that, static IP is twice as fast logging into my server remotely than pin btw. Anyhow, I thought the pin number changed, but logging into my Mac server through VPN and screen sharing showed the pin number did not change. Connection status is "ok" and good which is no surprise because static IP works just fine. Streams fine, but I now no longer can access the server through the pin method.

I welcome any comments you may have..

DTD.

Forum Index » Profile for DumbTechDude » Messages posted by DumbTechDude
Go to: