[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: kuebler
Forum Index » Profile for kuebler » Messages posted by kuebler
Thank you for your quick answer.

Admin wrote:It is possible that you can't see any difference because of the quality of original file.

This may be the case. But I still would ask, whether it is intended to significantly increase the file size then...

If you had higher quality original file the difference would be visible. We did have changed the quantization values, to get the same bitrate you will need to lower the quality setting. We did get lot of complains that the quality was too low on highest settings in beta6, that is why.

I can understand your reasoning for making the change, and I do not have an immediate better suggestion.

But I still have doubts, whether your balance of characteristics with beta 7 is how it could/should be in beta 8
jebbbz wrote:(First post so let me add thanks for the software. Air Video and Atomic Web Browser account for, oh, 90% of my iPad usage.)

First of all: let me second that.

But because I value Air Video high, I do feel entitled to express some criticism:

My limited experience with beta7 has been problem-free but I note the following changes that might interst others with offline conversions.
I tested a five minute HD clip and found a 30 gave me a 1280x720 1200Kbps recording while a 100 setting gave me a 6100Kbps recording with, of course, a five-times bigger file 40% the size of the original 1920x1080 MPEG2 clip. For me, 100 is overkill but I expect it will at least partly satisfy the quality-fans.

I worked with beta 6 (always the latest subversion) since long, and I had carefully evaluated, which conversion settings were most adequate for my usage with a MacMini under Lion and an iPad 2 with IOS 5.01. I had settled with the parameters:
- max width 1024 px
- max height 720 px
- quality for offline conversion 80%

Today I converted offline a TV broadcast of the following characteristics (according to what the latest VLC tells me):
- SD PAL, 45 min, 550MB mp4 file, 852x480 25 fps MPEG-4 AVC (Part 10), MPEG AAC (mp4a) 48000 Hz

With the above mentioned parameter settings, beta 6 made the following file from it:
- 45 min, 379MB m4v file, 864x480 25 fps VC Coding, 1.14 MBit/s, 48000 Hz

With the same parameter settings, beta 7 made the following file from it:
- 45 min, 789MB m4v file, 864x480 25 fps VC Coding, 2.37 MBit/s, 48000 Hz

I have to say, that I found it a bit careless on the side of InMethod, that the software now generates a twofold file size (at first glance I even cannot recognize a significant quality difference), thus rendering user adjustments made with beta 6 totally irrelevant.

For the moment, I've gone back to beta 6.
Really nobody can help?
pavram wrote:When I launch a live conversion using AirVideoServer this is the commandline that ffmpeg is launched with.

I checked this using a program called: "ProcessExplorer" (is kind of like windows TaskManager on steroids)

First of all: thank you so much for your well-thought and elaborated answer!

Sometimes a good answer helps the questioner to grasp, that his question was not so well-thought at all. In my case because never ever in my life I would be able to deal with those native ffmpeg commands...

What I implicitly was (and am) looking for is a lower level specification, but somewhere between the beauty of Air Videos resolution/quality-percentage and the "ugliness" of a native ffmpeg command line. An example is the specification requested by Toast and others, as shown in the attachment (english versions are probably similar).

If I would know how very roughly to translate an Airvideo "480x320 / 80%" specification into the various options in this window, and if further on I would learn, how to reflect varying quality percentages other than 80% with this Toast/ffmpeg parameter specification, then I would be happy and could do my own further experiment.

Thinking about the matter also lets me modify my original second question: What specification and characteristics for the downconverted m4p files are best for the live conversion and streaming process, which is forced when the iPhone has to access the Airvideo server on my Mac via a 3G network? In other words: which type of server files, and with which kind of optimization, do I have to generate with e.g. Toast, for minimizing the 3G-bandwidth needed by my iPhone? This aspect of the optimization sure is much more important than minimizing the file size on the server.

Thanks anybody for further support.
I'm using Airvideo ever more, and now I have to convert on my Mac server 500 videos recorded in 1080i AVCHD (from a Lumix GH2) into iPhone files with 480x320 resolution and 80% quality, which I have found to work best re the balance of storage/bandwidth and quality. For this process I have now 2 questions:

1. Because the Airvideo server only allows manual adding of each single file for subsequent batch conversion (which is a lot of work for 500 files), I want to do the batch job with Roxio Toast 11 or Shedworx VoltaicHD, which both use the same ffmpeg conversion engines as Airvideo does. But those only allow a low level specification of this ffmpeg conversion, and I don't know into which specifications the elegant Airvideo specification of 480x320 and 80% is translated. Could somebody be so kind to give this information to me?

2. Because I want to access those files via AirVideo fron the iPhone by using a 3G network on the road, a live conversion is forced, although the files are already converted into a format well suited for the iPhone. Is there anything with the conversion which I'm doing according to 1., which makes this 2nd live conversion as efficient as possible? Or doesn't it matter?

Many thanks for helping me with information.
When I started the Airvideo system for viewing 1080i AVCHD files on my iPad, the default Global Settings were 800 px x 448 px and I was satisfied with file size versus quality. But I don't remember, what was the default setting for the "Quality for Offline Conversion" percentage parameter.

Now for some reason the Global Settings on my iPad are corrupt, and I don't know what was (and is) the best default compromise for the "Quality for Offline Conversion" setting. I also could not find information about that in the FAQ or elsewhere here in the forum.

Thank you for telling me this percentage number.
Admin wrote:We have to always use live conversion, that's requirement from Apple.

If Steve Jobs would have been born earlier, he could have easily dethroned a Josef Stalin, who would have paled in comparison

If you rename the converted file (i.e. remove the -airvideo suffix) you should be able to play it using live conversion.

Thanks a lot for the hint

I don't want to appear insatiable, but as a layman I ask whether there would be a chance of some sort of (semi-) automation for this procedure?
I'm most happy with Air Video for my iPad, and I have only 2 wishes:

a) a small one: allow batch-conversion of some kind, e.g. for a whole folder, because putting every single snippet into the queue by hand clicking is a bit cumbersome.

b) an important one (from my perspective): I use a late'09 Mac Mini as Server, where I have lots of 1920x1080 AVCHD videos from a Canon HF10 and a Lumix GH1. Playing them with live-conversion doesn't really work, so I have to pre-convert them (therefore my above wish a). However, when playing them from outside of my home network via a 3G network, I get a message, that via a 3G network only live-conversion is allowed (due to some sort of dynamic streaming required).

However, with my FullHD videos this doesn't work with my Mac Mini! So I'm stuck during travel. But I guess, that the required dynamic streaming might work even better with your pre-converted *.m4v files, because they are only 12% the size of the original AVCHD files, and because they would give a standardized interface for your software.

So, please, please, support playing converted m4v-videos from using a 3G network. Here in Europe, we have very comprehensive 3G network coverage everywhere, but not everywhere do we have WLAN access.
Admin wrote:Hi,
you don't select the files themselves, you should select the folder containing them.

Thank you very much. Indeed this works.

However, because my *.mts files are 1920x1080 AVCHD, the whole thing is very slow and extremely jerky in live conversion.

But I sure cannot complain. I'll experiment a bit with pre-conversion.
bobcubsfan wrote:First, this app is remarkable. I am impressed that it plays back mts files with no conversion. AVCHD is so compressed that this is quite an accomplishment from my view.

I'm no expert in the matter and bought AirVideo for my iPad for trying to play AVCHD files from my Canon HF10 videocam und from my new Lumix GH1.

Then I found out, that the server running on my Mac Mini can't access those *.mts files. They are greyed out when I try to open them with the server.

This is no complaint, just my history. But when I searched through the forum, I noticed the above
it plays back mts files with no conversion

This made me hoping again, that there may be a way that I hadn't recognized.

Can somebody be so kind to educate a layman? Thanks a lot.

Forum Index » Profile for kuebler » Messages posted by kuebler
Go to: