[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: E71
Forum Index » Profile for E71 » Messages posted by E71
santiagodraco wrote:
ToeCutter wrote:Help me out here: Why would anyone even need a client for a Windows/Mac desktop?

I stream 1080p via SMB all the time?

This simply isn't required, and would represent a monumental waste of resources, IMHO.

For a lot of reasons.

1. You are on the road and want to access your movies from home. Try running your 1080p movies over a hotel or mobile broadband connection.
2. You are running a lower powered Windows based PC that can't natively handle your 1080p movie playback.
3. Your network can't handle the streaming of that 35gb ripped blu-ray.
4. You want to build a super low cost extender for movie playback in other rooms.
5. The list goes on...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but imo, your opinion is wrong.

1. Good point.
2. Even low powered netbooks can handle 1080p video now, if you're running on really old hardware, it's time to upgrade.
3. 100Mbps+ wired / 108Mbps+ wireless should be able to easily handle that. Only 54Mbps wireless and 10Mbps wired networks would struggle. Surely you're not running on those... and if you are, there are plenty of cheap & effective networking kits available on eBay.
4. This is just a repeat of #2.

So, in my opinion, only 1 good point made.
ToeCutter wrote:Help me out here: Why would anyone even need a client for a Windows/Mac desktop?

I stream 1080p via SMB all the time?

This simply isn't required, and would represent a monumental waste of resources, IMHO.

:?:

^ This.

Just use network shares on your server/NAS and either MPC HC or VLC on your client machine.

I can only think of two scenarios where you'd need an AirVideo desktop client of which the latter only applies to laptops:
  • Your desktop or laptop is so weak it can't handle certain codecs at higher resolutions... but then if that's the case, your gear is seriously outdated and you should consider upgrading.
  • You constantly need to convert large high quality video files to smaller lossy MP4s for taking with you on your laptop.

• Although I don't have first hand experience with 1+0 configs, I doubt very much that you'll experience a performance hit over JBOD, assuming you're using a proper hardware RAID controller.

I've used 0/1/5/6 and with the exception of RAID 1, they've all improved disk performance.

I guess the answer to your question depends on whether you're planning to serve multiple users at the same time.

With AVS, I think the main bottleneck when serving multiple users is the CPU but too many large files being read at the same time from the same disk can slow things down to a crawl too, which is where the RAID comes in handy.
    Admin wrote:The truth is that only around half a percent of site visitors are running Linux.

Never base your decision on the OS being used to browse your site.

A lot of people use Windows or Mac OS X to browse but have a dedicated 24/7 NAS or Fileserver running Linux and it's obviously that Linux-based system they want AVS for, not their desktop PCs.

-----------------

<personal opinion>
    I don't think any flavor of Linux is that great for desktop use, mostly due to the lack of availability of popular third party software and hardware drivers but also because of its complexity (scares away the inexperienced). It's only good for running as a shell-based / GUI-less server OS and also for development. Most people use Windows, and to a lesser extent Mac OS X for all their desktop OS needs, like browsing your site.
    </personal opinion>
    I really don't like Plex thanks to the slowness and instability, which is probably due to the size of my video library.

In fact, I love AVS because it's a simple video player without all the video info scraping, thumbs and what not that do nothing but slow down the app and make it unstable.

If there's anything I wish for with regards to AVS, it's that it doesn't become like Plex -- I have a large XBMC library to manage, I don't need another one on my iPhone/iPad... >:(
    Admin wrote:It's still work in progress.

That is good news. Can't wait for the Java-less version. I've wanted to run AVS on a (java-less) RHEL based server for so long.

Thanks for the hard work and Happy New Year!

Forum Index » Profile for E71 » Messages posted by E71
    Go to: