[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: ToeCutter
Forum Index » Profile for ToeCutter » Messages posted by ToeCutter
santiagodraco wrote:
ToeCutter wrote:Help me out here: Why would anyone even need a client for a Windows/Mac desktop?
I stream 1080p via SMB all the time?
This simply isn't required, and would represent a monumental waste of resources, IMHO.

For a lot of reasons.
1. You are on the road and want to access your movies from home. Try running your 1080p movies over a hotel or mobile broadband connection.

That's not going to happen, regardless of the client you intend to use.
2. You are running a lower powered Windows based PC that can't natively handle your 1080p movie playback.

You're going to need a PC that can at least transcode the source video, regardless of what client you intend to use.
3. Your network can't handle the streaming of that 35gb ripped blu-ray.

Apply answer to question one here as well.
4. You want to build a super low cost extender for movie playback in other rooms.

Any media player (VLC, MPC-HC, Mplayer) can stream over a network.
5. The list goes on...

I dunno, these points are pretty weak and seem to focus on 3G streaming, which is fraught with technical networking issues that have little to do with the client and server. And if you're focusing on 3G streaming, you've just reduced the prospective customer base significantly. And I'm just some guy posting in a forum. If you've failed to convince me, it's pretty unlikely you're going to convince a project manager at InMethod in developing a client that end up competing with countless free solutions that do essentially the same thing.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but imo, your opinion is wrong.

You can say I'm wrong, but what will ultimately determine "who's wrong" is whether or not InMethod releases an Air Video client for Windows or Mac, which is a simple risk/reward consideration. There's so much more to consider beyond whether it "could" be done.

Considering they'd be competing with dozens of completely FREE solutions that can do so much more, the risk seems pretty high. It seems highly unlikely they'd dedicate the resources for such a small subset of the market vs. the millions of iPhone/iPad users willing to drop a few bucks in the App Store.

I think it's far more likely they'll improve the product they've already finished. I would like to see .VOB and .ISO support long before I'd vote for a Win/Mac client.

Imagine that tagline in the App Store: Watch DVDs on iPad!

There are many others that share this opinion if you read beyond this thread.

What you (and just about every poster to this thread) has failed to understand is why Air Video is so popular: It's due to the popularity of the platform it supports, as much as for what it does.

With some of newer dev tools released by Palm, iPhone apps can be ported rather easily.

Given the success with the Mac platforms, I imagine demand for a WebOS client would be rather high.

Easy distribution via Palm's App Catalog as well...
Help me out here: Why would anyone even need a client for a Windows/Mac desktop?

I stream 1080p via SMB all the time?

This simply isn't required, and would represent a monumental waste of resources, IMHO.

Have you adjusted the bit rate setting under the Global Settings button, or did you simply I install everything, try a 1080p clip over an 802.11b wireless connection, and come here to whine about how horrible the app performs?

This app is *easily* the best video streaming solution for iPad. Period.

Instead of coming in here and throwing a tantrum like a 4 year old, why not simply ask for some help?

Now go to your room and convert some videos using Handbrake until we feel you've matured!

Forum Index » Profile for ToeCutter » Messages posted by ToeCutter
Go to: