[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: jpoll
Forum Index » Profile for jpoll » Messages posted by jpoll
Just wanted to leave some feedback regarding the new 2.4.6 beta 3.

I installed this on my Mac Mini server, and installed the latest client on my iPad 3. I'm connecting via a home WiFi network using an old Airport Extreme (the "pyramid"). This setup has functioned fine for me in the past. Unfortunately, I ran into some problems with the new software:

The client would find the server, and allow me to navigate through the folders containing my .M4V files (which are about 95% created with Handbrake), but it was unable to generate preview thumbnails for the files (I would just get a continuous spinning gear icon). If I attempted to play a video, I would get an "Unexpected Error" alert. No matter if I tapped "Submit error report" or "Cancel", another "Unexpected error" box would appear, followed by the client crashing. At this point I would be stuck, as any attempt to re-launch the client on my iPad would immediately generate the "Unexpected Error" alert, followed by a crash.

I deleted the client, and re-installed it from the App Store, but the problem persisted.

I then deleted the beta 3 off my Mac Mini and re-installed my older version (2.4.3), and now the client works again. The only odd thing is that I cannot select alternate audio tracks on the client. I can tap on "Stream 2" or "Stream 3", and the checkbox will jump to the appropriate stream, but I only hear the main (Stream 1) when playing back.

Hi there,

I'm using your app on my iPad to stream video from my Mac Mini server. Love it ! Wonderful app.

I have a question/request concerning the Live Conversion feature. I have some QuickTime MOVs which contain an H264 720p video stream, and a 5.1 audio stream. These videos play great on the iPad, but the sound doesn't work as the iPad doesn't support the 5.1 audio. I can fix all this by using the Live Conversion, but it seems to convert *everything* - both video and audio. My old Mac Mini is an early model (CoreDuo only), and seems to have a hard time keeping up a good conversion quality as far as the 720p video goes (it gets very blocky and smeary).

I was wondering if it would be possible for the Live Conversion to split off the video and audio streams of the original file, and only process what needs to be converted - so in my example, the H264 720p video would be sent "as is" with no conversion, while the 5.1 audio would be converted to a format the iPad can understand. This should cut down on the workload for older CPUs, allow the original video to be viewed in its original form, but still allow me to hear sound as well. The same system could be applied for those situations where the audio is already in a playable format, but just the video needs conversion.

Or would trying to do this just lead to nasty audio/video sync issues?

Finally, add me to the list of those who would love to see music streaming from my iTunes library as well. I don't quite get why Apple hasn't included Bonjour iTunes sharing on the iPad (at least, not that I can find), so a third party solution would be great !

Thanks again for the great app,
JP

Forum Index » Profile for jpoll » Messages posted by jpoll
Go to: