[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: jelockwood
Forum Index » Profile for jelockwood » Messages posted by jelockwood
jboslego wrote:Ok, I figured out how to display subtitles from a .wtv file. You need to do a few steps first and download one program - ccextractor

1. Right click on the .wtv file and select "convert to .dvr-ms"
2. Download and install ccextractor
3. drag the converted .dvr-ms file into the input of ccextractor and make the output a .srt file, start the process in the "execution" tab
4. the .srt file will be automatically created in the same file as the .dvr-ms file.
5. Open Air Video from your iphone/ipad and click on the original .wtv file (not the converted file) but don't play it it, click on the video image and you'll see a subtitle option on the top right, select the .srt option.
6. Select "Play with live Conversion", and your video should play with the subtitles.

This worked for me, make sure that you don't change any file names, the .srt file should be names the same root name as the .wtv file and should be in the same folder. You may have to have subtitles enabled in the Air Video Setting on your computer that contains the .wtv files (you cannot change this on the ipad/iphone)

That sounds like it would work for files containing closed captions (as used in the USA), but would not work for DVB subtitles as used in Europe and other parts of the world. Is there a similar tool to ccextractor for DVB format subtitles? As a reminder DVB subtitles are bitmaps (not text) and are very similar to DVD subtitles.
Another request for this feature. By the way, as well as bare naked VIDEO_TS folders it would be highly desirable for it to support playing VIDEO_TS folders contained in ISO files (which XBMC supports).
Admin wrote:Air Video currently doesn't support closed captions in WTV files.

Does it/will it support DVB subtitles in WTV files? DVB-T (over the air Terrestrial), DVB-C (cable), and DVB-S (Satellite) are widely used around the world especially in Europe and all use the same DVB format for subtitles. These are bitmap in format and very similar to DVD subtitles.

Windows 7 does itself support these subtitles in WTV files.
HotStuff2 wrote:

I doubt there will be a desktop (Windows OR Mac) client; however, the fact that other "smart phone" operating systems (even the Android, which is Unix/Linux-based) do not support the HTTP Live Streaming protocol, and with the advent of HTML5, then it's possible that the client could be written as an HTML5 web-app, thus allowing it to be used on pretty much any smart phone (notably the Android, but the iPhone as well.) It wouldn't be a native iPhone app if it were HTML5, but it would run on any browser, including a desktop PC. But the Air Video iPhone app could still be used for iPhones, and the HTML5 web-app for other devices.

To me, that seems like it would kill two birds with one stone: an Android OS web-based client, and since it's HTML5, it could run on a standard PC as well. Video size, however, would need to be either auto-selected (preferable), or user-selectable (an option, though more code to write.)

BUT, since it would be an HTML5 web-app, the problem of how to charge for it comes up. For that, I think Voice Central's Black Swan (an HTML5 web-app for Google Voice) is a good example.. For the "free version", it's ad-supported, or users can pay a yearly subscription to get no ads. And since there's really no way to pirate an HTML5 web-app, that's a plus as well. (And before any of you say "what about ad-blocking software, like Ad-Block in Firefox?", it can be coded to either not work if ad blocking software is active, or to show ads even if ad blocking software is enabled, as Black Swan is.)

After seeing all the excitement over AirVideo I came to their site specifically to see if it could be used to stream to a Mac or PC and was disappointed to see it could not. So firstly +1 from me as well.

Like HotStuff2 says, the obvious solution is to use HTML5 and a webclient. Regarding charging, I had thought charging was going to be solely by charging for the server software not for the client. If they had made the client free but the server not, then this problem would have been avoided. It maybe too late, but perhaps they should consider inverting their pricing model.

Forum Index » Profile for jelockwood » Messages posted by jelockwood
Go to: