[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: edrikk
Forum Index » Profile for edrikk » Messages posted by edrikk
Agree 100%, and I posted something similar in the announcements thread.

It's just strange to do a complete rewrite when what's there already works so well, and the things that people are asking are mainly cosmetic items. The most commonly asked item is actually ability to password protect some folders... As a former dev, given the level of security that such a function in such an app would require (i.e. not bullet proof) that's not a significant undertaking.

I remember reading that rewrite was needed to get away from Java and to improve the 'conversion pipeline', which is great, but again, for a paid app, not quite what the users want... Whether it's Java or .Net, people have to install 'something' unless the code is being written in Standard C/C++. And as for ffmpeg, although I'm not a fan of the fact that airvideo has (slightly) modified it, at least it's code maintained by a 'big body.' I hope the rewrite / conversion pipeline enhancements aren't building this into the app.

At the end of the day, I think this app really needs more clarity / communication to the users, and (for the lack of a better term) better Project Management. Again, after-all, it's a paid app, and with that, some 'leeway' that freeware allows for (in my opinion) goes away.

Just my 2 cents. And I tried to write that in as objective way as possible.
This post was incorrectly posted in the wrong thread.

Placing in correct thread:

------------
Given the amount of time since the last update, I honestly wouldn't hold my breath for a new release... I'm not saying never, but let's not kid ourselves... It's been almost 1 year now.

I hope the author sees that the community has been very patient, it's reached a point where too much longer of a wait, or a miss-step in the 'handling' of the next release will result in people not coming back.

(personal feeling/rant: After 1 year, I assume that the code is in good enough shape to post an executable for... At least in 'beta' form... It's not like the current version is 'non-beta').
Given the amount of time since the last update, I honestly wouldn't hold my breath for a new release... I'm not saying never, but let's not kid ourselves... It's been almost 1.5 years now.

I hope the author sees that the community has been very patient, it's reached a point where too much longer of a wait, or a miss-step in the 'handling' of the next release will result in people not coming back.

(personal feeling/rant: After 1.5 years, I assume that the code is in good enough shape to post an executable for... At least in 'beta' form... It's not like the current version is 'non-beta').
ddn2003 wrote:Will there ever be an update to Air Video? We are still waiting for so many features to be release!

I'm afraid that it's been so long since the last version, that a lot of Products have supplemented Air Video in terms of data sharing. I think the addition of DLNA capabilities to PLEX Server have made it the king of the hill right now... Even in its early stages, it's amazing what Plex is doing with the metadata it has, and using it to serve out not only to its Plex App, but also any DLNA client.

PS. XBMC is also, as part of GSoC (Google Summer of Code) looking to greatly enhance its DLNA capabilities, hopefully bringing that up to Plex.

At this point (at least for me), Air Video seems to be on its last legs... I hope the next update comes out and I'm completely wrong.
philv wrote:Hi,

Local and remote access works in uk.

I am now in france in a hotel using the hotels wifi connection.

I am getting the following message -

Url resilver error
Tracker service seems to be down.

It was working earlier today in the uk remotely.

Is this a firewall problem with the hotel wifi blocking the tracker?
Or is it possibly something else?

Iis there anything i can do?

Thanks,
Phil

By this bug I'm sure you mean the typo right? "Resilver"...

Don't know why... Had to post to put in that comment..
coolspot wrote:
Shadowbottle wrote:Is there any way to manually disable conversion? Not live conversion that's fine, but conversions have been initiated accidentally and I'd just like to disable them completely.

Also, are any clients being developed for other mobile platforms besides iOS? Just curious.

I agree, would be nice to have an option to disable manual conversion. Live conversion works just fine for me.

Thanks.

Yup... I've asked for this before... long time ago...
phoanglong wrote:Hi there,

I have followed this guide to install Air Video on Ubuntu 10.04 Server, but when i tried to use play with live conversion, it doesn't work at all. I can see that it was loading but after 3-4s, it turned off. Don't really know what happen.

DEBUG: Encoder: Unrecognized option '-conversion-id'
DEBUG: LiveConversion: Encoder Process Done, closing segmenter.

some helps plz.

I bet you're not using the ffmpeg that came with Air Video. It has added the 'conversion-id' which is not in base ffmpeg.
Or the free Media Link Player Lite...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/media-link-player-lite/id313455652?mt=8

(different iPad and iPhone versions)
cladmonitor wrote:If the App was free then maybe wouldn't get my panties in a wad but its a charged app, so no sense to get a passive aggressive response when we post that there is an issue. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my 2 cents.

You spent less than a Starbucks coffee on the App. Relax.
cladmonitor wrote:Admins are real charmers here...

"We Know this"

and

"Of Course"

Well, WTF else do you want/think? The guy said he knows about the issue... You think he's just going to leave it be?
Come on man!

You're running BETA OS. The issue is probably a change caused by the Beta OS which the client has to take care of... So: 1) It will get fixed by the dev. 2) After it is submitted to Apple, expect a 1-2 week wait before it's available in iTunes.

Just based on the server settings, it doesn't look like the item asked for by most folks ("Parental Control") has been implemented yet.
Also, still no way to control the client's ability to create converted files (although at least now you can say where to store the file, so your library is not screwed up).
+1

(that makes it an even 1000 overall in the forum I think )
I've seen this same question posted 10 times in the last 3 weeks...
I don't know why people don't search... sigh.
unknown_inc wrote:This feature isn't available - yet...

Quite possibly the most asked for (and important) item that's not yet available.
I actually bought this program with the thought that this item would be added shortly... still waiting.
+1

Forum Index » Profile for edrikk » Messages posted by edrikk
Go to: