[Logo] Air Video Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Moderation Log] Moderation Log   [Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: whatup
Forum Index » Profile for whatup » Messages posted by whatup
Has anyone tried client version 2.4.1 with Alpha 4? I'd like to update the client, but it states that it requires the "new" server version, and there's no new alpha, that I can see (which brings up a thought: is there a beta build? Is there a plan for that?)
Mo3 wrote:

The above line indicates that you probably don't have "execute" permissions on the file "/home/moritz/Desktop/Filme/ffmpeg". I tend to give most files permissions "755", meaning the owner can read, write and execute, while group and other users can only read and execute.

Try this line: . This recursively changes all permissions in this directory to 755. If you get "permission denied" when running this command, try running it with sudo.

Also, is "/home/moritz/Desktop/Filme/ffmpeg" the path to the executable file, or the directory containing the executable? The properties files expects the path to the executable, not the directory. Just a thought.
pyro1509 wrote:

The above line points to the error. The Java runtime is trying to execute "/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg", but can't. This is usually because (a) the file doesn't exist or (b) the permissions for "/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg" aren't set correctly.

Try this

This will list the details for the file. If you see then your ffmpeg executable is missing. Otherwise, you have two options (probably more, but let's look at two):

1) The following gives everyone permission to read and execute /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg.
2) The next line will execute the script as root (as long as you have sudo set up and root has execute permissions on the file. see http://quaid.fedorapeople.org/sudo-tutorial/)
trilby wrote:
or try detaching it by running it with "&" as in:

Not to step on your toes, but as a suggestion, I would recommend:

"nohup" allows the script to keep running after you exit your shell. Using "&" alone runs the risk that the script to die when you quit your shell (if the shell sends the SIGHUP signal, the script will die. nohup tells the script to ignore SIGHUP). Using "&" alone may work in most shells, but some will kill all background processes when they quit.

"2>&1" tells the script to log errors and regular output to the same file.

">airvideo.log" tells the script to send output into airvideo.log. This file will get VERY large after a while, so I'd only use this for debugging purposes.

"&" at the end tells the script to run in the background.

As another suggestion, I like to manage my own Java JRE/SDK installations:

1) download a new JRE from java.sun.com and extract it to /home/apps (giving me a directory named "/home/apps/jdk1.6.0_18/" which contains the bin/, jre/ and lib/ directories).

2) create a symbolic link named "/home/apps/java" which points to the latest JRE (`ln -s /home/apps/jdk1.6.0_18/ /home/apps/java`).

3) set JAVA_HOME to /home/apps/java in the .bashrc file in my home directory. (`export JAVA_HOME=/home/apps/java`)

4) include /home/apps/java/bin in your path (`PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH`)

This way, all you need to do to update your JRE is (1) extract a new JRE where-ever you want and (2) update the /home/apps/java link to point to the new JRE directory. This gives you more control over which version of java you use, and don't have to rely on packages rolled together by your linux distribution (which may or may not include/lack features you need).
Subdirectories are working fine for me on alpha4 with Ubuntu 9.04 on an ext3 fs.

Can you post your log?
Try running the AirVideo server directly from the command line and post the output here. For instance, my command is:

change your paths as necessary and post the output here.
Great work releasing a linux version. I just bought the paid app on AppStore, and would gladly pay (donate, whatever) for future versions.

Could you publish all of the possible properties for the properties file? I'm curious if there are properties we're missing, since we don't have a gui (which I personally don't need). Specifically, I'm interested to know if we can change the default suffix for converted files (from " - airvideo.m4v" to ".m4v"...makes scp'ing files a little easier) or change the directory where converted files are stored (".converted/" or "converted/"...the server software could just as easily look in that folder to see if the converted file exists, and replace the link shown to the client). More customization == better!

Thanks again. Good job.

P.S. for those of you who want to watch these files locally on your ipad/iphone/ipod after converting, look at GoodReader. It has a webdav server module, so you can upload converted files directly to GoodReader and watch them in GoodReader also! Have to be on WiFi to access the webdav server (or my3g, I guess). Also have a look at "cadaver" in linux...command-line client for putting files onto a webdav server.

Forum Index » Profile for whatup » Messages posted by whatup
Go to: