[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: HotStuff2
Forum Index » Profile for HotStuff2 » Messages posted by HotStuff2
I must have been confusing it with another app. But the file limit number is what I was looking for. Thanks!
Haven't been here in a while, but wanted to ask a question, as I'm writing up a blog post about Air Video (and it's main competitor.)

What is the difference(s) between the FREE version of Air Video, and the Paid Version?

IIRC, at one time the free version only did B&W video, whereas the full paid version does color (obviously.) But I wanted to check with the admin to find out for sure. Is there a diagram or list somewhere that details the differences (if there are more than a couple)?
altintx wrote:Faking it is good enough. And supposing you're right and the formats are entirely incompatible, then we'll still have built a client on established standards and can swap out the server layer for something that is compatible.
No, "faking it" is NOT "good enough". It's not that "the formats are incompatble" - it's that the Google Android OS simply does not support the HTTP Streaming Protocol - period.

taylorharris50 wrote:Hey HotStuff2 - I guess you are the self appointed expert on this matter?

Searching online pulls some promising articles about other solutions such as:

http://lifehacker.com/5554843/homepipe-streams-music-from-your-pc-to-your-smartphone

Other developers are working on solutions. Maybe Air Video will be one of them.
I never said I was "self-appointed", however I DO happen tp have both knowledge and experience in this area - which, apparently, many of you lack one or the other (or both.) Yes, "other developers" are working on solutions to whatever it is they're doing - Air Video, however, is working on their core user base: the iPhone. If you want to use Air Video, buy an iPhone (or an iPad, or an iPod Touch.)

altintx wrote:The libraries up on Google code now communicate bidirectionally with server. Gonna start browsing UI in the next couple of days.
Yes, but it's still not the HTTP Streaming Protocol - the Google Android version tries to download the entire video file, instead of streaming it from the server, regardless of whether it's communicating bidirectionally with the server or not.
I know this might sound pedantic, but are you sure that you're running the Air Video Server as an administrator? (Either right-mouse click on the .exe or shortcut and choose "Run as Administrator", or go to the properties of the shortcut in the Start Menu, right-mouse click on the shortcut, then chooe Advanced and check the box "Run as Administrator", or go to the Compatability tab, and click the box "Run as Administrator" for the person logged in, or go to Change settings for all users, and check the Run as Administrator for all users.)

That could be part of the issue, for people who don't have UAC disabled (which they should, because UAC is *useless* IMO.)
How many times does this need to be said, before you people will understand? Seriously?!?!?!?

NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Why? Because Android (or any other "smart phone" besides the iPhone) doesn't support the HTTP streaming protocol, which Air Video requires for it to work.

There's nothing for the developers or Admin to do, or to be able to "present" anything, until AND UNLESS Android supports the HTTP streaming protocol. Period.

edit: Oh, and for whomever said that "yes, of course Android supports HTTP streaming, just not the type that Air Video does..." First of all, Air Video is simply using FFmpeg, which is an industry standard. Secondly, no, Android does NOT support HTTP streaming, it supports HTTP progressive streaming, which is Google's way of saying "download the entire video file, then play it back" - which is NOT streaming, and which is why Air Video won't be coming to an Android device near you anytime soon. Not until (or rather, UNLESS) Google's Android OS embraces and SUPPORTS the HTTP streaming standard, instead of trying to call their implementation something it's not.
Try the SEARCH feature. This has been asked and answered at least 3-5 times.

The answer is yes, under ANY Windows OS, not just a server OS.
CJ_Iceman wrote:Dear Developers,

I put a tooth under my pillow this morning hoping that someday you would develop an app for ANDROID and a Microsoft Windows Client Application that could stream from your video server.

I see a HUGE market for this but the reason I am begging on my knees here is because I love your App and tell everyone about it. I LOVE IT. I have owned two generations of iPhones and have just recently switched to my new Sprint HTC EVO 4G that I absolutely LOVE. ANDROID needs Air Video, so please...develop one.

Thanks,

CJ

1. Not the right place to make this request. This is for ANNOUNCEMENTS.

2. This has been requested dozens (if not HUNDREDS) of times already.

3. Finally: NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Why? Because Android (or any other "smart phone" besides the iPhone) doesn't support the HTTP streaming protocol. which Air Video requires for it to work.

Which, if you had SEARCHED before posting this, or heck, even LOOKED AROUND FIRST, you'd have seen the many requests, and the same reply over and over, stating what I just said.
I think I posted this somewhere else, but I haven't sait it here: Air Video won't work on Android - period. Why? The Android OS doesn't support HTML streaming, which is what Air Video uses. The iPhone does.

Ergo, until (and that's an if, actually) the Android OS supports HTML streaming, Air Video won't be coming to the Android OS.

Someone SERIOUSLY asked this?

klepoy wrote:Is this supposed to be working with the latest version? I have this running on my iPad and it works great. My only issue is that it can't play iMovie events.

Thanks.
Maybe you missed what Admin said. Allow me to quote it:
Admin wrote:Well, Air Video uses FFMpeg to do the transcoding. Looks like FFMpeg doesn't support the (proprietary) codec. I'm not sure if (or when) will the support be added. Proprietary codecs usually need to be reverse engineered, which can take lot of time.
The answer would be NO. There's nothing to "fix" - FFmpeg doesn't support the proprietary Apple codec, thus that's why it won't work. If and WHEN FFmpeg reverse engineers it, AND implements support for it, THEN it will work. Until such time, there's nothing Air Video can do about it.
(Firstly, my apologies to Air Video for speaking about another company's app on this forum, but I think it's relevant and helpful. You might also want to take a look at how the author implements it, both the website and the server portion, since it could be very useful for Air Video IMO. You should know from my posts that I'm a very loyal Air Video user, and I wouldn't post this if I thought it wasn't helpful to everyone.)

Everyone seems to be asking for Air Video to support streaming audio as well as video. I don't think it should, as I've said several times; Air Video should continue doing what it does (and does well): streaming video. But that's just my opinion, of course, and we all know what opinions are like.

However, recently I came across something very interesting: the iSub Music Streamer app in the App Store. Much like Air Video, it uses a small server component, called Subsonic, which works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Unix, and has clients for the iPhone, Android, and your computer through the AIR desktop app. (There's also an alternative iPhone app called Z-Subsonic, which I tried, but I like iSub better, personally, and it does exactly what I want/need. From the pictures in the App Store, the playing interface looks almost identical, but I found it a little more difficult to setup on the iPhone, and the Artists/Albums/Songs interface is better in iSub IMO. But you can decide for yourself, both of them use the Subsonic server applications, and the author has released the API in case you want to write an app for it yourself.)

Setup on the iPhone is fairly simple; all it needs is the server URL+port number, username, and password (you can setup multiple servers, and choose which one you want to use. The advantage iSub has over Z-Subsonic is that iSub allows pretty much an unlimited number of audio servers, whereas Z-Subsonic only allows five servers to be defined. This is minor, IMO, as most people won't have more than five servers to choose from, but it's nice to have to capability to add as many as you want, in stead of being limited to just five.)

Setup on the PC is *slightly* more complex; the Subsonic server application is a small executable that runs in the system tray (it happens quickly during the installation, but you might notice that it installs itself as a service in Windows, thus it runs even when no user is logged in, unlike Air Video, which, as I discussed in this thread, Air Video has to use a third-party solution to run as a service.) The small server executable in turn calls a web-based settings interface for the application, allowing for a highly complex set of options (but it's fairly straight-forward to follow the directions.) The web-based settings interface is a great idea IMO, since doing it that way obviously looks and works exactly the same across every OS (hence Windows, Mac, Linux, and Unix will be identical.) I set it up on my Windows 7 media server computer (which also runs the Air Video server component), and I am now able to stream my entire music collection from my PC to my iPhone, just like Air Video allows me to stream my entire video collection.

The iSub Music Streamer iPhone interface is remarkably like the Air Video interface (or even the stock iPod interface) in it's simplicity, and IMO the Subsonic server application is a very powerful application - it has options to stream live TV, podcasts, send (and receive!) chat messages to users, has the option to setup individual users/logins, and it looks like it might even be possible to combine Air Video into the iSub iPhone interface through the Subsonic server application (which I'm working on trying to do, though it's not as easy as it sounds.)

A great feature of the iSub Music Streamer app is that it will grab the cover art for music if it's not there already (for example, I streamed the song "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer", and it - in less than 2 seconds! - grabbed the Dr. Demento's CD "The Greatest Christmas Novelty CD Of All Time" cover art for it [and displayed it on the screen], which I didn't have.) Also, touching the screen produces a slide-in overlay of 3 screens: the first is the song, allowing you to fast-forward/rewind, set it to repeat or shuffle, and shows the track #, year, and bit rate of the song playing; the second screen shows the other tracks you can choose (as part of the album, playlist, etc.), and the third screen shows the buffer status, which is interesting (apparently it only needs to buffer 384k at a time.) Playback of every song I've tried, from a VBR MP3 to a CBR 320kbps MP3, has been smooth and sounds like it's directly on my iPhone. Same goes for other file types, which are transcoded on the fly to MP3 using LAME (for wav to MP3) or FFmpeg (LOL sound familiar? FFmpeg is used for every other type, like OGG, WMA, APE, FLAC, etc.)

One thing, slightly off-topic from all this but actually useful for both apps, is that I recommend the use of a dynamic DNS service; most of us users do not have a static IP address from our internet service providers, thus our IP can change. Subsonic sells an option for this, however I recommend (and use) DynDns, which is a completely free Dynamic DNS service. I've used it for years, and I can vouch for the fact that DynDns is highly reliable (it's never once been out of service, and I've used it since around 2001 or so), and while they have paying options, the free service is all you'll need - plus you can pick whatever domain name you want. Most routers have an option to automatically update a dynamic DNS service if/when your public IP address changes; in fact, most routers specifically include DynDns as an option to use for your dynamic DNS service - that's how popular DynDns is. (If your router supports it, I also highly recommend you install/upgrade your router's firmware to DD-WRT, which has both dynamic DNS options, and implements uPnP on many routers that don't support it with the factory firmware. You can check to see if your router will run DD-WRT by using the DD-WRT Router Database.)

Yes, this means two apps, which a lot of people won't like (everyone wants one app to do everything); I, however, prefer one app that does exactly what it does, and does it well. Air Video does this for video, and frankly, iSub Music Streamer does it for audio. IMO, this is an extremely small sacrifice to make in order for me to achieve my goal, which is to stream my entire audio collection and my entire video collection to my iPhone, so they're both available wherever I go. Using these two apps, my goal has been achieved 100%. iSub Music Streamer is $4.99, and Air Video is $2.99 - so for $7.98, you can have your entire video and audio collection with you wherever you go, no matter how large, and not have to worry if you're running out of storage room on your device. To me, that's dirt cheap for the capabilities these two apps provide.

IMO, until (unless?) Air Video starts streaming audio files, I think these two apps compliment each other very well, and both should be a "must have" for every iPhone/iPad/iTouch user.
I've brought this up before. I'd like the feature as well, but IMO it's actually much more difficult to implement than it initially seems. Not only would Air Video need to work with a number of TV Tuner cards (making a call to the OS isn't that easy; Air Video would need to include support for specific tuners, since a lot of them use one common interface, but others use a specific, proprietary DLL and/or interface), but Air Video would need to be able to force the TV tuner to change channels, which would be problematic; if done in the server executable app, the user can't change the channel in the client - but if it's done in the client, what happens if two people are trying to do it at the same time?

See the problems? I'd like to have the feature, but it's highly complex to implement, IMO, and thus on the backburner while InMethod works on more pressing issues and/or features.
Correct, that is what I was referring to. However, I just tested it, and I was slightly wrong it seems. It appears it works locally (using my internal 192.168.x.x address), but when I use my public IP it doesn't work at all. So unless it's on the same LAN, it won't work (WAN access does not do what I described; which is strange, if it works on the LAN it should work on the WAN.)
I don't want to post it publicly, but I will PM and email it to you so you can see.
Admin wrote:I really don't think this would work. The default port is 45631 but that won't help you. The URL will not work. Protocol that Air Video uses is proprietary and binary, the videos don't have simple URLs like that.
Actually, it DOES work. I've tested it and it does exactly what I said, believe it or not. I wouldn't have posted it if I hadn't tried and tested it myself.

Forum Index » Profile for HotStuff2 » Messages posted by HotStuff2
Go to: