[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: ManWithAPlan
Forum Index » Profile for ManWithAPlan » Messages posted by ManWithAPlan
Anybody try running AirVideo server on Mountain Lion Server yet? I'll be migrating my current Snow Leopard Server to ML Server, and curious if AirVideo will still work. Shouldn't be a problem, but one never knows...

Thanks!
Admin wrote:Hi,

if you can play the video using "Play" (they are MP4) the passthrough doesn't give you any advantage. Passthrough makes sense to use when the video is in format that is not natively supported by iPhone (MKV).

Ahh, okay!!! Well, for me anyway, that means I'll just stick with "Play" because literally all of my movies are .m4v files (mp4 with different extension), that came from the .mkv rips of BluRay's I own. As long as I'm still able to get my 5.1 surround mixes to come through, which they seem to just fine, that's all I really need (in addition to excellent video quality of course!). I prefer keeping things in the .m4v Handbrake output format, so that I can just use 1 version of every movie for all my different local/remote streaming tools/venues (web,AirVideo,Subsonic, etc.).

Thanks for the reply!
Admin et al.,

I thought I had this figured out, but a bit confused as it turns out, having just read a couple of Admin's recent posts. I have the latest Beta (3) and the brand new AirVideo client on my iPhone4. Sitting here on my local LAN, I see options like always for "Play" and "Play with Live Conversion"...my typical operating procedure for 2 years has been to simply use "Play" when I'm here on the local LAN and "Play with Live Conversion" when I'm remote. My understanding (perhaps wrong) was that regular "Play" meant that there was no coversion of the file at all. Is that correct???? Of course, I understand I have to Play with Live conversion when I'm remote, the bandwidth on my remote connection (especially 3G) is not going to be nearly enough to play without converting, I totally get that. But again, my confusion is that I always thought simple "play" meant no conversion at all, just my straight HB-encode was coming through (typically m4v output from Handbrake, usually "High Profile"). The confusion comes in because now we have "passthrough", and I've enabled that of course, but not sure how to invoke it. More importantly, I don't understand how that is any different than simple "Play". Again, keep in mind I have perfect encodes from the latest Handbrake (0.9 and they are all .m4v files using Handbrake's "High" preset. I use Airplay to display from my iphone4 onto my AppleTV3. I also use AirVideo client on the Mac from time to time when I'm traveling. I have all my native BluRay rips from makemkv as well, so the large source rips are in my posession (and yes, I own all these movies). I have never tried streaming a native .mkv (they are like 30GB apiece, but I suppose I could if there is some benefit quality-wise). I have a 70inch Sharp Elite TV, so any additional quality I can get on my local LAN here would be great.

Can you set me straight here guys? What am I missing about the difference between "Play" and the new "passthrough" option?? I have a 5.1 surround system audio-wise btw, if that matters.

Thanks!! Absolutely could not live without AirVideo, it's easily the most impressive app I've got, and nearly completes my plan for world domination and all that

Forum Index » Profile for ManWithAPlan » Messages posted by ManWithAPlan
Go to: